banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha THR 10x (Cab sims disabled) + Power Amp + 1" x 12" = ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha THR 10x (Cab sims disabled) + Power Amp + 1" x 12" = ???

So, from reading the title of this thread, I am sure everyone thinks I am insane. This is my first post here too. I recently downloaded an Android app caller THR Librarian, and it lets me actually disable the cabinet simulation on my THR 10x. I am now able to use any IR that I want, and it doesn't sound like **** like it did when the cab sims were enabled. This got my wheels turning (not sure if that is always a good thing.. )... Could you use a THR 10x, run it through something like an Electro Harmonix 44 Magnum, or some other power amp, and then send it through a cabinet? You'd have to use the headphone out, but Yamaha claims that it is a line out as well.

I am sure a lot of you will be scratching your heads at the question, but I already have the THR 10x, and want to have a nice loud amp and cabinet to play through. Something that I could take with me to a buddy's house.. Granted, I could buy something else, and I eventually will probably buy a nice little lunchbox tube head down the road sometime. But I am currently saving money for that, and it makes no sense whatsoever to buy something until I have enough to get what I want. If I buy a nice 1 x 12 cabinet and a cheap power amp pedal, and the idea turns out to be a bad one, no big deal, I can use the cabinet with a new head, and hold on to the power amp pedal.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Or, has anyone tried what I have proposed?

Re: Yamaha THR 10x (Cab sims disabled) + Power Amp + 1" x 12" = ???

Hmmn, either I am really on to something, or bat s**t crazy for having this idea.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

You may be on to something here. This would be a good, cheap way to some IR goodness. Just add a PowerStage 170 and your cab of choice. Use the EQ from the THR, like a normal preamp. I didn't realize the Yamaha app allows you to do this. Now I am wondering what the difference is between the different THR models...just gain levels? Can you turn a C into an X with the app? Interesting...
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Welcome to the forum!

You may be on to something here. This would be a good, cheap way to some IR goodness. Just add a PowerStage 170 and your cab of choice. Use the EQ from the THR, like a normal preamp. I didn't realize the Yamaha app allows you to do this. Now I am wondering what the difference is between the different THR models...just gain levels? Can you turn a C into an X with the app? Interesting...
        The App that allows you to disable cab sims is for Android, but Yamaha's App does not. The difference between the THR models is not only the gain levels, but also the amps that are being modeled. The X model has 5 high gain modeled amps, the C model has 5 lower gain models, and the standard model has a mix of both. I have not played on any of the other models, but I am very pleased with my purchase of the X model. It's got all the gain you could possibly use, and has infinite ways that it can be tweaked using either the Yamaha editor, or the Android App.

Check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thpy1EijThs

This guy is clearly thinking outside the box with his THR amp. I'd have never thought to do any of the things he recommends in this video, but they really do help to liven up the sound.

Comment

Some very cool ideas. If the modeling engine can be hacked, then you could theoretically turn it into anything you needed. I think there is room for an amp that allows you to load, say, 5 amp models from a list and 5 IRs. That would sell.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
          X