Played the new Marshall DSL and Origin amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played the new Marshall DSL and Origin amps

My local GC got in the new Marshall DSL40CR and the 5-watt combo in the Origin series.

I played both, not enough for a top-to-bottom review, but enough to get the gist of both amps.

The Origin is really, really low gain. It wants to be cranked to give up the goods. I didn't want to be "that guy" in the store, so I didn't crank it. The base tone was, in my opinion, a bright but dirty clean, if that makes any sense. If the other Origins are like the 5-watter, I'd guess that they make good pedal platforms. For your affordable AC/DC experience, this is probably your best bet.

The DSL40CR was a very pleasant surprise. It's exactly as advertised - like the previous DSL40C, just better. The Ultra Gain channel isn't as trebly now. The Classic Gain channel seems to have more gain. It can get surprisingly gnarly, especially with humbuckers, and I found myself actually backing down the gain after having dimed it, like I always did with the 40C. I'm not sure of the need for a ferocious, darker JTM-type tone, but the extra range in the dial might be useful with lower output pickups. If previously you dimed the gain on the Classic Gain channel in the 40C, then hit it with an overdrive (a common use case, I believe), you might not need the overdrive now.

The shared EQ is now more even across both channels, though the Ultra Gain channel is still quite bright - I found myself gravitating towards 9 o'clock on treble, as opposed to zero (7 o'clock) on the DSL40C.

The speaker in the 40CR is now a Celestion V-Type, as opposed to the 70/80 in the 40C. I can't pinpoint how much tonal change came from that swap, versus the circuit changes, but the overall package works. Unlike the 40C, you aren't immediately thinking of changing out the speaker.

Overall, the 40CR just feels good, coherent, and usable. None of this "the 40C is good *except* you have to change out the speaker and snip the bright cap" stuff. This 40CR sounds good out of the gate. It's nice when a manufacturer considers user requests and complaints and makes an improved iteration of a product.

One cool addition in the 40CR is 2 new knobs, separate master volumes for each channel. This could allow you to set up one channel with a boosted level. Combined with a 6-button footswitch (which may or may not be available yet) to access all 4 modes across the 2 channels, this amp could be giggable with no dirt pedals. 4 usable Marshall tones at $750 (+ footswitch cost) is a pretty decent proposition, and Marshall may end up cannibalizing sales of their JVMs with these new DSLs.
    Last edited by stratguy23; 05-17-2018, 10:45 PM.

Re: Played the new Marshall DSL and Origin amps

My experience with the 5W origin is the same as yours. A low gain amp with a dirty clean, I really wanted to crank it but also hate being that guy. I will add none of the tone knobs seemed to really do much, but that will likely change as you add some volume to the amp.

Comment

If it isnt trebley why you run it at 9 o clock?? lol I seen some of the new guys setting there's below 5 I have the 40c and its on 5 at least with a creamback. I played them side by side with the stock 40c at the store and the CR at store levels they were quite the same I wouldnt even known the new one changed lo, prb have to play louder though and the back cover im sure has to sound a little different loud. I had mine for over 3 years now.
      tone slut
      Marshall DSL 40C
      Fender EVH Striped Series
      Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
      Fender Squier Tele Affinity
      Mogami cables

Comment

Originally posted by stratguy23 View Post
        I didn't want to be "that guy" in the store, so I didn't crank it.
        For shame. Tsk tsk.

Whenever possible, always be "that guy", because there's not a more pathetic sound
        in the world than to hear a tube amp with its balls clipped.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
          For shame. Tsk tsk.

Whenever possible, always be "that guy", because there's not a more pathetic sound
          in the world than to hear a tube amp with its balls clipped.
          I once got stares at a store for cranking a 1 watt Blackstar combo at a store.
          A ONE WATT COMBO.

...it may or may not have been plugged into a huge 4x12, but let's not get lost in details here.
          I hope they come out with a Origin Plus or something series, with higher gain and similar features. I love the Origin series on paper but it will be too ungainy for me.
          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

The new Origins are their 70s throwback / pedalboard amps. Awesome for going straight in and rockin out like you're in Motorhead.

The new DSLs are everything. Blues rock. 80s metal. Pop punk. Hardcore. It's in there. If i didn't have a wall of vintage amps, or just needed a doitall grabngo workhorse amp, this would be a strong contender.

I like the Orange Rocker 32 more than either of them. Does the classic and the modern tones better, and that stereo FX loop is a wet dream come true.

All that being said, I'm keeping the vintage amps, but yknow...
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I'm not sure the 5 watt EL84 Origin combo could be representative of the EL34 powered Origin heads through 12" Greenback speakers.

Comment

I've never been hassled for cranking an amp at a store but I always ask first.
                One guitar center guy even let me crank a 50w Marshall 112 combo during a drum competition which in hindsight was inconsiderate of both of us cuz it uh was the right volume to get over a drum competition on the main floor we were in the side room.
                The dsl40cr looks awesome though I'm really glad you can switch modes on the channels I mean even the hot rod deluxe let you at least footswitch more gain on the od channel which is all the DSL red gain 2 is, in a nutshell.
                The origin 5 sounds cool, so it's cleaner than the old class 5? And hopefully brighter and with less bass? If so it seems like it would be cool for home studios or small blues gigs . The class 5 was cool but was either kinda ratty or kinda farty and wanted to break up quickly

Comment

On the Origin series - which I am super-stoked about - they should have called the "Tilt" control, the "Blend" control, because you are, essentially, blending the high & low channels of an old school Marshall 'Plexi'-type amplifier, by jumping the channels, as we all know was the method used... just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                  X