Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: Orange 40th Anniversary OR50

It came in today.

Hot damn, it sounds epic!! It's not so different from the OR15 that they can't be dialed in similarly, but it just has gobs more heft and depth to the sound. I haven't had a chance to warm it up good and let it rip yet, but the next few Sabbath tribute band shows are going to be a lot of fun!

Here it is with its new little brother.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OR50.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	5849143
    - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Re: NAD: Orange 40th Anniversary OR50

Awsome!! Glad you are digging it!!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Nice! I’ve been eyeing one of those for one for a while.

Comment

I'm jelly! (marmalade?)

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
          I'm jelly! (marmalade?)
          nice.

I’ve had some more time with it and it just screams. There are only three gain stages, but they get tons of overdrive. The EQ is powerful enough to dial in thrash tones, but it’s going to be best suited for the doomy tones I’ll be going for on the heavier side. With the gain up past 2 o'clock, it gets nasty and fuzzy in a great way.

For the southern rock thing it’s also going to excel. The singer in that band also wants to do a Chris Cornell tribute that it will handle quite nicely as well

Basically it fits all the music I play like a glove. I’m pretty stoked and so is my daughter. She gets to use my Micro Dark for her guitar.
          - Tom

Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
            nice.

I’ve had some more time with it and it just screams. There are only three gain stages, but they get tons of overdrive. The EQ is powerful enough to dial in thrash tones, but it’s going to be best suited for the doomy tones I’ll be going for on the heavier side. With the gain up past 2 o'clock, it gets nasty and fuzzy in a great way.

For the southern rock thing it’s also going to excel. The singer in that band also wants to do a Chris Cornell tribute that it will handle quite nicely as well

Basically it fits all the music I play like a glove. I’m pretty stoked and so is my daughter. She gets to use my Micro Dark for her guitar.
            oh dear. Sounds magnificent! I love the classic orange tones I have heard from artists and demos, and loved the OR15 I had. The OR50 is perennially out of my budget and my main sauce is the fender clean tone so I've always focused on that. But truly glorious cranked up overdrive like the or15 with the depth and hit of bigger transformers and tubes... someday! Goals! Do enjoy good sir, do enjoy.

Comment

NAD: Orange 40th Anniversary OR50

Welcome to the Orange side, young master Luke Sludgewalker.

(I play an AD50. Nothing like an Orange 50 of any vintage.)

Comment

This makes 4 Oranges now. OR50, OR15. Dark Terror, and the first one I got, the Micro Dark. I love playing them all.
                - Tom

Comment

4 oranges?? You are an official Orange juicer arent you?? lol
                  I played one of the larger ones and really thought it was pretty cool.. cant recall what model..
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                    4 oranges?? You are an official Orange juicer arent you?? lol
                    I played one of the larger ones and really thought it was pretty cool.. cant recall what model..
                    Yup. I've got the sickness.
                    - Tom

Comment

Be careful, one more Orange amp and your skin will start turning orange!.
                      Al

Comment

Can confirm it is a fantastic amp, I personally am a bigger fan of the rockerverb tho.
                        "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
                        Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
                        Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
                        Jackson dx10d
                        DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
                        MXR Carbon Copy
                        MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

Fantastic amp! How are you finding the amount of gain?

Comment

Originally posted by RolanTHUNDER View Post
                            Fantastic amp! How are you finding the amount of gain?
                            To only have three stages, it gets awesomely nasty. I'd say it has more gain than I'll need, and I play in a Sabbath tribute band.
                            - Tom

Comment

I played it at a gig this past weekend. The music was classic rock and blues stuff with a couple of heavier tunes thrown in.

I set the amp with the gain on 5 and the volume just past 3 where it first opens up to stage levels in a room for 50. The HF drive was set to 6.
                              I boosted it with a Danelectro Pastrami OD.

The EQ was set T-5 M-6 B-4.5

Such a musical amp. Not a harsh sound to be found. It's very forgiving, too. No matter what I did on the guitar, it sounded great. I'm used to being careful in certain ways with other amps including my other Oranges, but this one just takes what you do and makes it sound kick ass without thinking about it.
                              Last edited by guitfiddle; 10-01-2018, 12:31 AM.
                              - Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X