DUST!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUST!

I have an Orange Micro Dark and if I leave anything in the same place in this house for more than two days, it ends up covered in dust. For the moment, when I'm not using it, I've got the amp wrapped in the bag it was packed in, whether this is fine or not, I'm not sure.

Does anybody have any suggestions / experience on ways to protect the amp?

Re: DUST!

- https://www.thomann.de/gr/orange_small_head_cover.htm -
    sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
    - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

$40 Australian, is it spun from gold? Still, it looks nice. I'll stick it in its box for now, but I'm definitely getting one of these.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
        $40 Australian, is it spun from gold? Still, it looks nice. I'll stick it in its box for now, but I'm definitely getting one of these.

Thanks.
        The ad comes up as Euros to me. Just under $30 US. That site is in Germany. I linked it as an example of what's available. Presumably available relatively locally, depending on where you are ?

There's Amp covers available for many Brands and generic amp head covers around . Maybe search for something more price appropriate for you.

I've got a cotton cover [ marshall head size ], I can't remember where I got it from but it is very handy as I live in the dustiest area in Australia. It sounds like where you live, dust can accumulate in hours. I have to regularly vac my computers and other devices for dust. We also get a fiberous "dust " that I figure is a product of the crops grown around where I live. Rural wheat farming territory.
        Last edited by GoldenVulture; 11-30-2018, 02:35 AM.
        sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
        - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Absolutely anything can be a dust cover. A big clear piece of plastic like is in every product box you buy these days will work fine, and you can still see the snazzy-looking head .
          Last edited by dave74; 11-30-2018, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Might need to have your HVAC system cleaned. We did and the difference was dramatic.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

If it only for dust any piece of cloth will do...
              But the cover shown would be good if you move it when it rains.

It reminds me I should get a moist proof protection for my Marshall 1960 4x12"
              Last edited by Francois; 11-30-2018, 07:19 AM.
              Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                Might need to have your HVAC system cleaned. We did and the difference was dramatic.
                Agreed...
                I have noticed that when I neglect to change my systems filters the dust buildup is ridiculous.
                Same with my car...the interior cabin filter really makes a big difference with the dash buildup.

Comment

I have an Orange Micro Dark and if I leave anything in the same place in this house for more than two days, it ends up covered in dust. For the moment, when I'm not using it, I've got the amp wrapped in the bag it was packed in, whether this is fine or not, I'm not sure.

Doesn't sound very healthy having that much dust indoors...

Those "small head" covers are quite big for Orange Micro amp.
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                  Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Pillow case
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

If the head is sitting on a cabinet, you can check into appliance moving blankets. In the states they can be found for about 20 dollars each. I use them to cover a couple heads stacked on top of cabinets. Keeps the dust off and the cat from tearing up the tolex. They're large though. If it's just a head and small cabinet, it's gonna be a lot of extra material.

The one on the rights is covering two heads on top of a 4x12. The one on the left is covering a small head on top of a 2x12 which is on top of a 1960 sized 4x12.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Covered cabs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	5810613
                      Last edited by Darg1911; 11-30-2018, 09:21 AM.

Comment

I use contractor trash bags

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                          Doesn't sound very healthy having that much dust indoors...
                          I tend to move about more than a few times throughout the day so I don't accumulate quite as much dust as stationary objects.

Comment

Some good suggestions, for now I've got both the amp and the cabinet in the plastic bags they came in. I just need to remember to remove the bags when I want to use them.

Thanks for the tips.

Comment

My two cents:

If you're in a damp/wet/humid climate then if you use plastic bags I'm pretty sure you need to have some of those little silica gel packets inside for the moisture not???

And somebody mentioned pillow cases. More than one if you're gonna do this or something similar. Dust goes through those things so what you end up with is an even FINER dust underneath. Stuff like that acts as a type of filter. I know. I used to use hand towels to cover a keyboard. Same thing.

Regards,

Dale.

P.S.

And if you really wanna keep things neat then get something like this: https://www.google.co.za/imgres?imgu..._B0wCnoECAUQEg.

I've had one for YEARS and it's "saved" computers, instruments, you name it. I use it for my mixers too but instead of BLOWING I use the suction (most people I know BLOW into the faders and all this does is blow whatever dust there may be into the top and bottom corners of the faders and if that gets mixed with the lubricant then "game over" i.e. it never comes out). Trust me it'll be the best few $$$ you ever spend.
                              Last edited by dpaterson; 12-01-2018, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X