Impedance Mismatch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impedance Mismatch Question

I have an Egnater Tweaker 40 1x12 that has a Celestion gh-50 (50w version of the g12h30 from what I've read) that runs at 16 ohms. I also have a Seymour Duncan 84-40 that I have a Weber Grey Wolf at 8 ohms. I was playing with the idea of running them together with the 84-40 as an extension, but there is the difference in impedance.

Is there any safe way for me to run both speakers off of the amp, or do I just have to choose between the two?
    sigpic
    Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
    Dunlop Crybaby
    MXR Custom Comp
    GFS Twin Overdrive
    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
    Blackstar HT-DISTX
    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Re: Impedance Mismatch Question

No ...

Comment

It depends on the design of the power amp and the robustness of the output transformer. Email Egnater, I’m sure you’ll get an answer.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

PFDarkside gave the best answer. I would say that running the two together in parallel will yield 5.333 ohms. So, If you place the impedance switch of the Egnater at 4 ohms or even 8 ohms (In a tube amp the slightly lower impedance is less risk), there should be no harmful effect. HOWEVER, understand that 2/3 of the power will go to the 8 ohm speaker and 1/3 to the 16 ohms. There will likely be noticeable volume difference depending on the efficiency of each. You may or may not like that, but won't hurt anything.

Comment

Egnaters aren't known for "great" transformers.
          You run the risk of smoking your amp.

Comment

My thoughts on impedance mismatching can be found in reply #14 here:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...=1#post4249229
            I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Working...
            X