banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAD x2: Peavey xxx super 40 combo, and Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (w ext cab)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD x2: Peavey xxx super 40 combo, and Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (w ext cab)

Picked up this clean Peavey xxx super 40 combo at on craigslist for almost a steal. Freaking killer little amp! Good Cleans, Great crunch channel, and insane ultra channel.

Then a few days later, I traded My h&K tubemeister 18 head (also a great little amp) For This mia hrd, and matching (sorta lol) 112 hrd cab. I seem to be definitely all set in the amp world for now, just would like to get a couple of nice drive pedals to run into the fender, because as we all know, the stock drive/more drive channels on these amps are seemingly worthless (imo)

So far I have been getting great results using the fender clean (with some modulation pedals in the fx loop), and the Peavey dirty with a aby box. Good stuff!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E9366.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	5849648
    Guitars:
    2017 Epiphone dot
    2007 Fender Strat (Andrew Robertson Pickups "Black strat set")
    2015/19 Fender fat telecaster
    (Andrew robertson pickups broadcaster/ Duncan 59n)

Peavey Classic 50 head/ Peavey Classic 410e cab

Re: NAD x2: Peavey xxx super 40 combo, and Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (w ext cab)

I haven't played the xxx but the JSX i believe is similar and I really liked that one! So I'm sure your xxx is awesome.
    And yes, the HRDx drive channel is bad to most people but there's always pedals like you said, and there's mods out there. One HRDx I played had some kinda weber 12F150 type speaker in it, and it sure made the drive channel more "refined" sounding. But your xxx surely has you covered on high gain and the HRDx normal channel cranked is great for classic rock and blues levels.

The tubemeisters are cool but I find them very hifi sounding, would not want one as my only amp! I think H&K sound very modern and great for glassy clean tones or searing gain tones that are still clear even with a lot of fx, other instruments, production/processing, shame you couldn't have kept all three but the new amps are some grab and go rock machines for sure. Nice.

Comment

I'm curious how the Triple XXX 40 clean tone compares to the HRD clean tone?
      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
        I'm curious how the Triple XXX 40 clean tone compares to the HRD clean tone?
        After ab'ing them, suprizingly close to my ears. The fender gets the nod to feeling bigger and a tad more 3d if that makes sense. They are def. in the same ballpark tho
        Guitars:
        2017 Epiphone dot

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
          I haven't played the xxx but the JSX i believe is similar and I really liked that one! So I'm sure your xxx is awesome.
          And yes, the HRDx drive channel is bad to most people but there's always pedals like you said, and there's mods out there. One HRDx I played had some kinda weber 12F150 type speaker in it, and it sure made the drive channel more "refined" sounding. But your xxx surely has you covered on high gain and the HRDx normal channel cranked is great for classic rock and blues levels.

The tubemeisters are cool but I find them very hifi sounding, would not want one as my only amp! I think H&K sound very modern and great for glassy clean tones or searing gain tones that are still clear even with a lot of fx, other instruments, production/processing, shame you couldn't have kept all three but the new amps are some grab and go rock machines for sure. Nice.
          I too felt the tm18 was on the hi fi side of things.. but i never got the chance to put it through a proper speaker cab, as all I had at the time was a crappy cheap crate 4x12, which only half the speakers worked.. Still a very usable, very good sounding. little head tho.
          I will say though, the xxx blows it to hell on all 3 channels

Trading the tm18 for the hrd plus the ext cab was really a no brainer. (even my cheap crappy drive pedals now sound decent through it, lol) Time for some better dirt boxes!
          What is really nice is using the fender for cleans (and mod fx) and the xxx for dirt, via a aby box..
          Guitars:
          2017 Epiphone dot

Comment

want the XXX, great score
            My Bands -
            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
              want the XXX, great score
              It sounds great, and apparently will take el34's..(has a el34/6l6 bias switch) since my hrdx has 6l6, I am thinking of getting a pair of el34's to try when it comes time.
              Guitars:
              2017 Epiphone dot

Comment

UPDATE: The Fender hrdx and my newly gotten Jet city jca20h (didnt like that one at all) left in favor of a minty fresh Marshall dsl100h....couldn't be happier. Now to trade the hrdx 112 ext cab for something a bit more "proper" in the 412 variety.. Didnt really need a 100w marshall, but wth..I wanted it. (My first Marshall) Pix when I get a local Pv cab to set under it.
                Guitars:
                2017 Epiphone dot

Comment

Nice, the Triple XXX outlasts the HRDX!
                  I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                    Nice, the Triple XXX outlasts the HRDX!
                    Its a beast of an amp. It actually sounds better than the marshall dsl100.. but that may have to do with the cab I am running atm. a nice 412 will tell for sure. I only gave $175 for the xxx on local cl, a steal of the century for me.. killer killer amp all 3 channels sound very good. I ab'd the hrdx to the xxx on the clean channel.. very compairable, with the nod actually toward the Peavey..
                    Guitars:
                    2017 Epiphone dot

Comment

Working...
                    X