No announcement yet.

Falling back in love with the Big Ben.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falling back in love with the Big Ben.

I leave my 2x12 Avatar w/Swamp Thang’s at my buddies house for Friday practices. Less crap to haul back and forth. Usually at home, I’ll plug my OR-15 into a 2x12 loaded with 15ohm Celestion g12-65’s. The other night I decided to go into my Carvin Bass cab with the 15” Eminence Big Ben, which I haven’t done in a while, and holy Stoner-Rock Batman! So bottom heavy, but not muddy. With the MXR-10 in the loop to bump the highs a little and to lower the bass a couple db’s, I think I found my sound. Taking that cab out to practice tomorrow night and see how it sounds with the band. One of the covers we’re thinking of doing is C.O.C.’s Albatross, I’m thinking this setup will kill it.

Anyone else go through a 15” driver on guitar?

Click image for larger version

Name:	EA9FB781-B357-48A0-8AF5-7B7B7B105BFA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	5849689

Re: Falling back in love with the Big Ben.

I've thought about it but just never got around to it. One of these decades.
    I figure it would sound pretty good.

Comment

I love my Big Ben - I have it in a self-built cab, and use it either on its own, or as an extension, paired with the Red Fang 12” in my customer Whitney amp. It’s a wall of sound!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I like running a 2x15 Crate cab with a Randall 4x12 pushed by an RG-120ES. It really warms the cockles.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a Randall cab with 2-12’s and a 15. Great big oversized ported cab too. The original eminence legend went bad so pulled it and put a Jensen c15k speaker in. I tried a Weber too but this Jensen is great and came in the 16ohm load that I needed.

The eminence legend was a custom order in 16 so the Jensen was a good value and they were 15-20% off at the end of the year from tubesandmore.

Someday I may get another Jensen c15k to run by itself or stack up with my other 2-12’s. I just need a matching cab made up for the 15.

Comment

With a little tweaking on the eq, the Big Ben sounded killer with the band. I did notice I had to turn my amp up a little. Normally I have the the volume around 10:00 with the 2x12, bumped it up to a little past 11:00. I also found the DS-1 and the Allums SD-1 to be great clean boosts with this setup. Now, if I can just figure out a fuzz that plays nice with the OR-15, I think I’ll be set.

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
            I have a Randall cab with 2-12’s and a 15. Great big oversized ported cab too. The original eminence legend went bad so pulled it and put a Jensen c15k speaker in. I tried a Weber too but this Jensen is great and came in the 16ohm load that I needed.

The eminence legend was a custom order in 16 so the Jensen was a good value and they were 15-20% off at the end of the year from tubesandmore.

Someday I may get another Jensen c15k to run by itself or stack up with my other 2-12’s. I just need a matching cab made up for the 15.
            I wasn’t aware the Legend came in a 15”. I have a 12” in my Iso-Cab, good speakers.

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            I like running a 2x15 Crate cab with a Randall 4x12 pushed by an RG-120ES. It really warms the cockles.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
            Damn, I bet it does.

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
            I love my Big Ben - I have it in a self-built cab, and use it either on its own, or as an extension, paired with the Red Fang 12” in my customer Whitney amp. It’s a wall of sound!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Nice. If my Ben was 16ohm, I’d be able to pair it with one of my 16ohm 2x12 cabs. I would LOVE to be able to pair it with my Swamp Thang 2x12, but both being 8ohm cabs, it won’t work.

Comment

Working...
            X