banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best-selling amps of 2018 on Reverb

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best-selling amps of 2018 on Reverb

    I find these year-end bestseller reports by Reverb interesting, since the site has become so dominant for used gear, at least in the US.

    No big surprises in the list:
    https://reverb.com/news/the-best-selling-amps-of-2018

    But some observations:
    1. Milkman "The Amp" pedalboard amp comes out of nowhere to be the #10 best-selling amp. Right behind it at #11 is another pedalboard amp, the Quilter MicroBlock 45, which jumps up 9 spots from last year. Quilter had the 2 pedalboard amps in the top 20 last year, the 101 Mini at #17, and the MicroBlock 45 at #20. So maybe pedalboard amps are becoming more of a thing.
    2. This year, #5 through #8 are the standard gigging combos: Vox AC15, Marshall DSL40C, Fender 65 DRRI, Fender HRD. That's mostly it for that kind of amp, right? Oddly, the Peavey Classic 30 fell all the way out of the top 20 from #11 last year. I wonder why.
    3. The only full-size (not lunchbox/mini/etc.) head in the top 20 is the EVH 5150 III 50W. Last year, the only full-size head in the top 20 was the Mesa Mark Five 25, which remains the best-selling amp over $1000.
    4. Mesa remains the most-represented brand in the top 20 $1000+ category, with 7 entries in 2018 and 2017.


    Last year's list:
    https://reverb.com/news/the-best-selling-amps-of-2017

  • #2
    Re: Best-selling amps of 2018 on Reverb

    Not at all surprised to see the Blues jr at no# 1 both years. Its just a great little package and does everything so long as you're not a metal band, or playing venues where it can't be mic'd.
    I got one in a trade a few years ago and its been my main gigging amp since, purely for its flexibility between clean and OD, and its portability. Good tube tone in a compact package.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Best-selling amps of 2018 on Reverb

      Nice to see two princetons on there, this year's #20 was my most recent acquisition.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Best-selling amps of 2018 on Reverb

        Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
        Nice to see two princetons on there, this year's #20 was my most recent acquisition.
        Nice. Just played that for the first time tonight. I only gave it about 5 minutes on the Vintage channel, though. It was actually waaaaay cleaner than I expected. I didn't want to crank it too hard in the shop, with lessons going on on the opposite side of the wall (only got up to 5). But I imagine the clean channel has some dirt in there, if you're willing to be very loud to get it. I still want to put it through its paces fully...and the Bassbreaker 18/30 (played the 45 tonight – didn't like it at all – super stiff amp – good for a pedal person, which is not me).
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Best-selling amps of 2018 on Reverb

          Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
          Nice. Just played that for the first time tonight. I only gave it about 5 minutes on the Vintage channel, though. It was actually waaaaay cleaner than I expected. I didn't want to crank it too hard in the shop, with lessons going on on the opposite side of the wall (only got up to 5). But I imagine the clean channel has some dirt in there, if you're willing to be very loud to get it. I still want to put it through its paces fully...and the Bassbreaker 18/30 (played the 45 tonight – didn't like it at all – super stiff amp – good for a pedal person, which is not me).
          you know what rest in peace me, I thought it said princeton on there twice, #20 is the 68 DELUXE when I just have the 68 princeton...

          But yes, the custom deluxe is still very clean and loud I didn't get any breakup when I tried one either but only went to around 4, my princeton custom breaks up on 5 if you hit the strings but on 6 or more it's all overdrive at full guitar volume but always cleans up, but the 68 deluxe with still no breakup seemed to me roughly as loud as the overdriven princeton. The 68 CPR is to me a very dirty amp by comparison and deluxes are loud.

          I just saw "Fender 68 custom.... ... reverb" and assumed they had to be talking about my amp ha ha

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Best-selling amps of 2018 on Reverb

            Best re-sellers in a marketplace with a very specific audience =/= top sellers =/= most popular =/= best-regarded
            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Best-selling amps of 2018 on Reverb

              My 68 Custom DR is not noisy. I have played around three others which were not noisy either before I got mine.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Best-selling amps of 2018 on Reverb

                Surprised to see the Yamahas not only in the Top 10, but actually selling more than last year.

                I thought their THR series would seem a bit stale compared to other new releases.
                I guess we underestimate how big of a reputation Yamaha has in the audio industry.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

                Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Best-selling amps of 2018 on Reverb

                  I'd be surprised too, if I didn't own a pair. But owning one is loving one. Killer little amps.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Best-selling amps of 2018 on Reverb

                    Originally posted by FOOLSGOLD View Post
                    My 68 Custom DR is not noisy. I have played around three others which were not noisy either before I got mine.
                    That is an amp I have to try someday. I like the sounds in the videos, and I like it better than the 65 Reissue.
                    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Best-selling amps of 2018 on Reverb

                      Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      That is an amp I have to try someday. I like the sounds in the videos, and I like it better than the 65 Reissue.
                      Knowing the kind of music and playing you're into -and being the guy with the second best musical tastes on the whole entire forum () -I definitely think the 1968 DRRI is definitely more to your tastes -1965 DR is got a more vintage vibe -especially with a Jensen.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Best-selling amps of 2018 on Reverb

                        Some pretty surprising results up there to me.

                        Also, some domestic US prices are surprising. Mesas around my place cost double as much at least.
                        Wackor
                        Ørdøg
                        NecroPolo
                        Diabolus in Musica
                        SIDrip Alliance
                        Book of Shadows
                        RKH

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Best-selling amps of 2018 on Reverb

                          Originally posted by stratguy23 View Post
                          Last year, the only full-size head in the top 20 was the Mesa Mark Five 25, which remains the best-selling amp over $1000.
                          But, the Mk V 25 is a lunchbox head, isn't it?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X