Fender Bassbreaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Bassbreaker

Is the fender Bassbreaker a good amp for the money? I've got $1000.00 to spend on a new tube amp and really need help deciding. Right now I have an Orange cr60, which I absolutely love. But looking for a second amp and I want a tube amp and something that had as much power as the Orange cr60 1x12. The 2x12 Bassbreaker really caught my attention. I have even though about the fender reverb. My orange has a pedal for the distortion and reverb, I don't even know if the Bassbreaker comes with that feature but I love it. Thanks for any help.

Re: Fender Bassbreaker

I have the Bassbreaker 007 head (considerably smaller than the ones your looking at) and I think it's great. The 007 has very little clean headroom but I'm sure the others probably have more.

With all that being said, I really like the overdrive in the amp. It sounds more like a Marshall than a Fender with a rich and creamy, more mid-focused sound. With a $1000 budget, you have so many options though.

You should probably specify your musical tastes and what sounds you're looking for. That way, some of the more knowledgeable guys on here can chime in. Good luck with your search.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Comment

What kind of music do you prefer to play TS? Are you playing out? Are you recording with this amp? Bassbreaker's a great choice if you want big power tube saturation and aggressive sounds -if you want power tubes to faithfully produce the saturation or clean from the pre or pedals, or want an amp with maximum versatility it maybe not the right choice in the Fender line.

I didn't prefer the 40W Bassbreaker 2x12 for a couple of reasons -including not as tonally versatile as a smaller 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, I was concerned about resale value with the uninspired workman like aesthetic, and lastly the Bassbreaker being close to 60 lbs gets in the annoying range of amp that needs wheels not a handle -but it depends on your needs, They both have the incredible Bassman Tone Stack (Both have other alternate voicings too) but wattage and speaker count aside (they have the same Celestion GV12-70 -except Black Face Deluxe and Twins have Jensens), the primary tone differentiator in the Fender line is the Bassbreaker is an EL34 amp, so its going to get crunchier and dirtier earlier, more compression, with more mids and with some high roll off and lots of bass roll off -it's going to me more aggressive going straight in -A Deluxe and many other Fenders are 6V6 or 6L6 amps which means more balanced spectrum response -so the mids don't dominate which makes for present tight clear bass, and slight sparkle on the top end -AKA a more generally sonically versatile amp -because you can always EQ away tone options, but you can't create it easily if it's not there to be found -but the Bass breaker does the Bassman and aggressive thing wonderfully, you may not want the lows

If you are looking for a home recording amp, the 45W Bassbreaker is a little on the too loud side, but a great amp for recording in a studio and Live -The 22W Deluxe Reverb is pretty much the king of the Recording Hoem and Studio -probably the most versatile Amp ever and the 1968 Silver takes pedals better than the Black -so it is even more useful in a studio It's no accident the Deluxe Reverb is called the "Desert Island" amp -but at 22W it sounds to small for you -but they do make the 6V6 40W Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 that is louder -For 2x12, if you want the more versatile less mid range amp 6V6 amp, it sounds like a Fender Hot Rod Deville 60W 2x12 is the one -unless you want super clean and ungodly loud -Get an 85W 2x12 Twin and a shoulder surgery in 25 years -or for SUPER SUPER tight and clean -get a Super Reverb 65W 4x10
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The history of Fender and Marshall amps puts the BB line into perspective. Fender amps from the 50s had tan tweed covering. In 1960's they not only got a different look but a different sound. They began the evolution toward the king of klean. But they didn't have the same raw rock-n-roll raunchiness if the Tweed amps. Marshall took up that mantle. One exception was the early 60's Brown Faced Fender Deluxe. These have long been used in studios to emulate cranked Marshall lead tones with out clipping the mics.

Marshall's first amp, the JTM45, was a copy of the 59 4x10 Tweed Bassman circuit, but it ran through a closed back 4x12 loaded with Celestion 12" speakers. It also used British parts such as KT66 tubes and eventually Drake transformers. After a few years they switched over to EL34 tubes. EL34 tubes are about twice as sensitive to the input signal as 6L6 and 6V6 types so they overdrive more easily and really reproduce picking dynamics.

Marshall also had a 18 watt combo amp that used EL84 tubes. EL84s are also very sensitive to the input signal. The 18 watt didn't have the tight punchy lows of the big Marshalls, but it could get the creamy overdriven top end. The 18 watt has also been used on a lot of studio recordings as a substitute for a big Marshall. EL84s are also the tube used in the Vox AC30 which also used Celestion 12" speakers.

The 2x12 combo version of the JTM45 was used by Eric Clapton on a landmark Bluesbreaker album. It received the nick name of Bluesbreaker.

So now we find Fender has a line of amps in black tweed covering using EL34s or EL84 tubes through Celestion speakers and calling them Bassbreakers.

There is 45 watt version using EL34s. It also has power scaling with power adjustable from 45 watts to 1 watt..

An 18/30 watt version using EL84s and reportedly voiced close to the Brown Faced Deluxe.

Then 15 watt and 7 watt versions using EL84s.

If your used to a solid state Orange the EL84 powered versions might be a little loose depending on the type of music you play.

Comment

Thanks for all the help so far. The type of music I mainly play is blue's and classic rock. Also I would be happy with a 1x12 Bassbreaker if it will keep up with my 1x12 orangecr 60. I really enjoy the reverb and distortion pedal on my orange and was wondering if the Bassbreaker comes with the same thing. If not I'll just have to buy a couple of extra pedals.

Comment

Rob Chapman raves about the Bassbreaker. He gets some really great tones out of one on the Andertons YouTube videos, as well. I watched one the other day where he had a cheapo Yamaha Pacifica guitar, a JHS Andy Timmons distortion, MXR Carbon Copy, and the Bassbreaker, and it sounded really good.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by smitty302 View Post
              Thanks for all the help so far. The type of music I mainly play is blue's and classic rock. Also I would be happy with a 1x12 Bassbreaker if it will keep up with my 1x12 orangecr 60. I really enjoy the reverb and distortion pedal on my orange and was wondering if the Bassbreaker comes with the same thing. If not I'll just have to buy a couple of extra pedals.
              Don't worry about them not being loud enough. It is reported that the BB45 with the watts turned down to 1 watt is still often too loud for home use. In my experience 15 watt tube amps can be call the cops loud.

These don't have built in distortion channels or reverb. They also do not have fx loops. With these kind of amps and playing blues or classic rock you would usually use an overdrive pedal or a boost in front of the amp, instead of a distortion pedal. The overdrive pedal overdrives the first preamp tube.

Play them before pulling the trigger.

BTW nice fox Mustang
              Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 12-25-2018, 10:06 PM.

Comment

I tried the 45 the other day. It is stiff as hell. I didn't like it, at any power setting. Would probably be a very good pedal platform, though, if that's your thing.

I want to try the 18/30. That's probably more up my alley.

They certainly are good looking amps, and sound good "on paper."

The lack of reverb is kind of a big deal to me, though. Not good, since I never play without at least some reverb dialed in, and often use quite a lot. And there is no effects loop either, so it would have to go in front of the amp if added.
                Last edited by ItsaBass; 12-26-2018, 01:13 AM.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I didn't realize there was no reverb on these things. If that is the case, I'm out.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

the perfect amp might be the 5E3 with the cascade mod...you can probably pick up a 5E3 clone for 7 or 8 hundred...if you have the skills to do the mod it costs almost nothing...if you had a tech do it maybe get it done for a couple of hundred...
                    https://robrobinette.com/5e3_Cascade.htm

just a thought...disclaimer: I am a 5E3 freak so my views might be somewhat slanted...

Comment

tweed fenders didnt have reverb so these dont either. i love a 5e3 for somethings but it sure isnt for everyone, and again no reverb.

your cr60 is a ss channel switching amp with digital reverb. what dont you like about it or what are you looking to do with your new amp that this one doesnt do? a fender hot rod deluxe is a 40w 1x12 amp with channel switching and spring reverb. not everyone loves the overdrive channel but its a great platform for pedals. there are lots of options at the $1000 mark depending on what you want

Comment

Fender Deluxe Reverb 65 reissue maybe...
                        Reverb Estimated Used Price Range
                        $605 — $700
                        Transaction History
                        Used
                        New
                        Date Condition Sold Price
                        11/23/2018 Mint $675.75
                        9/25/2018 Good $640
                        9/12/2018 Excellent $900
                        8/27/2018 Very Good $585
                        8/5/2018 Very Good $650
                        4/23/2018 Good $615
                        4/5/2018 Excellent $700
                        3/18/2018 Excellent $710
                        2/27/2018 Excellent $650
                        2/25/2018 Very Good $500

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          tweed fenders didnt have reverb so these dont either. i love a 5e3 for somethings but it sure isnt for everyone, and again no reverb.

your cr60 is a ss channel switching amp with digital reverb. what dont you like about it or what are you looking to do with your new amp that this one doesnt do? a fender hot rod deluxe is a 40w 1x12 amp with channel switching and spring reverb. not everyone loves the overdrive channel but its a great platform for pedals. there are lots of options at the $1000 mark depending on what you want
                          I really love my SS Orange, it does everything I want. But for some reason I just want a tube amp, I guess it's because I've never had one. But if I don't find something I would be happy with it right on. I just love the distortion and reverb.

Comment

im sure there are plenty of things that youd be happy with but they probably arent the same things id be happy with 90% of the time i use an old deluxe reverb

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              I didn't realize there was no reverb on these things. If that is the case, I'm out.
                              Wow, I didn't either.

I'd say there is no point in buying a Fender amp if it has no reverb -That would be like buying a Gibson guitar without a Neck Humbucker.
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X