Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R45 10k

And now I’m done modding.

Bonus points for detailed explanation of my post.

Re: R45 10k

0 for 40. I had hoped for better.

I've been modding my JCA50H since I got it because I wanted a Marshall but didn't want to pay Marshall prices. The first thing I did soon after buying it was to swap the screen grid power resistors for ones that would suit EL34s and switch to those tubes. It was an improvement, but I think you need to get really loud to really notice major differences from power tubes alone.

Then I did enough preamp mods to align it with pretty closely with the SLO100. But it still didn't have enough of the congested upper mid Marshall crunch that we all love regardless of whether or not we know it. So some cathode-bypass adjustments here and some coupling cap adjustments there got close, but once I swapped out the cathode bias resistor on the cold clipping stage, it was there. That was R45 on the PCB, and 10k is the right value.

Now to go rock. :-)

Comment

Clips or it’s just a story! [emoji8]

Comment

i assumed r45 was a resister and 10k the value but had no idea what you were working on

Comment

What's a JCA50H?
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
            What's a JCA50H?
            I believe it’s a Jet City amp

Comment

A Soldano-designed, two channel, 50 watt amp.

Mine isn't a whole lot like that anymore, though. Changed out the faceplate, power section, most of the preamp, etc. But I have a total of under $400 in it even after the mods and buying it new, so there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                What's a JCA50H?
                It's essentially a license-built version of the Soldano Hot Rod 50+. In terms of budget Soldanos, the SP-77 preamp gets closer to the Hot Rod vibe, but the Jet Citys are in the same zip code at least. The biggest differences I've noticed are that the taper of the Jet City's gain pot is significantly faster, and they tend to be a bit brighter and less clear. The shortcomings can be largely mitigated by swapping out the stock tubes, and overall they sound great for a few hundred bucks. I don't play my JCA22H a lot, but it's the amp I plug into when I want 'that sound'.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                X