banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost no volume on Peavey 6505+ Combo, Did I blow my speaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost no volume on Peavey 6505+ Combo, Did I blow my speaker?

In short, was playing a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 through the speaker of a 6505+ 112 combo with a Celestion Vintage 30. There was a sudden crackle and loss of sound. Thought it was the Marshall at first but then I unplugged the speaker from it and plugged it back into the Peavey 6505+. No sound. THats 2 heads I've tried through the 1x12 cabinet and no sound.
    Did I blow my speaker or burn up the coil or whatever? I dont smell the smell that comes with a burnt coil (its kind of like a chemical smell).
    If I did blow my speaker, could any of these things have been the cause?:
    1. I play LOUD. Very loud. And with a lot of gain and a lot of top end. The volume is always on 12 or 1 O clock. The gain is usually at about 10 O Clock but I run an EP booster and a Tube Screamer in the front of the amp. I like hi gain but sparkly note definition. (I keep Mids on 2 O Clock, Treble On 11 O Clock, Bass on 7 O clock, and Presence at 12 O Clock). Im usually playing on a Gibson Les Paul Traditional or a Gibson Les Paul Classic with a hi gain pickup in the bridge position (I am almost always in the bridge position).
    2. That being said, play in a very confined space; A 6ftx8ft room in a rehearsal building. So I deal with a lot of feedback. A LOT. I've resorted to placing drum shields and in front of my amplifier to cut back on the feedback. They help some. But I still get a lot.
    So did blow my speaker (burn the coil) and if so, was it the volume, the feedback, or a combination thereof that caused it to blow?
    And how the hell can I keep this from happening in the future without having to move to a bigger room or cut back on volume, presence, mids... or anything for that matter? Would a speaker with a higher power rating be the solution? I have been looking at Redbacks.
    Last edited by cewilli; 01-05-2019, 03:17 AM. Reason: didnt like the way it was worded

Re: Almost no volume on Peavey 6505+ Combo, Did I blow my speaker?

test the speaker with a 9 volt battery

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xIMHGkxw72o

Comment

Re: Almost no volume on Peavey 6505+ Combo, Did I blow my speaker?

V30 is 60 watt speaker. With DSL50 running with that rig, and the feedback counted in... Sounds very likely you reached the limits of the speaker.

If you want to keep 1x12, Eminence has good higher wattage options for cheaper than real V30.

Or if you specifically want V30, I'd suggest to move to 2x12 setup.
      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
      X