Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

I run a Marshall 1960A 4x12 cabinet, currently loaded with 4 Celestion G12T-75s.

The problem I have with the G12T-75s is that the low end can get too boomy. [EDIT: boomy not just on the distortion channel of the amp, but even on the clean channel]. So I'd like something that is tighter in the lows. I play metal, so the replacement speaker also has to respond well to me scooping the mids via the amp's EQ controls.

I had previously A/Bed at the same time, one 4x12 with G12T-75s against another 4x12 with Vintage 30s, and i did not like the Vintage 30's famous mid spike, so the Vintage 30 is not a candidate in my mind.

Thanks
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 01-06-2019, 09:11 AM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

Not sure if this helps but I run a 2x12 with one G12T-75 and one Splawn Small Black (Eminence made Greenback clone @55W). I play through a Splawn Quickrod and this setup handles anything I can throw at it.

Comment

Classic Lead 80s - https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/spea...assic-lead-80/

Comment

Creamback H-75's are great. I like them better than Vintage 30's in my Marshall 1960. They're not as mid-spikey, and they have a nice sizzle up top and a really tight bottom-end.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
          Would you say that the Lead 80's sound is accurately represented in this comparisom video i found?

I suspect it a bit myself, because the G12T-75 sound in this video has too much upper mids than my own experience.

Also, in this video, the 70 80 speaker sounds the tightest, which is very appealing, but again, not sure how true this video is to each speaker's actual sound
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            Creamback H-75's are great. I like them better than Vintage 30's in my Marshall 1960. They're not as mid-spikey, and they have a nice sizzle up top and a really tight bottom-end.
            I havent been able to find a video comparing the H-75 to to the T-75. Do you know of one?

Is the H-75 accurately represented in this video that compares it to the Vintage 30? The H-75 sounds better than the V30 to me in this video.

Comment

I think the cl80 is more what you're wanting, or the mesa version c90.
              K100 is good also. It has some of that t75 flavor but also more mids and smoother highs. The lows are stronger and tighter at the same time.

Comment

I had a 1936 2x12 with T-75s and I didn't get on with them either. Bear in mind that I use a JTM45 reissue, so not really ideal companions. I put in a G12 H-30 70th Anniversary and a G12 M-25 Greenback in it, and it sounds fab.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
                  I havent been able to find a video comparing the H-75 to to the T-75. Do you know of one?

Is the H-75 accurately represented in this video that compares it to the Vintage 30? The H-75 sounds better than the V30 to me in this video.
                  Yeah, kinda. The H-75 has less upper mid shrillnes, but a bit more high-end rasp. It also has creamy Greenback-like lower mids, and is tighter in the lows.

Did you check this vid out?

Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-06-2019, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I don't like the Seventy 80, even in the video the mids sound kind of "plasticy" (only term I could think of), the Classic Lead 80 is similar, just much more refined and sounds more organic, at least to me. You said you didn't want the mid scoop of the G12T-75 but didn't like the hyped midrange of the V30, so, the Classic 80 was the first thing that came to mind, it is a pretty neutral sounding speaker in a good way.

That said, the Creambacks are nice too, and even the V30 for the right tones, it definitely does the Slash tones the best.

Comment

I haven’t compared nearly as many Celestions as others here, but I really like both versions of the Creamback. The H75 might work for you.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

You said you didn't want the mid scoop of the G12T-75
                        Sorry, but i didn't say that. I didn't make any comment about the T-75's mids when i talked about the V30 mid spike earlier. i actually like the scooped mids on the T-75, which i know is opposite to popular opinion about the T-75 ....

But more importantly, the problem i have with the T-75 is that the low end is boomy and not tight. So that is what i am trying to solve with a replacement speaker.

Good to hear that the Lead 80 is pretty neutral; that could do the trick with the T-75's low end problem Thanks for suggesting it; i will check in into it more.

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
                          Sorry, but i didn't say that. I didn't make any comment about the T-75's mids when i talked about the V30 mid spike earlier. i actually like the scooped mids on the T-75, which i know is opposite to popular opinion about the T-75 ....

But more importantly, the problem i have with the T-75 is that the low end is boomy and not tight. So that is what i am trying to solve with a replacement speaker.

Good to hear that the Lead 80 is pretty neutral; that could do the trick with the T-75's low end problem Thanks for suggesting it; i will check in into it more.
                          Oh sorry, doh, I must have imagined it, because that is what most people say about the T-75. I actually do like them in 4-12 cabs, but for what you are looking for the Classic 80 is probably more what you are looking for, but that is my opinion and you have plenty of others here. Since you play metal, you probably do want a higher wattage speaker since most of your gain is coming from pedals or the preamp, so you don't want any speaker break up.

Comment

This is a good video because the speaker's picture in the corner makes it easy to scroll around to compare models back to back.
                            Also he does various miking/mixing.

The K100 and classic lead are back to back anyways. cl80

I really would like a couple of the older version 80s.
                            Last edited by dave74; 01-06-2019, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Oh sorry, doh, I must have imagined it, because that is what most people say about the T-75.
                              Haha, no problem. I did suspect it was due to the kind of thing you said: subconscious word association btw "mids" and "T-75"... haha

I also ageee with you about wanting to target a speaker where the wattage is high because my drive is coming from the pedals and the amp. I would say the Lead 80 still is a good candidate.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X