Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

Originally posted by audiocheck View Post
    If no one has mentioned it yet, how is your 412 wired? Series/ Parallel or Parallel? Big different in feel between the 2. Speakers wired in Parallel, for a tube amp, will increase the Damping factor in the head. This will allow more accurate control of the low end. I suggest, if you have 16 ohm G12-75T's that you rewire the cab to a 4 ohm load. My 412 of G12-75T's are wired that way and I have no issue with tight low-end.

If that is not tight enough, then step up to a 50oz Celestion speaker. the G12H Creamback or Greenback, maybe the ticket for you. Even the Classic Lead, should be less harsh than the V30.
    Hi, thanks for the input

I run a solid state head, not tube.

My Marshall 4x12 is a 1960A model that has the ohm choice options switch on the back. I had originally been running my 4 T75 16 ohm speakers at 4 ohms, as you suggested. The cab also gives the option to run the left side pair at 8 ohms and/or the right side pair at 8 ohms.

See my latest post from earlier this morning. I have gotten a lot of improvement already by trying a couple different speakers.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
      Hi, thanks for the input

I run a solid state head, not tube.

My Marshall 4x12 is a 1960A model that has the ohm choice options switch on the back. I had originally been running my 4 T75 16 ohm speakers at 4 ohms, as you suggested. The cab also gives the option to run the left side pair at 8 ohms and/or the right side pair at 8 ohms.

See my latest post from earlier this morning. I have gotten a lot of improvement already by trying a couple different speakers.
      okay cool. I'm glad you are on your way. Solid State will probably benefit from Parallel wiring as well, but you already had that so I'll be quiet.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the gt12-75 but admittedly it has a TON of bass(love it for cleans and bluesy... but sux for metul!) but for me the part I'm not a big fan of is the increased high range response (again great for cleans).

I have a full stack with mixed gt12-75t, v30, and greenbacks. I've spent a lot of time standing in front of my stack and positioning my head in front of each speaker and comparing. now I am deaf... so my opinion probably is wrong.

I also have two 2x12s loaded with one gt1275 and a greenback each. After setting up those two cabs I noticed a huge difference in the (less)bass response between the 4x12 vs the two 2x12s. At first I assumed it was the dif between a solid wood 2x12 cab and a marshal 4x12. Then one day I was playing around with the 2x12s and their placement... and all of the sudden the bass was back and overpowering. Those two cabs are normally on cab stands sitting a hair off the floor. When I put them back on the floor the difference was so obvious it was hard to believe. I subsequently put my wheels back on my marshal 4x12 and sure enough... bass was much more tame.

long story long... it's not going to change a gt12 into something else... but it might be an aspect you can consider with those or any other speaker(s) you go with.

ps, I really like the mixed 4x12 cabs. standing 5' back it sounds great and with a close mic I can get all sorts of variation by moving in front of dif speakers.

hope some part of my thoughts was helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by mistermikev View Post
          I'm a big fan of the gt12-75 but admittedly it has a TON of bass(love it for cleans and bluesy... but sux for metul!) but for me the part I'm not a big fan of is the increased high range response (again great for cleans).

I have a full stack with mixed gt12-75t, v30, and greenbacks. I've spent a lot of time standing in front of my stack and positioning my head in front of each speaker and comparing. now I am deaf... so my opinion probably is wrong.

I also have two 2x12s loaded with one gt1275 and a greenback each. After setting up those two cabs I noticed a huge difference in the (less)bass response between the 4x12 vs the two 2x12s. At first I assumed it was the dif between a solid wood 2x12 cab and a marshal 4x12. Then one day I was playing around with the 2x12s and their placement... and all of the sudden the bass was back and overpowering. Those two cabs are normally on cab stands sitting a hair off the floor. When I put them back on the floor the difference was so obvious it was hard to believe. I subsequently put my wheels back on my marshal 4x12 and sure enough... bass was much more tame.

long story long... it's not going to change a gt12 into something else... but it might be an aspect you can consider with those or any other speaker(s) you go with.

ps, I really like the mixed 4x12 cabs. standing 5' back it sounds great and with a close mic I can get all sorts of variation by moving in front of dif speakers.

Thanks, the idea to check the difference in bass response btw on floor or off floor is a good one. In my case, my cab is already off floor: its on wheels.

I too see value in having different models of speaker available to choose from for mic'ing purposes.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by mistermikev View Post

Your view of the G12T-75 is so different from mine. I hear that speaker as a dated 80's Metal sound. I don't really love it clean. It's cool for some scooped high gain stuff. The cleanest and most balanced Celestion I have is the dreaded G12m-70. I've been toying with mixing that with something else, but not with a G12T. I tried that and it was NG. So what does the Greenback bring to the table mixed with the G12T? Does it fill in the mid? Add extra grind? Is it a M or H greenback you are using?

Comment

Just wanted to provide another update, and hopefully it is of use to anyone else going down the same " what replacement speaker" path.

I already mentioned that i have been liking the tones i am getting from running a Celestion V Type paired with a Eminence budget version of their Legend speaker (i.e. the JCA-12-1716 speaker that comes as the stock speaker in a Jet City JSA 12S 1x12 cab). That combo is good for the Les Paul types of guitars i predominantly play. But it was a little shrill when i plugged in my Strat for occasional usage. I also found the sound to be too shrill when alternately running the Strat into a pair of Celestion G12-65s. Well, last night, i had the idea to see if a combo of one G12-65 and one Eminence JCA-12-1716 might resolve the shrillness issue when using the strat. My ears told me, yes. This evening when i came home from work i tried it again just to be sure. Yep, that pair is a winner. So while it may be unglamourous, that Eminence budget speaker is doing a great job in now 2 applications as a flat/neutral speaker to mix with another "color" speaker. My .02.

Comment

I’m very much a fan of running complimentary speakers together too.
                Sometimes each speaker contributes what the other can’t and vise versa.

Comment

Working...
                X