Quest for NAD/PRS MT15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quest for NAD/PRS MT15

I've been using amp sims through my desktop computers at home for the past 14 years or so, but I need to get away from the screens. Also, turns out my next-door neighbor is basically deaf, so I can finally play without headphones. Yay! Got a raise this week, so figured its time to invest in a lunchbox.

I've been really digging the sounds I get out of BIAS FX Orange amp models, so I'm doing an excursion to the local music shop today to try some stuff out. So far on my list of new gear options (that I can also try out locally):
    • Various small Orange heads
    • Mesa Boogie Mini Rec (pricey, but can be found used)
    • Fender Bassbreakers (if this works, I'll probably try to grab a Wampler Catapulp to run in front of it)
    • Mooer Preamp Live + a pair of active near field monitors like Yamaha HS7 or similar

Anyone wanna chime in on things I should look for?

I'm very curious about the PRS MT15, since it has a separate clean channel and EQ, but there's nowhere around here to try one out.
    I'm a bit hesitant about the Orange amps, as they have little to no tweakbility for clean sounds.
    I might want to get a cab, but worst case scenario, I'll take one half of my stack I keep in my rehersal space.

Budget is about €580, can be pushed up to €770 if something really good comes along.
    Last edited by Coma; 02-01-2019, 04:27 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Re: Quest for NAD/PRS MT15

I have the Rectoverb 25 - essentially it’s the Mini-Rec in combo form with a Reverb tank - it’s a great platform, so while expensive, a keeper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Just got back from the shop. Spent three hours noodling around, brought a guitar tuned way down to C. Tried four amps with matching 1 x 12 cabs.
      • Mesa Mini Rec was very nice. Very versatile, but also sounded kinda boxy on both dirt channels. Modern voicing wasn't for me, very fizzy and nasty. Vintage voiced was nice. This thing does require somewhat louder volumes than I expected, just to let the signal through at all.
        Clean channels were both good. Nice crunch when in pushed voicing and with gain cranked.
      • Fender Bassbreaker sounded great on low voicing played clean. Medium and high was just awful. Sounded like it was covered by a blanket, even with the bright switch on.
      • Orange Dual Terror sounded great dirty on both channels. Thick and hairy, just like an Orange should. Even sounded pretty good clean with gain rolled back and volume up. But no FX loop is a bit of a let-down.
      • PRS MT15 (yeah, turns out they had one) sounded great on the clean channel. Very warm, slightly bass-heavy but that can be EQd out. No idea what the point of the boost mode is for, as it has no gain control on the clean channel. So it basically just makes the amp unbearably much louder, but not thicker or more gainy. Weird.
        Dirt channel was pretty cool but man it has a lot of gain on tap. Even with the gain knob rolled far back it sounds very saturated. Also quite muffled - could roll up the presence and treble and that made it brighter, but the muffled sound remained. Tried to hook it up to the Orange Cab (PPC112) and it was still the same.
      Last edited by Coma; 02-01-2019, 08:40 AM.
      1973 Aria 551
      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Well, the Dark Terror does have an FX loop. Same as the Jim Root and the Brent Hinds Terrors if you like Orange amps.

And yeah, I've read the MT15 is voiced kinda dark. I doubt the PPC112 would help either. I have one, and that cab is pretty dark-sounding.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          Well, the Dark Terror does have an FX loop. Same as the Jim Root and the Brent Hinds Terrors if you like Orange amps.

And yeah, I've read the MT15 is voiced kinda dark. I doubt the PPC112 would help either. I have one, and that cab is pretty dark-sounding.
          Is it very different from the 4x12? Because I had one of those for my EVH and had to swap it out because it was giving me a headfull of ice pick.
          1973 Aria 551
          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

The PPC112? Honestly, I don't know. The only experience I have with a PPC412 is having tried my friend's, but he never had the stock speakers in it.

But compared to my Marshall 4x12, it is much more boxy. Both darker and less bassy.

It's a good 1x12... but it does sound a lot like a 1x12.
            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-01-2019, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Yeah, on my Rectoverb 25 (and so I presume the Mini-Rec), the Master has a definite jump at about a 3rd of the pot’s turn from minimum - below that, it sounds like it’s constrained, above and it opens up. There’s a ton of gain in the dirt channels, so dialing the gain back and Master up is the trick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

The boxy sound you speak of may be due to the 1x12 cab. Perhaps a 2x12 cab would be more pleasing to your ears. In regards to the fizzy Mini Recto comment I have heard alot of people turn the presence off to tame the fizz (just an idea).

Also, I have to say that I've never been able to understand other peoples liking of Orange Amps as I've played a few and wasn't impressed. Nothing special about their sound imo. To each their own....��
                Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 02-03-2019, 02:35 PM.
                Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
                Roland Cube 60
                Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
                BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
                LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
                Mogami Cables
                Mooer Candy Toppers
                Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
                Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGuy503 View Post
                  The boxy sound you speak of may be due to the 1x12 cab. Perhaps a 2x12 cab would be more pleasing to your ears. Also in regards to the fizzy Mini Recto comment I have heard alot of people turn the presence off to tame the fizz (just an idea).

Also I have to say that I've never been able to understand other peoples liking of Orange Amps as I've played a few and wasn't impressed. Nothing special about their sound imo.
                  I did try to roll back the presence, but was still too fizzy for my liking. The store in question don't carry 4x12s as they're cramped for space, but in all likelihood I'd be using one of mine since I don't really need a full stack in rehearsal anyway. Eventually I'd try to find a 2 x 12 or nicer sounding 1 x 12 though.

As for Oranges - I didn't really see the appeal of them at first either, but to me they have a very pelasent warm and hairy sound that's much mroe interesting and not as nasal as a Marshall.
                  My big complaint about Orange amps - at least the ones below 30w - is that they're very constrained in their design.

Want something small? No probs, but no EQ for you. Here's a tone control, that's all you get.
                  Want an EQ? Sure thing, here's a single channel amp with no FX loop.
                  Want an FX loop? Right away sir. Oh, we took the liberty of removing the clean channel.
                  Oh, you wanted two channels? Sure thing. We removed the tone control though, but enjoy the volume knob.

Drives me crazy, because I really like the Orange sound. But half of my guitars are tuned way down. I need a full EQ.

On another note entirely, your avatar is the same I have for my youtube channel. It really messes with my mind whenever I see posts that were clearly not written by me but has "my" picture on them
                  1973 Aria 551
                  1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Other Mesas to look at would be the now discontinued TA-30, and the Mark V:25 or V:35. These will all have better clean tones than the Mini Rectos. The TA-30 has more of a VOX flavor, while the two Mark Series amps have superb cleans and the singing lead tones Boogies are known for, and...variable power levels and incredible versatility. My V:25 and V:35 both have the feel of a big bottle amp, even though they use EL84s.

Three of my friends use TA-30s, one Alt-Rock, one Classic Rock and one does pure Country, so again...a lot of versatility.

So if any of these pop up near you, be sure to take a test drive. You will pay more for them than most of the other amps mentioned, but you will be getting a solidly built amp and professional features. They're amps that can grow with you.

Good luck.

Bill
                    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                      Other Mesas to look at would be the now discontinued TA-30, and the Mark V:25 or V:35. These will all have better clean tones than the Mini Rectos. The TA-30 has more of a VOX flavor, while the two Mark Series amps have superb cleans and the singing lead tones Boogies are known for, and...variable power levels and incredible versatility. My V:25 and V:35 both have the feel of a big bottle amp, even though they use EL84s.

Three of my friends use TA-30s, one Alt-Rock, one Classic Rock and one does pure Country, so again...a lot of versatility.

So if any of these pop up near you, be sure to take a test drive. You will pay more for them than most of the other amps mentioned, but you will be getting a solidly built amp and professional features. They're amps that can grow with you.

Good luck.

Bill
                      Thanks for the tip. There are a few MkV:25 around here but yeah, they're out of my price league, even used.

The clean channel on the mini Rec was much to my liking, though. No complaints there. I did try to spring for a used one later that same day, as one was up for about 600 euros, but some other guy nabbed it just hours before.
                      1973 Aria 551
                      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

To answer your Mesa amp question in another thread, I would say that the Mark V amps are the cream of the crop. The V:25 the same 2xEL84 power as the little Express and Express+ amps, but it does have more features, like the built-in Cab-Clone. Voicings are slightly different. And of course the Mark V:25 is more expensive. But I would say that the tones of the Express are in the Mark V amps.

The Express+ succeeded the Express, and offered a few more features, the best of which might be the inclusion of the 5-band Graphic EQ. The little Express amps also have a 50-watt big brother. I took a hard look at the Express+ amps, but a used V:25 mini-stack and a V:35 combo appeared at phenomenal prices, and I quickly grabbed them.

I am constantly amazed by the tones from these two amps. I used them each on a couple of gigs before I got cancer last year and both really put a smile on my face. IMO, no other lunchbox amp on the market even comes close to the V:25...it's just brilliantly executed.

Don't be afraid to look at other older Mesas, like the Mark III and IV, the Dual Calibers, the F-Series, TA-30, Maverick and the Stiletto Ace.

Check out the Mesa Boogie website. They have a page for their discontinued amps, and Owner's Manuals are still available. If you see an amp you are interested, download and familiarize yourself with its manual...you'll be ahead of the game.

Good luck.

Bill
                        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Cheers, mate.

Bummer about the cancer, tho
                          1973 Aria 551
                          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Have you looked Egnater amps? They hit the price range easily, and have loads of features.

I'm loving the Orange tone as well. Upgraded to Egnater Rebel 20 from Tiny Terror. It's smoother, less hairy overall on it's own gain (though has plenty of it), but gets there with boost in front. It really does well that low mid roar Oranges are known for. (Actually better than TT).
                            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                              Have you looked Egnater amps? They hit the price range easily, and have loads of features.

I'm loving the Orange tone as well. Upgraded to Egnater Rebel 20 from Tiny Terror. It's smoother, less hairy overall on it's own gain (though has plenty of it), but gets there with boost in front. It really does well that low mid roar Oranges are known for. (Actually better than TT).

They're on my radar, but the only store here that used to carry them don't keep them in standard stock anymore. Same situation with the Jet City amps.
                              Aren't most of the smaller ones single-channel anyway? Or shared EQ or something like that?
                              Last edited by Coma; 02-08-2019, 07:50 AM.
                              1973 Aria 551
                              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Working...
                              X