Power Comsumption with Amp on Standby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Comsumption with Amp on Standby

Anybody else like leaving their amp on standby and take it off Standby to play throughout the day? I was wondering if having it on Standby is using as much AC as when it's off, i.e. when I play it's draw is 400 watts, is it less when it's in Standby? I don't want to run up my electric bill, so I keep the amp off if I'm not playing, usually. EVH 5150 iii, 50 watt, 400 w draw... Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by bldrst; 02-06-2019, 09:04 AM.
    Amps: EVH 5150 iii & old Laney cabs with Celestion Heritage Greenbacks. Guitars: 2014 Jackson USA RR1, 2010 Gibson Les Paul Custom, 1986 Charvel San Dimas, Warmoth Lefty Strats w/ Callaham bridge. Pedals: Strymon, Dunlop/MXR, ISP...

Re: Power Comsumption with Amp on Standby

much less but you are probably cooking the heaters more than you need to

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      much less but you are probably cooking the heaters more than you need to
      Good point, the tubes do have a glimmer while on Standby. I've noticed much less heat from the tubes generally, which is what spurned my question.
      Amps: EVH 5150 iii & old Laney cabs with Celestion Heritage Greenbacks. Guitars: 2014 Jackson USA RR1, 2010 Gibson Les Paul Custom, 1986 Charvel San Dimas, Warmoth Lefty Strats w/ Callaham bridge. Pedals: Strymon, Dunlop/MXR, ISP...

Comment

My old pro reverb draws about 50 watts while in standby as I recall. As for cooking the heaters..For years it was my only amp and I left that sucker in standby for like months on end. Basically it was on unless it was being moved. Never had a problem with going through tubes too fast. The 6L6's lasted 5 years easily. When I re-tubed it about two years ago some of the 12ax7's were well over ten years old.

Comment

when the amp is on standby, the heaters are running. when the amp is actually on, the high voltage is applied to the tubes which generates much more heat.

Comment

It only takes about 10 seconds for the proper voltage to rise. I would just turn the amp off between uses.

Comment

I wouldn't use standby for anything other than quick warmup at the start, bathroom/smoke breaks when playing or between recording tracks in a recording session, I generally unplug my all of my Vintage amps from the wall (you know, the ones with big old tired filter caps) at home when not in use if not on conditioned and on protected tech power. Lots of thunderstorms at my house and the power grid gets lots of spikes and slight voltage dips in peak usage hours -especially in summer.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I forgot and left my Belair cooking in the other room on standby for almost a month

My light bill was noticeably higher
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

All great points. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                    I wouldn't use standby for anything other than quick warmup at the start, bathroom/smoke breaks when playing or between recording tracks in a recording session, I generally unplug my all of my Vintage amps from the wall (you know, the ones with big old tired filter caps) at home when not in use if not on conditioned and on protected tech power. Lots of thunderstorms at my house and the power grid gets lots of spikes and slight voltage dips in peak usage hours -especially in summer.
                    Yep. I figured if the current draw is down to a really low draw maybe. That makes sense. Thanks.

Comment

My amp tech told me that standby is for warming up the amp only, and that going back and forth between 'on' and 'standby' causes a lot of stress on the power tubes. Warm it up, leave it on for as long as you're using it, shut it off all at once when you're done.

For breaks up to like 15 mins, I either turn the guitar's volume down or unplug from the amp's input. Any longer than that, just turn it off.
                      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Doesn't stand by just turn off the power amp section? Still the same amount of current going to the pre-amp no?

Comment

No. Standby turns off B+ voltage (DC) to all the tubes. The AC voltage to the tube heaters remains on for all the tubes.
                          Last edited by justFred; 02-07-2019, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
                            No. Standby turns off B+ voltage (DC) to all the tubes. The AC voltage to the tube heaters remains on for all the tubes.
                            Wow, I did not know that. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                              My amp tech told me that standby is for warming up the amp only, and that going back and forth between 'on' and 'standby' causes a lot of stress on the power tubes. Warm it up, leave it on for as long as you're using it, shut it off all at once when you're done.

For breaks up to like 15 mins, I either turn the guitar's volume down or unplug from the amp's input. Any longer than that, just turn it off.
                              That shut down has something to do with keeping the filter caps healthy from what I remember.

Comment

Working...
                              X