Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Creamback 65 vs scumback m75?

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    riiight lol so are a lot of things but i have not found anything that actually sounds like a old 25w g12m with more power handling.
    As I am sure you know, part of the "sound" is the amp overpowering the speaker.

I have not played through any Pulsonic cone GBs, but those who have say the Scumbacks are as close as you can get.

Off topic, but I am curious to hear what Dave Friedman comes up with. I thought they might be shown at NAMM, but nope.
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgr-V40gsYQ

If it really is true what people say about the scumback, that it sounds really close to an old pulsonic greenback, then this must be a good comparison. When I listened the first time, i liked the creamback, but after listening more and more, I like the old greenback better. Much more open high end. In comparison, the creamback almost sounds muffled to me.

Tell me what you think.

Comment

“There is also an G12H-75 Creamback with the heavy magnet, not just the G12M-65 with the medium magnet.”

I tried bringing this up earlier but I think it may have gotten lost in the fray?

As I consider myself to be a “Creamback Connoisseur” my personal experience has always been that the larger H magnet & extra 10W’s make for much better low end. IE- thicker, sweeter, & certainly tighter when playing at higher volumes!!!

As I mentioned above I actually have an old ALNICO 90W Creamback as well. That speaker sounds great in any kinda vintage Fender’s, VOX’s, & it makes my 20W 6V6 Marshall Plexi clone sing like there’s no tomorrow! However if I had to pick a favorite out of the it’d definitely be the GH12-75W Creamback!!! Great cleans, great dirt, great for all out mayhem distortion, & a low end that can almost kick you right in the gut when you get it cranked.....

Also I’ve never really agreed with the “higher wattage Greenback” description either FWIW....
        I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
          “There is also an G12H-75 Creamback with the heavy magnet, not just the G12M-65 with the medium magnet.”

I tried bringing this up earlier but I think it may have gotten lost in the fray?

As I consider myself to be a “Creamback Connoisseur” my personal experience has always been that the larger H magnet & extra 10W’s make for much better low end. IE- thicker, sweeter, & certainly tighter when playing at higher volumes!!!

As I mentioned above I actually have an old ALNICO 90W Creamback as well. That speaker sounds great in any kinda vintage Fender’s, VOX’s, & it makes my 20W 6V6 Marshall Plexi clone sing like there’s no tomorrow! However if I had to pick a favorite out of the it’d definitely be the GH12-75W Creamback!!! Great cleans, great dirt, great for all out mayhem distortion, & a low end that can almost kick you right in the gut when you get it cranked.....

Also I’ve never really agreed with the “higher wattage Greenback” description either FWIW....
          Sorry for not replying earlier. I read a few times on some other forums that the creamback with H magnet is tighter, has less mids, and more high end than the M. That's why I thought I would like the M better, but now you say this, it makes me wonder... It's so annoying I can't just try em out!!

I will look into the H more, thanks!
          Last edited by I NEED HELP123; 02-14-2019, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by I NEED HELP123 View Post
            I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgr-V40gsYQ

If it really is true what people say about the scumback, that it sounds really close to an old pulsonic greenback, then this must be a good comparison. When I listened the first time, i liked the creamback, but after listening more and more, I like the old greenback better. Much more open high end. In comparison, the creamback almost sounds muffled to me.

Tell me what you think.
            That's the 8 ohm Creamback being compared to a 16 ohm Greenback, though. 16 ohm speakers are inherently brighter even when they're the same kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              As long as they close mic'd the Creamback, the bleed from the other speaker not being a Creamback should be negligible.

You are oversimplifying.

The G12M Heritage and the Classic series G12M Greenback do not have the same cone. The cone on the Heritage is different, and, supposedly, based on the original Pulsonic cone, while the G12M Classic has the more recent Kurt Mueller cone. If you look at them side by side, you can tell the doping and the dust cap are pretty different between both too. The wattage handling on the G12EVH/Heritage is more of a marketing thing to make them appear more vintage-correct, as in fact, they can handle the same 25W that the Classics can (hence why the EVH 4x12 which is loaded with EVH's can still handle the full-on 100W 5150).

There are also the 75Hz and 55Hz H versions in the Heritage range. The G12H(75) has the same cone as the EVH/G12M Heritage. The G12H(55) has the bass cone based on the older original Pulsonics.

There is the classic G12H-30 Anniversary which has the same Kurt Mueller 1777 lead cone as the Classic G12M Greenback, just with the H magnet. They don't sell them with the green magnet cover, but they're just a Classic G12M Greenback with a heavy magnet.

The Creambacks have the same cone as the Heritage 75Hz, but the voice coil is different (it obviously has to be to handle more watts). There is also an G12H-75 Creamback with the heavy magnet, not just the G12M-65 with the medium magnet.

The G12-35XC also belongs in the Heritage and Creamback family as it has the same cone. It comes, however, with a magnet that falls between the Heavy and Medium magnets' weights.

The Redback is entirely a different thing and not all that related. It has a 2" voice coil and a different cone altogether.

I have to continue this with couple of notions: G12H has 30W power handling. Not 25W.

And that despite having same cones and structure in some cases H and M magnet Celestion sound really different. As much as V30 vs. G12M.
              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

h magnet and m magnets absolutely sound different. 25w voice coil vs 30w voice coil also sound different

Comment

Does anyone have any other comments regarding the tone difference between the two speakers?

Comment

Thought this video was quite helpfull: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onc4q0TZD5A&t=340s

I think Nostalgic Distortion is right, and the H magnet sounds better IMO.

So now it's Scumback H75 vs creamback H.....

Comment

Working...
                    X