banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of downsizing from my 4x12 cab, recommendations/advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking of downsizing from my 4x12 cab, recommendations/advice?

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
    Question (for everybody): should i consider a 1x15 cab instead for a fuller sound?
    A 1x15 can be fine depending on the tone you are going for. The G15V-100 Fullback is a classic sounding Celestion with fuller mids and more pronounced bass. It is not muddy in any way, it is very crisp and sharp sounding. It is great for your application but 15s are not everyone's cup of tea.

Comment

A big 212 with a speaker mix is very hard to beat. Avatar sig-cabs are $500 and you pick speakers/colors/grills/ohms/jack.
      I suggest a celestion v30/k100 for an aggressive crunch, and anything but those for more subtle tones.

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
        Nothing quite sounds like a 412. A 2x12 cab will never faithfully reproduce the level of sound projection and tone from a 412. But by design, a 412 is just impractical. Especially for gigging musicians.

I've owned a few 2x12 cabs over the years, and was never satisfied with them. Coming from 4x12's, they always sounded small, flat and beamy to me. But, what they make up for in practicality can supercede that in most cases.

Recently I've invested in two 1x12 cabs and have really liked the results. Together, they sound just as big as a 2x12 cab, but with better, more"3D" projection based on the different ways you can angle and position them. A gigging musician can also get by with one 1x12 in need be if the venue calls for it and if speaker and amplifier choice are appropriate.
        I think being oversized 1x12 cabs helps too.
        Who took my guitar?

Comment

How's about a 4-10??

Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

I kind of want a 4x10” combo...
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by saladin View Post
              How's about a 4-10??

Thanks, but my main goal is weight relief and while yes a 4x10 generally weighs less than a 4x12, it isnt enough of a weight reduction for my goals. Also, i prefer the sound of closed back cabs over open back cabs. Also, i really like my current head, so i dont have much appetite for attempting to replace it.
              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                I kind of want a 4x10” combo...
                This one is free ($0),,,,,,somehow I doubt it's free from a pawn shop haha

Comment

For a cab with mix speakers, Yamaha has the THRC212 with the Eminence Legend1218 and the Tonker 12 drivers.

Comment

Working...
                  X