No announcement yet.

Apartment tube amps - recommend a high gainer and a Fender-ish blues amp <15w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Apartment tube amps - recommend a high gainer and a Fender-ish blues amp &lt;15w

FULLSIZE 5150/5152/6505/6534/6260/6262

120w.

Pull 2 tubes, stick a volume or EQ through the loop.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Re: Apartment tube amps - recommend a high gainer and a Fender-ish blues amp &lt;15w

Keep your nice, sexy, more powerful tube amps for when you are sitting next to a drummer at gigs or band rehearsals.
      Use a roland micro cube or something similar at home for simple practicing.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I'd look at getting a Peavey 6505MH and a Fender Bassbreaker 007 head and then look for a nice 1x12 extension cabinet.
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

If you're planning on using anything higher than a 5w fender-style tube amp for your cleans then the volume will increase dramatically when you punch in an OD pedal (unless you find just the right kinda compressed pedal). So you may have to get an attenuator just so that you can have low headroom even at low volumes.

Comment

Take a look at the Peavey Classic 20 it is higher gain than people would expect. Don't let the tweed cover and the "classic' in the name fool you. You can definitely get to the AIC realm with the amp without a pedal. The cleans are amazing and the amp is very feature rich. Channel switching, you can turn the loop on and off with the foot switch and incrediblly deep reverb. The built-in boost also nice

Comment

Re: Apartment tube amps - recommend a high gainer and a Fender-ish blues amp &amp;lt;15w

I see you mentioned the DSL which would work for what you want, seems like the new ones have better sounds at low master volume but if you ever crank the 50W one you'll eventually miss the roar it puts out which really does the Marshall thing, at low volume it sounds "good" in the grand scheme of things but it's nothing like the fun of that amp cranked.

In the dirt category try the orange Or15. It has *almost* Marshally tones with all the gain you could need, sounds good at bedroom and cranked volume, and has a nice aggressive sound to it, but if you don't run the gain super high it had nice backed off mostly clean tone. Really good sounding preamp in it. Only the slightest bit of fizz at bedroom volume which is really good for a high gain low wattage type. Has fx loop but no verb.

That fender super sonic 22 though seriously with the mids knob cranked and put in a British speaker, you'll have a slightly different flavor but it sounds good for everything I used to use Marshall and orange for. I still want an Or15 again but I certainly don't need one! You can have your 2 amp purchases condensed into one real do it all amp with really really good reverb. And a nice transparent switchable loop.

Other option for nailing both amps with one buy is Mesa. The Electra dyne has nuts American type cleans and the gain is pretty Marshall sounding on the gain channel but smooth and liquid tones like the jvm can be had. It's High wattage but sounds good rolled back. Really full sounds at high volume. They are not very expensive for a Mesa.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
              Last edited by FuseG4; 02-23-2019, 11:36 AM.

Comment

So I live in an apartment and I play my JCM800 50w amp, my Vox AC30, and my Blues Jr without any issues.. Naturally I don't crank them for more than a very short time - during the day, etc, etc.
                If I'm not playing 'loud', I'm playing through a Yamaha THR10C. Gets a good take on a variety of amps, at volumes perfect for keeping happy neighbours.

So my answer for you is buy the tube amps that you'll use when you play out, then just get a simple modelling thing for when you're at home and playing quietly. You can still use big amps in an apartment, just be nice if your neighbours complain.

Comment

Originally posted by AxlOz View Post
                  So I live in an apartment and I play my JCM800 50w amp, my Vox AC30, and my Blues Jr without any issues.. Naturally I don't crank them for more than a very short time - during the day, etc, etc.
                  If I'm not playing 'loud', I'm playing through a Yamaha THR10C. Gets a good take on a variety of amps, at volumes perfect for keeping happy neighbours.

So my answer for you is buy the tube amps that you'll use when you play out, then just get a simple modelling thing for when you're at home and playing quietly. You can still use big amps in an apartment, just be nice if your neighbours complain.
                  This is what I was doing
                  I had a Peavey VIP and a Roland Cube
                  For low volume house playing

Then I got my Bugera G5
                  Its tube
                  And its quiet

The Blackstar is probably the same amp
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

For apartment levels, I use an Emery SuperBaby into an old Randall cab I put a Celestion G12 Heritage in and just swap tubes to make whatever amp sound I want. But I think that is over your budget.

Comment

Peavey Classic 20 like Securb recommended or a HT5. They've been re-voiced and IMO sound better than the older ones.

Also consider the Blackstar Studio 10 Series.
                      Last edited by Drunken Bowling; 02-25-2019, 11:53 PM.

Comment

I have an 18 watt 2-6v6 Mesa amp (no master volume), and there is no way you can turn that up in an apartment to get the power tubes distorting. It would be louder than I need for a full band. I agree- 5 watts or less for apartment playing.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by AxlOz View Post

Funnily enough, I have the THR10X. It actually does have very decent tones, but I missed the options and tone shaping of a tube amp. 60% of the time I'm good with it for noodling. But tonight I was on my AC10, cranked the preamp gain and only slightly on the master volume, pushed it with a pedal and I got a fantastic Parissienne Walkways tone through my LP, and kinda wanted that same feeling when I'm playing different types of music, like SRV or Rammstein Not something the THR can do unfortunately. But I get what you're saying!
                          'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

Try the THR10C - it has a 'Class A' amp model that is meant to resemble an old Matchless - the THR's never nail a tone, but I can get some good vox vibes outta mine. Good enough for when I don't feel comfortable firing up the actual AC30 that is...
                            I love the sound of tube amps and have never played a modelling thing that will sway me from that, but the simplicity, flexibility, and the compactness of the THR's win me for at home noodling and exploring new ideas. I'd like to try one of those Vox Adio things someday too - similar to the THR but its a Vox..

Comment

Working...
                            X