Vintage 30 type speaker recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage 30 type speaker recommendation

So I’ve been looking for the upper mid push of this speaker for quite a while now without realizing it. Vintage 30s are expensive, though. Should I be looking beyond the Governor and the Veteran 30 as options? Which of the two do you prefer?

Re: Vintage 30 type speaker recommendation

Eminence cv75.
    I do not own them but have played through a fellows 2 12 with the 16ohms in it. They sound good to my ears. Really close to the V30's I figure. Maybe a touch more to the bass on the CV and a little less treble.

Comment

WGS vet30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
        WGS vet30
        I already have a 16-ohm Governor and am looking for its mate. Honestly I’m kind of leaning towards the Veteran 30 not because I dislike the Governor but because the WGS has a lower SPL. And I really have enjoyed the Green Beret pair I was using, so I have a high opinion of WGS in general.

Comment

Theres a speaker thread on here that has a You Tube Video where they compare speakers with about 3-4 Vintage 30s in the comparison along with a 65 and at least a dozen 70s and 75s.

Side by side I'm sure you'll come to the rational and logical conclusion that Vintage 30s are the still best. no matter which one you pick.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
            So I’ve been looking for the upper mid push of this speaker for quite a while now without realizing it. Vintage 30s are expensive, though. Should I be looking beyond the Governor and the Veteran 30 as options? Which of the two do you prefer?
            I'm a WGS fan but not of the Vet 30. I find the Vet to be dull and dark for me. I much prefer the Retro 30 as it's a lot livelier and brighter.
            Last edited by Ascension; 02-21-2019, 11:08 PM.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

My favorite in order are:

1. Mesa Vintage 30
              2. Marshall MFV30
              3. WGS Veteran 30
              4. Celestion Vintage 30
              5. WGS Retro 30

Based on your requirements, I think the WGS Retro 30 would be the best option. It is more reminiscent of the Celestion V30 than the Veteran 30 is.

I own all the speakers I listed, but I haven't owned a Governor. The many clips I've heard of it have left me unimpressed though.
              However, I do personally like the Veteran 30 better than the Retro 30. But that does not mean it is better...
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Electro Harmonix makes a version at $44

EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Just buy used Mesa / UK
                  "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
                    I own all the speakers I listed, but I haven't owned a Governor. The many clips I've heard of it have left me unimpressed though.
                    I've played through one, and in the room, they sound alright. Throw a mic in front of one, and it falls apart, though. Fizzy highs, hollow mids, and boomy lows. Even in the room, I'd take a Chinese Vintage 30 over a Governor any day of the week, personally.
                    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-22-2019, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Check the Wizard. governors are more like a g12H75.
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

If you want a Vintage 30, get a V30. They pop up used every once in a while for a lot less cash.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I agree, just hunt v30's until you find one at a good price. They are cloned and copied for a reason.
                          Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

I might just buy a new one. It looks like they’re only $25 more than the ripoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                              I might just buy a new one. It looks like they’re only $25 more than the ripoffs.
                              Wouldn't call similar speakers just a rip off. Depends on the cab and amp but I for example prefer the WGS Retro 30 in an open backed cab to a Celestian Vintage 30 in most cases. They have different tones and it's the tone that counts not the name IMO. Let you ears be the judge not a brand name.
                              Guitars
                              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X