Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vintage 30 type speaker recommendation

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
    So I’ve been looking for the upper mid push of this speaker for quite a while now without realizing it. Vintage 30s are expensive, though. Should I be looking beyond the Governor and the Veteran 30 as options? Which of the two do you prefer?
    The upper mids push of the Celestion versions is what many of the others pull back to a degree, so the Celestion versions may be what you prefer.

I have come back around to liking V30s, but mine all have at least 20 years on them now. Broke in and aged I think they are wonderful speakers. That might be a reason to go with a used set. At least they may have some more hours on them. Avatar sells partially broke in versions they call the Hellatone 60s.

There are subtle differences among the Celestion versions.

The Marshall G12 Vintage is the original version dating to as early as 1986. It is often described as the brightest sounding version. This preceived brightness may be because it has a hint of G12H30 to it. It is UK made.

The Celestion UK version dating back to the early 90s has thicker mids.

The Celestion China version dating from the early 2000s some describe as harsher sounding but some may like the more aggressive tone.

The Mesa version is UK made and retains the thicker mids. (also Mesa usually wires their cabs to be 8 ohms which has slightly less top and bottom compared to 16 ohms.)

Comment

If you're buying a new one, just be advised that they take a VERY long time to break in. They do not sound as good early on.
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

So is there any downside to going with the Avatar Hellatone 60 beside it not saying Celestion on the back of the speaker? It's cheaper and already broken-in. What's the catch?

Comment

I had a eminence Legend V12 which I'm pretty sure is a slightly budget minded model and it had sort of a stiff sound from not being broken in but it had nice upper mid push and just a little pulled back in the high end, and the bass was pretty tight.
          I had it for a while but sold it when I sold the DSL amp I was using it with. It sounded good when it was nice and loud in a 1x12 with the 50W amp giving it the business... But not great.
          Never got to play that particular amp with a real v30 for fair comparison but every time I play other amps/cabs with Celestion v30s I hear a touch more treble and a certain raw "interesting character" and complexity so if I could go back I would get a "real one" cuz I like that "untamed" sound I hear

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
            So is there any downside to going with the Avatar Hellatone 60 beside it not saying Celestion on the back of the speaker? It's cheaper and already broken-in. What's the catch?
            No downside that I can think of, unless you want the subtle tonal properties of the Mesa or Marshall versions. It's started down the road to being broke in as I understand it. It will sound better the more it ages, but just getting it to the point where you can like playing it is a big help.

Comment

I recently became a fan of that newer Celestion "V Type" speaker. It seems to have the mid focus of a V30 without the nasty spike that the V30 has.
              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Ordered a Hellatone 60 today. Seems like the right fit.

Comment

My v30 list is:

1. Mesa V30
                  2. WGS's Vet 30
                  3. Marshall V30
                  3. WGC's Retro
                  4. Celestion V30

B
                  FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I just ordered the EHX 75 watt vintage 30 inspired clone for $44 and tax
                    Because I'm cheap
                    I have come to terms with it
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                    X