How to sell heavy-a$$ cabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to sell heavy-a$$ cabs

I'm used to downsizing my gear on reverb or ebay but now I want to sell both a Mesa Boogie oversized (slant) and traditional (straight) cab. Seeing as how these are both 100lb+ what are the best avenues to sell these? I'm not in a heavily populated, or ritzy town (less than 100k people, a good amount of them college students) so craigslist or facebook marketplace don't seem feasible.

Re: How to sell heavy-a$$ cabs

Craigslist

College kids love brands and weenie symbols, and grown-azz folk will drive an hour or two for a good deal, too. And people without cars don't buy 4x12's anyway.

PS wait wth? Champaign Illinois, TRANSLATION:INDIANAPOLIS ST LOUIS CHICAGO???? youre almost in the second biggest metro area on the continent dude. And the only bigger one spans half the length of the East Coast and doesn't really count.

Double list in Chicago Chicago if your locals don't search that far and wide (although here in SoCal, people usually search 3-4 counties)
    Last edited by Adieu; 02-23-2019, 07:46 AM.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Reverb is awesome, too. If you purchase a shipping label through them, it’s usually a lot cheaper than usual. I recently shipped a fairly heavy resonator guitar through Reverb with UPS for $35.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Every 15 -25-year-old kid wants a big amp. You will have no problem moving them. I have gotten rid of many 4x12s very quickly

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
          Reverb is awesome, too. If you purchase a shipping label through them, it’s usually a lot cheaper than usual. I recently shipped a fairly heavy resonator guitar through Reverb with UPS for $35.
          Uhm, I dunno about now, but several years back $80 shipped heavy solidbody guitars to other CONTINENTS via USPS...

$35 doesn't sound like much of a discount

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
            Every 15 -25-year-old kid wants a big amp. You will have no problem moving them. I have gotten rid of many 4x12s very quickly
            I still want a big amp

Comment

That was me! That paycheck from Subway and Steak'n'Shake was pretty fat with no rent and food to pay for. A wall of sound was my idea of a good investment back in the day.

And yes I am 2.5 hours away from both Chicago and Indianapolis. I should do craigslist and fbook marketplace for both, with the stipulation that they drive to me. The worst thing that could happen is driving 5 hours round trip and having someone low-ball me at the destination. I wouldn't accept less than 500 for the recto slant (it's the older straight cab, angled baffle style) or 550 for the traditional (it's minty and low use).. is that unreasonable?

Comment

I can personally attest to this.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
                Originally posted by Myaccount876
                Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                  Uhm, I dunno about now, but several years back $80 shipped heavy solidbody guitars to other CONTINENTS via USPS...

$35 doesn't sound like much of a discount
                  That was several years back. $35 is a great deal, the last guitar I shipped through USPS (through Reverb) was $48, and I shipped one I sold on the forum from CO to NY and it cost ~$75 thru Fedex (yes, it was a shock to me too), shipping has gone up a lot in the last few years.

Unfortunately I think a 4-12 is outside of the USPS shipping, that gets into a freight company thing, or very expensive UPS or Fedex charges. I agree with the others, list them on Craigslist, for nice Mesa cabs people will drive to pick them up.

Comment

I've got at least 5 Cabs that are too big to gig or travel with for most things because I use a lot of club backline and backline services these days, so they sit waiting to be used to record.

The problem is, I usually cant get the money their worth and if I sell any of them I'll inevitably need one for something important and have to buy it back for much more.

So I just keep them.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by rainsong86 View Post
                      I wouldn't accept less than 500 for the recto slant (it's the older straight cab, angled baffle style) or 550 for the traditional (it's minty and low use).. is that unreasonable?
                      I wouldn't say unreasonable, but it's toward the high end of decent pricing on Minneapolis CL.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                        That was several years back. $35 is a great deal, the last guitar I shipped through USPS (through Reverb) was $48, and I shipped one I sold on the forum from CO to NY and it cost ~$75 thru Fedex (yes, it was a shock to me too), shipping has gone up a lot in the last few years.

Unfortunately I think a 4-12 is outside of the USPS shipping, that gets into a freight company thing, or very expensive UPS or Fedex charges. I agree with the others, list them on Craigslist, for nice Mesa cabs people will drive to pick them up.
                        Never ship thru FedEx or UPS as a private party... they seem to have sweetheart deals with organizations keeping them afloat, but for individuals, they'll always rob you blind vs. USPS

Also the lack of Saturday delivery and the way they tally shipping days will, afaik, make them almost ALWAYS days later than USPS on cheapo shipping, since anything but Monday morning dropoff makes it a "next week delivery" parcel

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                          Never ship thru FedEx or UPS as a private party... they seem to have sweetheart deals with organizations keeping them afloat, but for individuals, they'll always rob you blind vs. USPS

Also the lack of Saturday delivery and the way they tally shipping days will, afaik, make them almost ALWAYS days later than USPS on cheapo shipping, since anything but Monday morning dropoff makes it a "next week delivery" parcel
                          I don't remember what the price for USPS was, but UPS was significantly cheaper and got the guitar there in a day. But I agree about shipping as a private party, so sell **** on Reverb, ship using their discount, and save a bunch of money.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I always try Craigslist or OfferUp to avoid fees and shipping. If that doesn't work you may need to resort to Ebay and possibly split the shipping with a buyer unless you are selling the cab for quite a bit less than it's worth to make up for the shipping cost. Depending on what you are asking for the cab people may not be willing to pay the shipping on top of the cab price. Shipping is a pain especially for something so big and heavy. I've also heard of people buying insurance, having to file a claim, and the shipper claiming the item wasn't packed sufficiently enough and denying their insurance claim. Having said that, If you end up having to ship it be sure to pack the crap out of it.

*Update* Eventhough you don't think local listings will work I'd try it first anyways. If it does work it will save you money on fees and the hassle of shipping. I think you will be hardpressed to get top dollar on those cabs and get the buyers to pay all the shipping.
                            Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 02-27-2019, 02:35 PM.
                            Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
                            Roland Cube 60
                            Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
                            BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
                            LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
                            Mogami Cables
                            Mooer Candy Toppers
                            Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
                            Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

I used to have a 4x12 Mesa Cab myself and downsized to a 2x12 to make it easier to transport if I ever wanted to.
                              Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
                              Roland Cube 60
                              Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
                              BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
                              LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
                              Mogami Cables
                              Mooer Candy Toppers
                              Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
                              Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Working...
                              X