Finding a 2x12 for Fender Prosonic head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a 2x12 for Fender Prosonic head

I need a 2x12 cab for live and rehearsing and hope you can advise. My only/main amp at the moment is the Fender Prosonic head (60watts), and my only cab up till now has been the Marshall 1960A 4x12. Ain't playing arenas, as much as I like 4x12s.

I play strats, and switch between a lot of clean and vintage vibes and high gain. Reason I'm posting is I don't know jack about all these speaker types out there. I have gotten some advice that the Prosonic was designed to go with Vintage 30's and to get a vibro king 2x12 if possible (can't find them). Then I read that actually the vintage 30's fender was using were 'special'/different than what you'd find in say an Orange PPC.

Here's what I've come up with:
    -Kerry Wright diagonal 2x12 (problem is I hear the waiting list is a year and practically, that doesn't really work)
    -Dr. Z Z best (really curious about these)
    -Bogner oversized 212
    -Stone Age 212 (again, would be a blind buy)
    -Considering the Mesa vertical recto 212

So, I know there's no magic answer, more trying to understand any speaker types to steer clear from with this particular amp. Or even better, do you own this head and any 212's you've liked with it.

Re: Finding a 2x12 for Fender Prosonic head

The Fender Supersonic 2x12 cab comes with Vintage 30s. Are they the proprietary Fender V30s? I don't know.

Mesa cabs usually feature Vintage 30s and their V30 is a proprietary version. It is supposed to be smoother than the standard v30.

Marshall also has a proprietary V30. It is available in their 1936V and 2536 2x12 cabs. Once thoroughly broke in, these are my favorite version.

Comment

i have a vibroking 2x12 and its a great freakin cab. its an odd size i guess, it sounds great and isnt overly cumbersome

Comment

I was gonna say the supersonic 212 would do well.
        The supersonic is the successor to the prosonic

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Comment

Owned quite a few Prosonics over the years.

Heads seem to like speakers like the Celestian Vintage 30's or WGS Retro 30 in a closed back cab IMO.
          Own a Zinky Blue Velvet right now but not a Prosonic and miss the amps. The heads were voiced a little differently from the combos it's hard to describe unless you have them side by side but absolutely LOVE the heads!!
          I had good luck with the Avatar close back 2/12's i had but a lot of really good cabs out there.
          The one I REALLY miss is this monster! 120 watt Prosonic head with reverb 1 of one handbuilt by Bruce Zinky himself and given to Brad Whitford. I bought it but had unfortunately to sell off a bunch of gear to save my home in a crisis and that was one that went.
          Recorded this track with the red 120 watt Prosonic head on an Avatar 212 loaded with Celestian G12 Heritages
          Last edited by Ascension; 03-03-2019, 12:23 AM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Hard to go wrong with Avatar cabs, plus you get to pick the speakers, colors, etc... I used 2 of the 2-12s with a rack rig at one point and it sounded amazing. These days I'm down to 1 of their 1-12 convertibles (which is a big 1-12 cab). Well made, lots of options, very competitive pricing, and made in the US.

Comment

I use one of THESE and loaded it with an Eminence Wizard and a Swamp Thang (both 16 ohms wired in parallel for overall impedance of 8 ohms), two speakers with nearly identical high sensitivities and which compliment each other frequency-wise.
              I have the Supersonic 22 head which is supposedly taken from the DNA of the Prosonic.

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
                I use one of THESE and loaded it with an Eminence Wizard and a Swamp Thang (both 16 ohms wired in parallel for overall impedance of 8 ohms), two speakers with nearly identical high sensitivities and which compliment each other frequency-wise.
                I have the Supersonic 22 head which is supposedly taken from the DNA of the Prosonic.
                Kinda jealous of that cab sir I already think the supersonic 22 kicks butt in combo form and I've run mine with a 112 ext cab before but not through a good 212 so I assume it's pretty legit!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Comment

If I remember correctly, the 4 12 cab for the Prosonic was the ge412 or dt412. The speakers for the cab were the celestion 70 80's.
                  Nice amp. I love mine.
                  As far as what speakers in my opinion are good, I have had the amp for 21 years and have played through many different speakers/cabs. They all sounded good to me.
                  I am thinking, kinda thinking, maybe sorta thinking of getting some celestion redbacks for a 2 12 for mine and either building or buying a cheap used 2 12.

Don't let anyone, ever, never ever, ever never ever lead you to believe a Supersonic is like a Prosonic. It's not.

Just looked on line the dt 412 has g12's.
                  Last edited by PS412; 03-03-2019, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Great info here - I appreciate your replies. I'll be looking into Avatar and the others mentioned. Would love to try the prosonic with the Z best because I've never really encountered a ported cab like that, but access to those is tough. Thanks for the info. Awesome to hear a track with the prosonic on it.

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post
                      If I remember correctly, the 4 12 cab for the Prosonic was the ge412 or dt412. The speakers for the cab were the celestion 70 80's.
                      Nice amp. I love mine.
                      As far as what speakers in my opinion are good, I have had the amp for 21 years and have played through many different speakers/cabs. They all sounded good to me.
                      I am thinking, kinda thinking, maybe sorta thinking of getting some celestion redbacks for a 2 12 for mine and either building or buying a cheap used 2 12.

Don't let anyone, ever, never ever, ever never ever lead you to believe a Supersonic is like a Prosonic. It's not.

Just looked on line the dt 412 has g12's.
                      Prosonic cab ran Vin 30's they ran the same cab as the Tonemasters. Bruce voiced those amps to run Vin 30's or so he told me. i know he had a handful f 1/12 combos built with Vin 30's but Fender wanted the 2/10's.
                      See several compare the Prosonic and the Supersonic and can tell you they are not even close. Owned both at the same time and the Prosonic is a MUCH more aggressive amp with a completely different voicing. The Prosonics are real fire-breathers and the Supersonic is much more mellow!!
                      Guitars
                      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

+1 to Avatar 2x12"

BTW, Prosonic is a bloody awesome amp IMO. Have a lot of fun, mate!
                        Wackor
                        Ørdøg
                        NecroPolo
                        Diabolus in Musica
                        SIDrip Alliance
                        Book of Shadows
                        RKH

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                          Prosonic cab ran Vin 30's they ran the same cab as the Tonemasters. Bruce voiced those amps to run Vin 30's or so he told me. i know he had a handful f 1/12 combos built with Vin 30's but Fender wanted the 2/10's.
                          See several compare the Prosonic and the Supersonic and can tell you they are not even close. Owned both at the same time and the Prosonic is a MUCH more aggressive amp with a completely different voicing. The Prosonics are real fire-breathers and the Supersonic is much more mellow!!
                          Isn't the Celestion Vintage 10" 60 watter supposed to be the 10" version of the Vintage 30?. I seem to remember them being marketed as such, and would be a good 10" I would think to use with the Prosonic 2-10 if that is in fact true.
                          Al

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
                            Isn't the Celestion Vintage 10" 60 watter supposed to be the 10" version of the Vintage 30?. I seem to remember them being marketed as such, and would be a good 10" I would think to use with the Prosonic 2-10 if that is in fact true.
                            Al
                            It was. I owned 3 of the 2/10 combos and converted one to a 1/12. Th e 2/10's sounded good but were very directional and harder to mic than the 1/12 was. Zinky wated those amps to be 1/12 but Fender insisted on the 2/10's. Those speakers were unique to that amp BTW. One speaker that works well with this amp is the WGS ET 10. Have an ET 90 in my Zinky Blue Velvet and a ET 10 in my little Mesa Subway rocket combo. Bruce Zinky designed the Prosonic while he was running the Fender CS In Scottsdale. REALLY good sounding speaker with an amp like these.
                            Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post

I had to do a double take because at first glance that cab read MOOO TONE to me. :P
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X