Fractal Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fractal Units

Hey guys, I have been a die-hard tube fan and I love my Marshall JVM and the killer tones it delivers. However, I just can't help but notice that many experienced guitarists and many professional touring guitarists are using Fractal Axe FX units. The thought of having less weight to carry around is very appealing. There are threads posted on this forum that reference the Fractal units, but I can't find a dedicated informational thread.

Can you guys share your comments about the Fractal audio units?

Which unit(s) do you own or have previous experience with?
    What are the 'pros' and 'cons' of the units?
    What type of rig do you recommend - is there a particular power amplifier, speaker, PA setup, pedal routing, etc?
    Does the Fractal really respond and feel pretty much like you'd expect a "real" tube amp?

If you can think of other things to add, please do... I am just curious. I can't believe I've finally come around the block and have opened my mind to the possibility of using a modeling unit.
    ROCK ON.

Re: Fractal Units

I use an AX8 direct to the PA. I monitor onstage with IEMs. There really isn't a downside to this: I sound clearer, the band mix is better, and I have access to a world of guitar rigs at my feet. I don't have to carry a big amp to gigs anymore and worry about my hearing. To me, it responds like the amp it is emulating.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My best friend has one that he uses to record with. They're insanely convenient if you're looking for realistic tones of sought after amps but they're pricey. He's been trying to get me to buy one. I could conceivably save up and buy one, but then I'd have to also buy speakers, a power amp, buy a desk or table, hook the unit up to my computer and find somewhere to keep it all set up because breaking it down to make space for my Total Gym every day would be a PITA. My space is limited as is my budget. Then you have to learn how to use it and all those options are overwhelming. I got overwhelmed by my Marshall Code and ended up giving it to my nephew. Not knocking them, they're just not for me.

Comment

Well, you certainly have to dedicate space and a lot of time to finding the sounds. They don't have the immediacy of an amp. I am one of those strange people that loves coming up with my sounds, so it doesn't bother me at all. I can see that if you are used to just turning a few knobs it won't be your thing.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Have axe fx II...put it thru Yamaha hs8s...the sound and versatility is unbeatable....found great standard sounds immediately with straight amp models...the real killer deal about it is the ability to tweak your sound as deep as you are willing to invest the time...coming from using 5e3 and PRRI have moved on wit the fx II to a half a dozen presets that are more appealing to me and quickly at hand first time every time.

Comment

I had an Axe Fx II for almost a decade.

I loved it but eventually sold it as I was really not using it as much as I had been for recording and such. Back to tube amp and pedals.

The first thing to understand is that any of the high end modelling units require time and patience to get your sound. Although they are very much like an amp in tweaking each amp, and then putting a cab to it, the options are dizzying. There are literally millions of potential ways to use the unit for amp/cab/effect combinations. Be prepared to spend some time finding your sound and learning to use the unit itself.

For the gear itself, there are a couple of options. As Mincer said, the AX8 is a great on-floor pedal unit that can plug into just about any PA/FOH type unit and get amazing sounds. The two downsides to the AX8 are that first, if you want to record your stuff into a DAW, you need an interface to do that, and although there is plenty of processing power within the AX8, there are nowhere near the number of preset slots available like on the full blown Axe Fx III.

If you are looking more towards the larger units, you don't absolutely need the Axe Fx III. It has better processing power, more preset slots, and can do a few more things with effects, but any of the Axe Fx II units are plenty for a home hobbyist or someone just gigging for fun. The Axe Fx II and III are also recording interfaces, so basically, plug the USB into your computer and you can record into a DAW.

The issue with the II and III are size and other stuff needed. The III is kinda big, and with either one, you really should protect it and have it in rack system of some kind. Those are bulky. Much bigger than some of the new lunchbox amp heads. If you are a guitar cab die hard, then you will need a Power Amp and a Guitar Cab, BUT then you won't be using the amazing IRs within the units. I didn't like that sound option, as the IRs are truly spectacular, so the other option is an FRFR speaker system. If you get unpowered ones, you will also need a power amp. I played through a XiTone 1x12 powered Wedge and not only was it LOUD, but it was crystal clear and really let the unit with the cab sims engaged shine. You also need to invest in some kind of floor pedal unit to control the Axe Fx II or III which is a disadvantage compared to the AX8, which is a self contained floor unit.

One of the pros is that you can recreate virtually any guitar sound you've ever heard on any record ever. The con is the same thing, funny enough. You can chase tone forever on those things. And it can be a very frustrating endeavor. That being said, there are the Fractal Forums with amazing people to help you, there are oodles of YouTube videos on tweaking them, and there is a site called AxeChange, which has presets uploaded by the community for you to download to your unit and try.

When I got the unit itself, one of the HUGE pros was the ability to record with it seemlessly. No mics to fiddle with, no speakers to move around, no room reverb issues, and can be done 100% silently. And what you hear is what is recorded. It's incredible. No cons to that.

All of this gloriousness comes at a price. When I purchased the Axe Fx II it was $2100, I believe. Then $700 for the floor unit and another $900 for the XiTone Wedge. That may seem like a lot, but that is basically the price of one high end amp, and a couple of pedals. Then you need all kinds of other things if you are interested in recording.

Do I recommend one? 100% FOR SURE. They are incredible pieces of hardware and if you are realistic about your needs and spend just a little bit of time getting to know the unit, it will rock your world.
            Last edited by Old Guy; 03-21-2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

I'm using fractal units more than 6 years (Axe Fx Ultra & AX8) and I have multiple tube amps (Mesa, Marshall, Fender...)
              If you want better tones and headroom you will get from tube amps but you have to spend more time to place microphones, carry the amp, etc..
              But if you want quick solitions with okay tones and you don't wanna carry 20 kg to live shows just go with fractal units.

For my youtube cover videos I just use my Axe Fx presets and just focus my playings and video quality because I don't have too much free time. But if I'm going to record a single or make recording for a band I just go with tube amps.

Here you are you can find some examples;

AX8
              https://youtu.be/2pehwauBEvQ

Axe Fx Ultra
              https://youtu.be/Y8-CJFDBo7g

Marshall Mini Silver Jubilee (25W Tube Amp)
              https://youtu.be/Pw9GOxyXUvg
              https://www.youtube.com/arayadis

Comment

Originally posted by arayadis View Post
                I'm using fractal units more than 6 years (Axe Fx Ultra & AX8) and I have multiple tube amps (Mesa, Marshall, Fender...)
                If you want better tones and headroom you will get from tube amps but you have to spend more time to place microphones, carry the amp, etc..
                But if you want quick solitions with okay tones and you don't wanna carry 20 kg to live shows just go with fractal units.

For my youtube cover videos I just use my Axe Fx presets and just focus my playings and video quality because I don't have too much free time. But if I'm going to record a single or make recording for a band I just go with tube amps.

Here you are you can find some examples;

AX8
                https://youtu.be/2pehwauBEvQ

Axe Fx Ultra
                https://youtu.be/Y8-CJFDBo7g

Marshall Mini Silver Jubilee (25W Tube Amp)
                https://youtu.be/Pw9GOxyXUvg
                Nice videos and playing, brother!! Subbed to your channel. Wow.

Comment

I don't have a Fractal but I have a modeler (Avid Eleven Rack). Sounds as good in FOH that all amps I heard micing.
                  The big point is convenience and weight. Fits in a 2U rack case with space on the back for cables, midi footswitch and expression pedal. One (light) trip from car to gig, 10 minutes setup, same sound every night and no cab/mic to deal with. I'm using a (provided by venue) powered PA speaker for monitor.

Back to Fractal, AX8 is convenient but on the floor (beer spill), AxeFx II (discountinued) is in a rack with a more complicated user interface (and good enough for weekend warriors), AxeFx III is bigger but being newer it will be updated for many years. All depends on you budget and your footswitching preferences.
                  Like a tube amp you have to match a cab, mostly FRFR to get the benefice of cab modeling (IR).
                  And just be prepare to give time to your ears to adapt to listening to guitar sounding like on a recording and not like a amp in the room. FOH will get the same sound you hear.

Comment

Working...
                  X