Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In the market for a 3-4 channel amp

Originally posted by Jr_vw2 View Post
    So clean channel. I dont need sparkling cleans just cleanish. Think ambient type music, delay, reverb, loop pedal type stuff. Would be nice to get cleanish with vol rolled back and then slight dirt with vol up.

Crunch channel think more like ac/dc meets van Halen. Thick but not not super focused, plenty of sag touch sensitive. Would like to get a nice bluesy rock tone with the vol rolled off.

Lead channel needs to be full blast in your face metal but not scooped or overly trebley. This is the channel that I would really like to get the tone from the amp and not have to run a boost or eq pedal.
    I'm with Bill on this one, the MkV is a great choice. For what you want Channel 1 on Fat or Tweed mode, Channel 2 Edge or Crunch mode 45w setting with the tube rectifier on, and Channel 2 any of the modes with the Graphic EQ on.
    sigpic
    Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

So clean channel. I dont need sparkling cleans just cleanish. Think ambient type music, delay, reverb, loop pedal type stuff. Would be nice to get cleanish with vol rolled back and then slight dirt with vol up.

Crunch channel think more like ac/dc meets van Halen. Thick but not not super focused, plenty of sag touch sensitive. Would like to get a nice bluesy rock tone with the vol rolled off.

Lead channel needs to be full blast in your face metal but not scooped or overly trebley. This is the channel that I would really like to get the tone from the amp and not have to run a boost or eq pedal.
      In reality, the lead channel is the one that is most likely to need a boost for tightness. "[F]ull-blast in your face metal" bands almost always use a boost, even with really high-gain amps.

With that caveat said, this really sounds like a Bogner Ecstasy to me.

EDIT: Since I own one of the other recommendations in this thread and don't think it's what you're looking for, I'll say that the Ironheart has no sag on any of its channels. It's very stiff.
      Last edited by Cynical; 03-26-2019, 12:49 PM.

Comment

So I play a lot of different styles in 2 different bands plus solo work. So I need a wide variety of tones on tap. If you saw my other post I wanted to give Panama amps a try and decided on the inferno 100. but it would be 3+ months before I would get an amp from them. So now I'm back to square one. The second amp that was on my list was the peavey invective 120.

I dont need fender cleans. But most amps will clean up pretty good with guitar volume. So what others should I look at?

I would really like to hear from those with first hand experience with whatever amp you are recommending. Thanks
        What amp do you have right now?

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
          What amp do you have right now?
          Currently A/B a jcm 800 and an orange cr120. And I'm over it.
          Insert witty signature here so people on the internet will think I'm cool....

Comment

Not really an amp but I ran my Avid Eleven Rack (amp modeler) for years going to a Peavey Classic 60/60 tube power amp and to a Peavey 4x12" loaded with Celestion G12-K100 speakers. The Marshall models are stupid good (JCM800 and Plexi), Fender models are good but I used a Matchless model for cleans. (Bogner, Soldano and Boogie models are also good). Just suggesting amp modeler since you are playing in more than one band. That's what I do, I setup mine as a 4-channel amp for each band (blues, classic rock, 80's rock).

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
              A couple of more options:

JVM410- Four channels and three gain stages for each. Clean channel, crunch channel, and two lead channels. The lead channels are actually the same gain levels, but the mid focus of one is 600hz and the other is 500hz. Each channel has its own eq and volume controls, its own reverb and presence. Two switchable master volumes.
              I was thinking Marshall myself. The JCM200 DSL has a ton of options for tone also.

The DSL 100 and DSL 50's Channel B features two modes. The first, Lead 1, gives an open high gain crunch,with traditional Marshall characteristics, similar to a hot-rodded JCM 800 2203 master volume. The Lead 2 mode however gives a mid-boosted tone coupled with even higher gain possibilities (JCM 900). As with Channel B, Channel A features two modes.The first, Clean, is reminiscent of an early 1959 Plexi SuperLead head. Depending on Gain settings this mode will take you from clean to a controlled Plexi stylecrunch. Crunch will take you up to a JCM 800 2203 style grind

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                Not really an amp but I ran my Avid Eleven Rack (amp modeler) for years going to a Peavey Classic 60/60 tube power amp and to a Peavey 4x12" loaded with Celestion G12-K100 speakers. The Marshall models are stupid good (JCM800 and Plexi), Fender models are good but I used a Matchless model for cleans. (Bogner, Soldano and Boogie models are also good). Just suggesting amp modeler since you are playing in more than one band. That's what I do, I setup mine as a 4-channel amp for each band (blues, classic rock, 80's rock).
                Yea I'm thinking if the OP wants thT kinda versatility
                He really just needs a modeling amp

Maybe a modeling preamp and a tube power section

Maybe just a straight up Mustang or Vyper

Maybe the Vox one where you get the five button switch that lets you choose the patch for different schemas
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Did we ever get the budget? Personally, the Bogner Ecstasy or Rivera Knucklehead Reverb are two of the most flexible amps around. I would also check out Diamond Amps because they're a 2 channel amp with a footswitchable secondary gain/volume setting on channel 2, which makes it act like a third channel. Diamond & Rivera both can be found used for reasonable prices.

Comment

Working...
                  X