Unplugging amp same as turning off powerstrip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unplugging amp same as turning off powerstrip

Hi. This may be a stupid question but just asking Incase there’s something here for me to learn:

I just ordered a surge protector powerstrip for my amp. I am not sure if it will cause an interfering noise or not, but that’s not my question

My question is:

I normally unplug my amp and fx after use. If i plug into a surge potecror and turn the strip off, can you tell me if it would essentially be the same as unplugging it? Or should i unplug my amp from the strip after use?

Thanks!

Re: Unplugging amp same as turning off powerstrip

Flipping the switch on a power strip just opens the hot line in the circuit. Neutral and ground are still connected. The only thing you'd have to worry about is if lightning hits your house, it can kill your amp. But if lightning hits your house, your amp will be the last thing to worry about and insurance should cover it.

FWIW, I leave my amp plugged to the power strip and flip the switch when not in use.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    -Greg

Guitars:
    2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
    2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
    2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
    Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Ah. I see. Glad i asked! Learned something.

Thanks!

Comment

OP, They do make power strips that completely break all three conducters of a 110V or 208V line -if you want to push a button with ease to untether your amp electrically for safety
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
        X