Which is louder 100w amp into two speakers vs two 50w amps into two speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is louder 100w amp into two speakers vs two 50w amps into two speaker

Which is louder a 100w amp feeding two speakers or a pair of 50w amps into feeding their respective speakers?

Maybe to make things more equal have the 100W amp feed a pair of 1x12 cabs and the 50W amps would each feed their own 1x12 cabs. With this scenario all amps dimed, same model speakers, same model cabs, etc.

For example:

100W----->1x12 + 1x12

vs

50W------->1x12
    +
    50W------->1x12
    100w amp feeding two speakers
    10.00%
    two 50w amps feeding two speakers
    90.00%

Re: Which is louder 100w amp into two speakers vs two 50w amps into two speaker

2 50 Watt Amps -efficiency is not linear.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
      2 50 Watt Amps -efficiency is not linear.
      + If the amps separated or pointing in different directions they will distribute the sound wider giving the appearance of more volume.

Comment

Given equal speaker efficiencies and valid wattage ratings of the amps, NO Difference......Your poll should have included 'no difference', so I didn't vote.

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
          Given equal speaker efficiencies and valid wattage ratings of the amps, NO Difference......Your poll should have included 'no difference', so I didn't vote.
          My mistake.

Comment

+1
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I'm going with the two 50w amps. A 100w amp is only 3db louder than a 50w amp, and it takes a whole 10db increase for a perceived doubling of loudness.

Comment

^^^ I agree with this.

Two single rectifiers vs one dual,,,,,,,,no contest IMO (not like I've tried it, especially blasted lol)
                Last edited by dave74; 04-02-2019, 03:16 AM.

Comment

I tested both setups for quite deep and liked the two-amp setup much better as a single guitarist in the actual band: one half-stack to left and one to the right live. I just used this setup until my spine gave up.
                  Wackor
                  Řrdřg
                  NecroPolo
                  Diabolus in Musica
                  SIDrip Alliance
                  Book of Shadows
                  RKH

Comment

the operative word here is Valid ratings.

The transformer heat dissipation is the key -I stand by the 2 50 watt vote.
                    Last edited by NegativeEase; 04-02-2019, 05:26 PM.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Technically, no difference, if speakers and cabs are all the same.

Perceived difference is possible. You will lose headroom with the 2 50W heads. these heads will distort and compress more. Compression will make them perceivably louder. More frequencies at the highest level. The 100W will have less frequencies at max level, if driven with the same exact guitar.

in reality, for you to get louder than the other, you need to double the speakers or get more efficient speakers. To get twice as loud on the power side, you have to 10x the wattage.

Comment

Both configurations would be able to feed 50 watts max to each speaker.. In terms of loudness and combined clean headroom the pair of 50s would be quite similar to a single 100, differences would be in EQ shapes when distortion increases depending on the circuit design, a loud scooped sound is not useful. Being that said I would always choose a pair of 50s: If one fails still you can crank the one that is left and try somehow to finish the gig, also you can use the pair of 50s for stereo or wet/dry sounds.
                        Who took my guitar?

Comment

I would go for two different 50watt heads into two different cabs/ speakers to get some sweet tonal combinations going, but that is probably off topic.

Some amps get to the point where you’re turning the master volume up, but not actually getting any louder, so that might be an issue will all amps dimed?

Also, there’s perceived volume vs actual volume.

It would be great to try though!

Comment

Theoretically there’s no difference between the two setups. With two 50 watt amps, you’ve doubled the power making them equal to the 100 watt, and the speakers are producing the same dbA air pressure, so there should be no perceivable difference.

Comment

Working...
                            X