THD Hot Plate Bright & Deep Switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THD Hot Plate Bright & Deep Switches

1st a disclaimer: I knew this info, but somehow in all the mess of tweaking **** over the years, I forgot it.

Very important for tone considerations!

Okay, we all know (those Hotplate owners that is) the "BRIGHT" and "DEEP" switches on the front affect the tone when using the
    Hot Plate in a normal config (between amp & speaker). You hit "BRIGHT" (switch up), you get more treble... you hit "DEEP" (switch up), you get more bass.

("yeah, so what?")

Well, if you use the Hot Plate as I do, the reverse is true with the switches. (IIRC, the Hot Plate manual states the same if using the line out)

To be specific, I go for a "pseudo-reactive" setup like so:

guitar
    |
    amp
    | (amp speaker out jack)
    suhr line out "speaker thru" jack (in) -> suhr line out "speaker thru" jack (out) -> hot plate (-16dB or whatever instead of "load"; the "pseudo-reactive" part) -> speaker
    | (suhr line out "line out" jack)
    rest of my rig and DAW

It's "pseudo-reactive" and not purely resistive because here I am not using the Hot Plate as a dummy load. The amp is going through the Hot Plate to the speaker; there just happens to be a line out signal tapped. I typically set it real low (-16dB) so it's quiet.

Anyhoo, back to the main story:

I had done a tone test recently and was wondering why the overall tone sounded "flat". So I plugged my guitar in and flipped the switches up and down.

I had both switches "on" (up) instead of "off" (down). When I reversed, I had more bass and more treble.

End result: A lot more livelier tone. Previously, it was "flat" and 2D sounding.

Re: THD Hot Plate Bright & Deep Switches

I always preferred both switches off with my Hotplates.
    Craig

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
      1st a disclaimer: I knew this info, but somehow in all the mess of tweaking **** over the years, I forgot it.

Very important for tone considerations!

Okay, we all know (those Hotplate owners that is) the "BRIGHT" and "DEEP" switches on the front affect the tone when using the
      Hot Plate in a normal config (between amp & speaker). You hit "BRIGHT" (switch up), you get more treble... you hit "DEEP" (switch up), you get more bass.

("yeah, so what?")

Well, if you use the Hot Plate as I do, the reverse is true with the switches. (IIRC, the Hot Plate manual states the same if using the line out)

To be specific, I go for a "pseudo-reactive" setup like so:

guitar
      |
      amp
      | (amp speaker out jack)
      suhr line out "speaker thru" jack (in) -> suhr line out "speaker thru" jack (out) -> hot plate (-16dB or whatever instead of "load"; the "pseudo-reactive" part) -> speaker
      | (suhr line out "line out" jack)
      rest of my rig and DAW

It's "pseudo-reactive" and not purely resistive because here I am not using the Hot Plate as a dummy load. The amp is going through the Hot Plate to the speaker; there just happens to be a line out signal tapped. I typically set it real low (-16dB) so it's quiet.

Anyhoo, back to the main story:

I had done a tone test recently and was wondering why the overall tone sounded "flat". So I plugged my guitar in and flipped the switches up and down.

I had both switches "on" (up) instead of "off" (down). When I reversed, I had more bass and more treble.

End result: A lot more livelier tone. Previously, it was "flat" and 2D sounding.
      Interesting. I generally use mine with both switches off when attenuating slightly, and using as a full load box (no live sound) for recording through line out - so I guess I’ve been getting full treble/bass all the time while recording?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I run my Weber Mass 100 with 3db of treble boost. I’ve been doing it so long it’s part of ‘my’ tone.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
          Interesting. I generally use mine with both switches off when attenuating slightly, and using as a full load box (no live sound) for recording through line out - so I guess I’ve been getting full treble/bass all the time while recording?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Again, IIRC, the HotPlate manual states when using the Line Out, both switches off gives more bass & treble (reverse of normal operation).

Try flipping them on/off while playing through the line out.

Comment

Working...
          X