Mesa MarkIIB with 12x12 ext cab speaker options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa MarkIIB with 12x12 ext cab speaker options

I have a nice old Boogie MarkII B simul class combo with the matching 1x12 open back ext cab. Combo has the original EV and the cab has the original Black Shadow. I like the EV but sometimes I find it a bit sterile. I have at my disposal a V30 and a WGS G12C/s ( smooth cone) that I can use. Looking for a combination between the 4 speakers that will give me a nice clean tone with maybe a bit more of an organic sound. This is for mainly clean playing and some good distorted blues.
    Was thinking about moving the EV to the cab and the WGS to the combo but open to some suggestions that use any of the 4 speakers I have. Suggestions?

Thanks !

Re: Mesa MarkIIB with 12x12 ext cab speaker options

If it was me I think I would wind up with the V30 in the combo and the black shadow in the cab. Though would be silly to not try them all since you have them sitting there...
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Yeah I can for sure swap 'em around. Lately I find I have time for all the stuff I have to do in my life and time to play and less time to mess with gear so trying to see if there were some consensus can't miss picks for either. For many the EV in the combo is just that. The gear is like 37 years old and I'd like to limit how much I un-screw and screw stuff back in- just me I guess. I did try the WGS in the ext cab last night and I like it. For lack of a better description it's a smoother, smokey kind of sound. Maybe the V30 is headed into the combo.
      Thanks !!

Comment

V30 + C90 is a good solid mix
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I just peeked to see if you really got yourself a 12x12 cab Would be pretty badass.

G12H sounds great for both, clean and dirt. it's more versatile than most speakers in that matter. It can be overbearing with bright amp, but excess mids dialed out it really has perfect creamy crunch. It's pretty level in tone wise, many "boutique" style amps use it.

Marshallesque amps usually have lot of mids and highs which is why I think people consider it bright speaker.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I love the EVM!

If you had a Boogie 112 Thiele, I would use the EVM in the Thiele, and probably the C-90 in the combo. The V30 cannot handle the power of a Simul-Class amp by itself, though it would be fine in Class A mode.

I use my Mark IIIs and Mark IV with EVM speakers in both combo and Thiele. My DC-3 combo uses a V30, and pairs well with the EVM Thiele; but so does my Mark V:35 combo with a C90. In general, though I think I prefer the V30 over the C90, and I'm thinking about swapping the V:35's C90 for a V30...I need to do some testing.

But seeing as how your cab is open back, I would probably use the V30 in the combo, with the understanding that the amp can't be cranked really loud, and then the C90 in the extension cab.

But with both the combo and the cab being open back designs, it doesn't really matter which speaker goes where.

You should know, if you get a hankering to close the back of your cab, Mesa does not recommend the C90 in a closed back cab...only ported (Thiele), or open back cabs.

Good luck!

Bill
            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Thanks and that was a major typo. A 12x12 would be a heavy sob !!
              I usually run mine in 15 watt class A but for sure would make sure no speaker is pushed beyond it's limits. The V30 is rated at 60 watts so if I am not mistaken it would be okay at the full 75 watts as long as I used the extension cab and another at least 60 watt speaker, correct? Although I am not stuck on aesthetics, I would say if I could ever find a Thiele cab in blonde tolex to mach the combo I'd get it and throw the EV in. I have also considered getting a 1x12 cab with an oval back, but the gear budget is close to tapped out for a while ( unless I find said blonde Theile then I'd find a way)
              Thanks!!

By the way I did just get a Stagecraft Blackjack Studio 1x12 for my DSL40CR ( why the budget is tapped) and once I get a speaker in that will do a NCD on it. So far I can say the cab is immaculately built and the customer support from Stagecraft has been really, really good.

Comment

Working...
              X