2 heads, one cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 heads, one cab

Question. IÂ’ve never done this before, so wanna make sure IÂ’m ok..
    I brought my PV ultra plus Home. Normally I use my Carvin 4x12 for that head. No room for the cab so making due. Ok, my spawn 4x12 has 2 inputs ( I think all my cabs do) one of them on the splawn has the Neutric locking jack, the other does not. I left my spawn head plugged into that jack and plugged my PV head into the other jack. Is it ok to plug 2 heads into one cab? Assume so as they put two jacks on it. Next, the cab is rated 16 ohms.. set both heads at 16 ohms?? Lastly, can one actually PLAY both heads thru same amp at same time??
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: 2 heads, one cab

If it's a stereo 4x12 you can run it with 2 amps driving 2x12's each. Just make sure the selector switch is set correctly. A 16ohm cab would indicate that it's 4 16 ohm speakers wired series/parallel. So for stereo operation you'd want the amps set to 8 ohms. Yes you can run two amps at the same time...the stereo cab is effectively two 2x12's in one box. But NEVER and run two amps into the same set of speakers...that would be bad.

Comment

No, it’s not a stereo cab. Do not connect both heads. You will damage both heads.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        No, it’s not a stereo cab. Do not connect both heads. You will damage both heads.
        Yeah, if it isn’t stereo the results won’t be pretty! I suppose you could wire the cabinet up as 2 separate 2x12 cabs in one box??? I have a buddy who does something similar with a 2x12. It is actually wired up as two separate 8 ohm 1x12’s so it can have two smaller recording heads running through the one mic’d cabinet in his isolation booth. I mean he seems to enjoy the results so I don’t see why this couldn’t be scaled up to a 4X12 situation?
        I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

should be one jack in
          the other jack is thru to the next cab

you can rewire
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yes, it can be rewired to stereo, allowing two heads to be used. As is it’s a parallel pass through for additional cabs.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Just spend the 30 seconds it takes to unplug one head then plug the other one in.
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                Just spend the 30 seconds it takes to unplug one head then plug the other one in.
                prolly would/should just do this as the other posts are confusing me. First of all for clarification. Im Not playing thru both heads into same cab at same time.... I just have both heads plugged in (on head into each input) to same cab. cab is 16 ohm and I have both heads set on 16 ohm. I guess for safety sake, Ill either plug one or the other, or plug the PV into my Avatar 2x12. I surely dont want to fork something up. Just trying to figure why the cab has two inputs then....??
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

You’d be trying to force speaker level back through the other amp’s output transformer. If you didn’t damage anything you’d at least have a really odd load on the active amp (which could then damage something)

As stated above, the second jack can be used either for a choice of nuitrik or standard jack or to add an additional cab in parallel if your amp has only one output. (If you’ve got one 4 ohm, one 8 ohm and one 16 ohm output, you can go from the 8 ohm output to the 16 ohm cab jack, from the second cab jack to the next 16 ohm cab)

By the way if I’m using multiple heads on one cab, I only run one IEC cable to that area. That way I have to swap both power and speaker cables when I switch heads. There’s no risk of powering up the disconnected head without a load.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Just buy another 4x12 and call it a day!

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                      prolly would/should just do this as the other posts are confusing me.
                      Not probably, definitely. Best way I can put it is, if the jacks are wired together, the amp that is on sees the other amp's output transformer as another cab, just turning an amp off doesn't disconnect it. The amp that is off is getting an electrical enema and that makes the transformers very angry, and they often don't get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                        prolly would/should just do this as the other posts are confusing me. First of all for clarification. Im Not playing thru both heads into same cab at same time.... I just have both heads plugged in (on head into each input) to same cab. cab is 16 ohm and I have both heads set on 16 ohm. I guess for safety sake, Ill either plug one or the other, or plug the PV into my Avatar 2x12. I surely dont want to fork something up. Just trying to figure why the cab has two inputs then....??
                        Most 4x12s I've owned have two inputs so you can stack them. I have two 16ohm 4x12s and each has two parallel inputs. That means I can plug one head into the first cab, then plug that first cab into the second one to provide an 8ohm total load.

Your situation is probably not hurting anything, but I wouldn't risk it. Just unplug the one you're done with and switch to the other one.

ProTip: most Marshall 4x12s from the last few years can be run in mono at 16ohms or stereo at 8ohms per side. Maybe grab one of those if you want an affordable yet quality 4x12 that can handle two heads at once.
                        Last edited by Empty Pockets; 04-10-2019, 10:40 PM.
                        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          Not probably, definitely. Best way I can put it is, if the jacks are wired together, the amp that is on sees the other amp's output transformer as another cab, just turning an amp off doesn't disconnect it. The amp that is off is getting an electrical enema and that makes the transformers very angry, and they often don't get over it.
                          It tends to let the smoke out of the wire.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Never let the smoke out. Smoke makes everything electric work. If it leeks out...bad bad bad bad.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
                              Never let the smoke out. Smoke makes everything electric work. If it leeks out...bad bad bad bad.
                              That's what we learned in college.

Comment

Working...
                              X