Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tube Suggestions for Silver Jubilee

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
    Actually Jubes are plate follower instead of cathode follower. The spiral filament tubes should be okay. He could go with that Mullard set to make it easy.
    My 2555 killed a horde of EHXs in V2 before I heard about that and stopped using them. They were the newer post '08 versions, so maybe they just aren't built to the same standards they used to be. I'd previously used them in all three positions from 2001-2007 without issues, so it's hard to say for sure what the culprit was.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

My Jubilee killed a bunch EHXs and Tung Sols in V1. When I recapped it the killing stopped. This indicates that the tube killing was caused by the one cathode cap which is electrolytic had started going bad. However, I'm not sure there's an cathode cap on V2. Do you use anything in the loop?

Comment

My Jubilee killed a bunch EHXs and Tung Sols in V1. When I recapped it the killing stopped. This indicates that the tube killing was caused by the one cathode cap which is electrolytic had started going bad. However, I'm not sure there's an cathode cap on V2. Do you use anything in the loop?
        I don't use the loop as I don't have a rack processor and find that it sounds pretty bad with stomp boxes. I was having noise and volume fluctuation issues that I couldn't figure out in early 2017, so I had Savage Audio check it out. He found several failed tubes but said that the caps still looked OK. I haven't used EHXs in either of my Jubilees since. The failed tubes were recently replaced and probably had less than 50 hours of play time on them.
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Hmmmm.. eating spiral filament tubes in v2 and the loop not sounding good, something might be amiss associated with v2.

Comment

I will probably use an mxr 10 band, analog chorus and analog delay through the loop...

I haven't tried it though. I'm still playing it straight up with no pedals. My older rig I use an EQ and a bunch of mod fx through the loop.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

Comment

Hmmmm.. eating spiral filament tubes in v2 and the loop not sounding good, something might be amiss associated with v2.
              Originally posted by fretburner View Post
              I will probably use an mxr 10 band, analog chorus and analog delay through the loop...

I haven't tried it though. I'm still playing it straight up with no pedals. My older rig I use an EQ and a bunch of mod fx through the loop.

I should've clarified in my previous post that I don't care for stomp boxes in the loop of my 2555 because it's un-buffered and the level runs pretty hot. I've used an EQ there in the past and that sounded fine, but things like modulation, reverb, and delay were hit and miss. Some of the pedals sounded OK, while others would obviously clip and sound pretty awful. I never had a problem with rack processors, but I always ran them at line level.

Comment

Actually Jubes are plate follower instead of cathode follower. The spiral filament tubes should be okay. He could go with that Mullard set to make it easy.
                Just wanted to further clarify that I've had zero additional problems since the last couple failed EHXs were replaced. Prior to that I had 3 or 4 12AX7s fail over the course of roughly 2 years. At the time I just assumed that I had bought a batch of bad tubes, or maybe the post-2008 EHXs were somehow less durable than the older ones. If I have any more issues I'll have my tech check the cathode cap(s).

Comment

It seems like the safer choice is to go all Mullard reissues

Comment

Just to put this out there.
                    When retubing am amp it is not necessary to replace the preamp tubes as well.
                    Preamp tubes can and do last a long, long time. Decades, even. That is why NOS tubes are still in demand (and of course, their tonal properties). They are not subjected to the heat that power tubes are.
                    A typical gigging player should replace power tubes about once a year or so (Give or take), IMO.
                    I only replace preamp tubes when one fails or if I am looking to change something tonally.
                    Of course there’s no harm in changing them while changing power tubes, if that’s the preference.
                    YMMV

Comment

i agree with the exception of the pi tube, that might be the hardest working tube in the amp

Comment

Correct...I forgot that one!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                          Correct...I forgot that one!!
                          The PI is a part of the power-amp, not the pre-amp, despite being a little bottle, so you were right.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                            Just to put this out there.
                            When retubing am amp it is not necessary to replace the preamp tubes as well.
                            Preamp tubes can and do last a long, long time. Decades, even. That is why NOS tubes are still in demand (and of course, their tonal properties). They are not subjected to the heat that power tubes are.
                            A typical gigging player should replace power tubes about once a year or so (Give or take), IMO.
                            I only replace preamp tubes when one fails or if I am looking to change something tonally.
                            Of course there’s no harm in changing them while changing power tubes, if that’s the preference.
                            YMMV
                            My main motivation is to be able to hear the amp as it was intended to sound. Later on, I can tweak the sound via the tubes or some other.

I am also still eyeing a 1936 cab with v30s.

My cab right now is a 412 with veteran 30s and emi legends in an X pattern. I'm not sure what speakers are on those 80s silver jubilees, but I'm fixed on a 1936 with v30s.

Comment

I'm not sure what speakers are on those 80s silver jubilees, but I'm fixed on a 1936 with v30s.

All the combo's came with the Marshall Vintage (Marshall's proprietary version of the Vintage 30). Cabs could come with them too, but also some silver cabs had G12T75s and G12M70s. In my opinion, Jubilees sound best through the Marshall Vintages. Better than through M or H Greenbacks, G12-65s, or G12T75s. It's the match in this case.

Comment

My main motivation is to be able to hear the amp as it was intended to sound. Later on, I can tweak the sound via the tubes or some other.
                                They came originally with RFT ECC83s and Siemens EL34s.

Comment

Working...
                                X