Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tube Suggestions for Silver Jubilee

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
    All the combo's came with the Marshall Vintage (Marshall's proprietary version of the Vintage 30). Cabs could come with them too, but also some silver cabs had G12T75s and G12M70s. In my opinion, Jubilees sound best through the Marshall Vintages. Better than through M or H Greenbacks, G12-65s, or G12T75s. It's the match in this case.
    I've never seen a silver cab loaded with M70s; AFAIK they weren't available from Marshall after 1986. Unfortunately most of the original Jubilee cabs I've seen were loaded with G12T75s which just aren't a good match for the amp IMO.

I've played my Jubilees through G12Ms, G12Hs, G12-65s, G12T75s, Vintage 30s, and a ton of other stuff. Of those my favorites were G12Hs and Vintage 30s, while G12Ms and G12-65s sounded decent but weren't my thing. OTOH my brother mostly plays Strats and likes a softer top end; his first choice was G12Ms closely followed by G12-65s. Honestly the only speaker out of that group that I didn't like was the T75, but I'm hard pressed to find anything I like them for.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

They came originally with RFT ECC83s and Siemens EL34s.

Fun fact, the Siemens branded EL34's were actually made by RFT.

You could retube that amp with NOS glass for about 300 to 320 bucks. Considering how much longer they last would be worth it.
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

They came originally with RFT ECC83s and Siemens EL34s.
        Sounds expensive. I'd only spend as much as the $105 for 3x 12ax7 and 2x EL34 Mullard Reissues.

I haven't been gigging to justify that much cash for tubes

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
          Fun fact, the Siemens branded EL34's were actually made by RFT.

You could retube that amp with NOS glass for about 300 to 320 bucks. Considering how much longer they last would be worth it.
          Too much money for me.

I'm down to 3 reasonably priced choices: Mullard reissues, TAD and EH. Maybe Tung Sols. Leaning towards Mullards. Unless the others would be closer to the RFT/Siemens?

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

Comment

You still haven’t ordered tubes for this thing?
            Whadda ya waiting for?
            The only opinion that matters is yours. You have to make a decision and roll with it.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
              . Honestly the only speaker out of that group that I didn't like was the T75, but I'm hard pressed to find anything I like them for.
              I agree. I have tried to like them. And I have those mythical 80s 75s.

Comment

Working...
              X