• Skater
    replied
    Re: Looking for recommemdations for a new speaker

Thanks for all the input guys!

Leave a comment:

• Van Noord
    replied

IMO, it's going to be real hard going from the V30 to another type of speaker, especially if you still really like the V30, and are not changing your playing style or genre.

Most all other choices will either sound or feel too soft, too smooth or too polite. That's just the nature of the V30 beast and it's hold on a longtime user.

Not saying it can't be done, but just be prepared for it.

Leave a comment:

• SZjammin83
    replied

I would highly recommend having a 'look-see' at the Eminence website. It's easy to navigate, and they have all the info you could possibly want to know about their speakers right there for you to see. They've even got a similar deal to the Seymour Duncan site's 'Pickup Selector', only its Eminence speakers in this case. You basically let it know the specifics on what you're lookin for in a speaker, and POW!! You've got a nice list of speaker options that is geared toward your needs. You'd really be surprised at their massive selection of speakers. It kinda blew me away the 1st time I went through n looked at em all! I had no idea they made SO many different speakers. Anyway, I just bought 4 of their speakers not too long ago now (1 pair of SwampThangs12's & 1 pair of TexasHeat 12's) and loaded them into a 412 cab in an 'x' pattern, and I have to say, I'm happier than a fly on a POS with my cab! I got the cab to replace the speakers in it with my new Eminence speakers and then hook it up to my 6505+ 120watt head. This cab can handle EVERY BIT of the power you could ever want to push through it and then some. Between my new guitar n SD Invaders, and my 6505+, and my ME-80 which I run through the FX loop just to use its modulation effects... I just feel like I couldnt be any more pleased with my rig n my guitar n other gear.

Definitely check em out though, they've got great products

Leave a comment:

• Lake Placid Blues
    replied

D120 has an alnico magnet and E120 has a ceramic magnet. K120 has a kapton voice coil former I think, to handle like 300 watts. Dickey Betts used the D120 and it will be the one you want. The survivors are, however, rare and expensive. They list on Reverb for over $400 each. D120F means it was a D120 for Fender amps. . Original D120s are 60 watts power handling max. Additionally, they are very loud with sensitivity of 104 db with 1 watt input at one meter distance. As a comparison a Vintage 30 is 100 db and G12M Creamback is 97 db.

The Weber California is a JBL clone, but uses a ceramic magnet, which means it is really a E120 clone. The problem here is the weight. E120s weigh a ton. The same problem applies to EVs.

The Vintage 30 was originally designed to be a ceramic magnet version of an alnico Celestion. They did this because alnico magnets were very expensive at the time. Now there are real alnico alternatives available. The alnico Creamback from Celestion would probably be a current alternative that would sound similar but clearer, plus it handles 90 watts. The Alnico Gold handles 50 watts, and the Alnico Blue is under rated at only 15 watts.

But really a thoroughly broke in Vintage 30, is hard to beat for the price.

Leave a comment:

• Skater
    replied

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
    If you want more clarity than a V30, you don't want Greenbacks or equivalent. Greenbacks, both the H and the M, have more grit than a V30. For more clarity than a V30 you may need to go to an EV or a JBL 120 type speaker.

The Celestion A type might be a consideration, as is the Classic Lead 80 being clearer American voiced speakers.

Among Celestion British voiced ceramic alternatives; the G12-65 Heritage or equivalent could be another possibility. It however, is the definition of warm but not fuzzy, rather than bright and clear.

If you like and are used to broke in V30s, you will find the G12T75 very one dimensional.
    So I'm looking into the JBL 120, an I notice there's a few different ones, D, K, L & E which one would be most close to a v30 but clearer?

Leave a comment:

• Rich_S
    replied

Celestion Classic Lead 80. Tight, clean speaker.

I think Warehouse makes a sound-alike for less money.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    Looking for recommemdations for a new speaker

Originally posted by SkyMonkey View Post
    I just put a G12 Century Vintage in my DSL40CR. This is supposed to be the Neo magnet version of a V30, but with the mids dialled down a bit. Weighs 3 Kg less than the V30 too. I am still getting used to it and breaking it in slowly, but so far I can recommend this speaker and it works really well with the DSL. On the downside, it is a discontinued line. So there are less of them about to snap up new, in the UK at any rate. There are a few demos on YT but they do not really do it justice.
    I have a question for you about the amp....hopefully I don’t derail the topic. If you’d rather pm me feel free, so the thread stays on topic.
    My friend has the dsl40c. It can tend to be flubby and farty in the low end. Have you found a good way to remedy this? Is the speaker swap an attempt?
    I have been able to dial it out for the most part but I’d like for the amp to be more usable over the entire range of tone controls.

Leave a comment:

• SkyMonkey
    replied

I just put a G12 Century Vintage in my DSL40CR. This is supposed to be the Neo magnet version of a V30, but with the mids dialled down a bit. Weighs 3 Kg less than the V30 too. I am still getting used to it and breaking it in slowly, but so far I can recommend this speaker and it works really well with the DSL. On the downside, it is a discontinued line. So there are less of them about to snap up new, in the UK at any rate. There are a few demos on YT but they do not really do it justice.

Leave a comment:

• Skater
    replied

Thank you, I'll be doin research on em. ��

Leave a comment:

• Skater
    replied

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    one question -do you use a lot of pedals and pedal overdrive or more amp gain?
    No, I don't use any pedals, I like the red channel that the DSL puts out, i tried a few overdrive pedals. Boss sd1, mosky plexi. I just like to keep my rig simple, it's preference really.

Leave a comment:

• Lake Placid Blues
    replied

If you want more clarity than a V30, you don't want Greenbacks or equivalent. Greenbacks, both the H and the M, have more grit than a V30. For more clarity than a V30 you may need to go to an EV or a JBL 120 type speaker.

The Celestion A type might be a consideration, as is the Classic Lead 80 being clearer American voiced speakers.

Among Celestion British voiced ceramic alternatives; the G12-65 Heritage or equivalent could be another possibility. It however, is the definition of warm but not fuzzy, rather than bright and clear.

If you like and are used to broke in V30s, you will find the G12T75 very one dimensional.

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied

one question -do you use a lot of pedals and pedal overdrive or more amp gain?

Leave a comment:

• Skater
    started a topic Looking for recommemdations for a new speaker

Looking for recommemdations for a new speaker

Hello everyone,

So I'm happy with my setup that I have now, 15' Dsl40 combo w/ V30 speaker. I've been using V30's for over 12 years now, I like what it has to offer.

I might be looking into experimenting other speakers. Frankly, I've used nothing but V30's so I'm willing to read what you all have to say

I play alot of old punk stuff. Late 80's stuff, think Gang Green, Bad Religion, Black Flag and some Ramones, as well as my own work. If I were to pin-point the 1 thing the V30 offers that makes me wish it had, it would have to be (to my ears) clarity, in a more define clear way.

My setup is mainly a 25.5 scale Super Strat w/ a ceramic Duncan TB-6.

Not trying to nag or put the V30 down because I love mine. Just looking for something similar that may have a bit more clarity while retaining that "Hot British" sound.

Thanks guys.

Oh, please don't offer any type of pedal suggestions, I don't use any thanks guys!Click image for larger version

Name:	20190406_123356.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	5851242
    Last edited by Skater; 04-18-2019, 10:08 AM.
Working...
X