Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp opinions?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on a couple of amps I'm looking at?

I'm considering trading my Kemper (bad idea?) and I've had a couple of offers but am not sure which would give the most value and sound like something I'm looking for. Sure, it's subjective to each individual but if anyone has played any of them, I'd love a little input. I have no way to play any of the offered amps, even the Dual Rec. I play everything from Iron Maiden to the Allman Brothers and then over to Killswitch Engage, Pantera, Megadeth, Cannibal Corpse, Death, and on. I think I have the more 'rock' and traditional stuff covered with a Marshall JCM800 and a Peavey VTM. I also have a 5150, 5150 II and 5150 III that I use for metal (of course), but they're similar enough that I think I could branch out pretty easily to something different.

Think I'd get anything from any of these options that I don't have covered already?

Diezel Herbert
    Diezel Einstein
    ENGL e636 Extreme Aggression
    Mesa Dual Rec (3 channel)

Again, I understand that we all like different things, only looking for opinions from those who have tried any of this stuff.

Thanks everyone! And thanks to SD for the Slash Alnico II set. Haha.

Re: Amp opinions?

I’d say keep the Kemper (and possibly trade one of the 5150s?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I would think you can cover any tone you’d want with what you already have, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
        I would think you can cover any tone you’d want with what you already have, no?
        +1

And if the Kemper isn't enough, for the sort of money a Diezel demands in the US (or a Mesa in the EU) you could easily get an AxeFx to cover those tones where the Kemper isn't working for you.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

+2
          looks like ya got it covered...maybe a Martin D-18???every player needs an acoustic for sanity check occasionally...

Comment

Kemper is the future.
            Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Maybe I needed to know I wasn't missing anything? I just ALWAYS hear about the Mesa and how they have that desirable sag so figured I'd ask around. Thanks everyone for the input, it's very much appreciated.

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
              +1

And if the Kemper isn't enough, for the sort of money a Diezel demands in the US (or a Mesa in the EU) you could easily get an AxeFx to cover those tones where the Kemper isn't working for you.
              I was thinking that as well but the new Axe III's are pretty expensive right now. I wouldn't mind just running that with my Kemper and having actual room back.

Originally posted by justFred View Post
              +2
              looks like ya got it covered...maybe a Martin D-18???every player needs an acoustic for sanity check occasionally...
              You're absolutely right! I don't have an acoustic that cost more than $350. I played a few recently and, I guess maybe because I'm used to very low end acoustics, actually preferred a $1500 Taylor 224k to one that was twice that. But I am partial to Gibsons, guess I just came up seeing them and wanting one, got a Marshall for that very reason at first.

So, not to derail my own thread I guess but, anyone have anything to say about the latest Gibsons? Is Martin or Taylor that much better, in your opinion?

Comment

Why do you want to get rid of the Kemper?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezrocks View Post
                  Why do you want to get rid of the Kemper?

Well, really, I guess I don't. I grew up with tubes, more often low end solid state's, like most, and I think I get caught up in reading too much and making an amp bucket list that's probably unnecessary. Might be a lot in my head, the Kemper sounds fantastic.

I will say that I think I need to try a good frfr with it though, to mix with the cabs I've been using, so I can better hear more tonal variety.

Has anyone tried the Friedman, Laney or headrush cabs they make for this? I was thinking about some Yamaha monitors (dxr) but I think they're too much for home right now probably.

Comment

Check out this one:

https://www.qsc.com/live-sound/produ...iestm-new/k82/

It's not a textbook geetar FRFR but an indusrty-grade, pretty flexible onstage speaker instead. Some weeks ago I tried it back on tour. I use an Alto wedge that is almost identical to the Headrush. It seemed to be a good idea to test this QSC as it's half the size and my spine wants to consider this, I'm always open for a lighter solution. I tried this during sound check with my line gear and and was blown away, it was so ridiculously effective that I kept using it on the gig. It totally makes sense onstage.

On the topic:

- keep the Kemper
                    - sell two Peaveys, keep just the fav one
                    - get an Engl
                    - get a Mesa
                    Last edited by NecroPolo; 04-25-2019, 08:49 AM. Reason: typos
                    Wackor
                    Ørdøg
                    NecroPolo
                    Diabolus in Musica
                    SIDrip Alliance
                    Book of Shadows
                    RKH

Comment

used acoustics sound better...listen to a new Taylor or whatever and an older one...that was what I was told some years ago...tried it with my D-18 and the ones with some years on them sounded better for some reason that is beyond my understanding....

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
                        Check out this one:

https://www.qsc.com/live-sound/produ...iestm-new/k82/

It's not a textbook geetar FRFR but an indusrty-grade, pretty flexible onstage speaker instead. Some weeks ago I tried it back on tour. I use an Alto wedge that is almost identical to the Headrush. It seemed to be a good idea to test this QSC as it's half the size and my spine wants to consider this, I'm always open for a lighter solution. I tried this during sound check with my line gear and and was blown away, it was so ridiculously effective that I kept using it on the gig. It totally makes sense onstage.

On the topic:

- keep the Kemper
                        - sell two Peaveys, keep just the fav one
                        - get an Engl
                        - get a Mesa
                        I had been looking at the 12.2 that's in that line (I believe). Is the 8 pretty loud? That's one of the things I've had a hard time really figuring out from videos, it's hard to get a real perspective. I play at home right now but I'd like a good speaker that I can take with me when I'm playing out again soon, even for just a simple acoustic/vocal show.

I want a Mesa and ENGL both. I play heavy stuff from the 80's to modern sounding (though I don't play modern music exactly, I do like the sound of some of it).All these years I've kept buying the same type and, while it's what I really like the sound of, it hasn't offered me much 'different' to play with.

Originally posted by justFred View Post
                        used acoustics sound better...listen to a new Taylor or whatever and an older one...that was what I was told some years ago...tried it with my D-18 and the ones with some years on them sounded better for some reason that is beyond my understanding....
                        Ha, that's cool. I guess the wood settles or whatever? Changes? I'm not sure what to call it but I can tell even in the cheap ones I've used that the tone changes over time.

Comment

For FRFR with a modeler they are better options than QSC (and other PA speakers). PA powered speakers are designed to project sound over the head of the crowd at maybe up to 40', not what you are used with a guitar cab. You can like it and get it used to (I have an EV ZLX12P that I use to test my patches), but I will suggest you look at Atomic CLR, XTones, Matrix and Accugroove. Tech21 just release a new power engine (Deuce Deluxe) dedicated for guitar/bass modelers and Celestion is launching a new speaker also dedicated to guitar modelers (should be able to put in a regular guitar cab).
                          So keep your Marshall, Peavey VTM and one 5150 and sell two others to finance a good FRFR dedicated to modelers. My choice would be an Accugroove Latte.

Comment

If you just need speakers for home use with the Kemper, try studio monitors. A PA setup is overkill. Bonus with the studio monitors: now you have studio monitors for home recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Semetery View Post
                              I was thinking that as well but the new Axe III's are pretty expensive right now. I wouldn't mind just running that with my Kemper and having actual room back.
                              They are, but they're not any more expensive than a Diezel in the US or a Mesa in the EU. You could always sell a redundant amp or two to help finance it, or opt for a used Axe II and save a bundle.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                              X