Amp opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amp opinions?

I have been looking pretty hard at some studio monitors, thinking of how they'd work for many different things. Good suggestion. Do you think the Kemper will sound thin or small if I got something like the Yamaha HS8 set? With the subwoofer?

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
    They are, but they're not any more expensive than a Diezel in the US or a Mesa in the EU. You could always sell a redundant amp or two to help finance it, or opt for a used Axe II and save a bundle.
    Can't argue with that logic. I see the III is also on a waiting list. I haven't read anything about the differences from the II to III, might be a good time though I guess. I'd be really willing to let go of my 5152 if not for it being Cameron modded. It has a stronghold on me and I prefer the original for the heavy deep end it has, I like the option of boomy in an amp. Don't record with it, of course, but I like it in the room.

Speaking of liking a really chugging, boomy, bassy bottom on an amp, what are some good amps for that? I had a Peavey Ultra that had a lot of butt on it but the 5153 doesn't. It's a great, even dare I say nearly perfect, amount with resonance up, but I like it to feel the thunder rumble through my Orange 4x12's since my current situation lacks us a bass player. Haha. I'll cut all that down once we fill that position. Anyone know how the low is on the Randall Satan or EVH Stealth? I don't expect a lot on the Stealth. I was looking in to Mesa, ENGL, Diezel and the Ubershall for that exact thing though I may just look for those amps in profile form.
    Last edited by Semetery; 04-26-2019, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Just curious, what made you get the Kemper if it's not copping all those other tones?
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Semetery View Post
        I have been looking pretty hard at some studio monitors, thinking of how they'd work for many different things. Good suggestion. Do you think the Kemper will sound thin or small if I got something like the Yamaha HS8 set? With the subwoofer?
        Short answer: No.

They probably wouldn't be great for monitoring at a gig, but they're not really designed for that. They'd be great for practice or recording, and they may even be too much depending on the size of the room you're playing in. An 8" speaker sounds small for guitar, but that's not the right way to approach studio monitors or PA speakers. Yamaha HS8s are surprisingly loud and have a lot more low end than you'd expect. I seriously doubt you'd need the sub for guitar; it's more useful for bass and kick drum while mixing.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
          Just curious, what made you get the Kemper if it's not copping all those other tones?
          I couldn't try it first, there isn't a shop anywhere near me that has one. I still would've, just later, when I was playing live and recording again.

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
          Short answer: No.

They probably wouldn't be great for monitoring at a gig, but they're not really designed for that. They'd be great for practice or recording, and they may even be too much depending on the size of the room you're playing in. An 8" speaker sounds small for guitar, but that's not the right way to approach studio monitors or PA speakers. Yamaha HS8s are surprisingly loud and have a lot more low end than you'd expect. I seriously doubt you'd need the sub for guitar; it's more useful for bass and kick drum while mixing.
          I do think in terms of cabs and typical guitar speakers, still working on that. I think I'll try the HS8's then, I wish I could try them in person too but I couldn't find them in store at the Guitar Center last time I went.

Contrary to what considering trading it away might seem like, it is all they say it is, just confused to whether it's what I want right now. I like to crank an amp through a cab and twist knobs and find what I like and then try to find something else for a while. With the Kemper, most of the work is done for you (the beauty of it, the convenience, a wonderful purpose) and you're flipping other people's settings to find out what you agree with and then making what tweaks you can/want. Or you profile your own, which I'm thinking I might just do in this case. There are a ton of fantastic profiles out there, free or affordable, but they don't replace the amp-head experience for me. Whether that's worth the money for more amps or saving money for other things I guess is up to each owner.

I think I'll get monitors and see how that goes. I was just looking for opinions and they've been good ones. There are a lot of posts on the Kemper forums talking this same stuff about not meshing with it at first or it not replacing heads for some, I wanted some different perspective here.

Comment

Originally posted by Semetery View Post
            Contrary to what considering trading it away might seem like, it is all they say it is, just confused to whether it's what I want right now. I like to crank an amp through a cab and twist knobs and find what I like and then try to find something else for a while. With the Kemper, most of the work is done for you (the beauty of it, the convenience, a wonderful purpose) and you're flipping other people's settings to find out what you agree with and then making what tweaks you can/want. Or you profile your own, which I'm thinking I might just do in this case. There are a ton of fantastic profiles out there, free or affordable, but they don't replace the amp-head experience for me. Whether that's worth the money for more amps or saving money for other things I guess is up to each owner.
            For the way that you want to use it, an AxeFx would be a much better fit than a Kemper. Instead of having a snapshot that you can adjust, an Axe is essentially a digital version of an amp that you can tweak just like the real thing. If you want to go down the rabbit hole you can also do things like change tone stack values and output transformers.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
              For FRFR with a modeler they are better options than QSC (and other PA speakers). PA powered speakers are designed to project sound over the head of the crowd at maybe up to 40', not what you are used with a guitar cab.
              Speakers are basically membranes that move air. The projection is up to placement, direction, room acoustics and the like.

I run the full band mix with a little eq / volume empashize on my guitar signal through my wedge. I play in a band. I want to hear them, too. So, for onstage use, what would be more efficient than a ridiculously powerful unit that was designed tilt, aiming my ears?

On a practical side note, if you strip the hype and "for modellers" labels down the guitar FRFRs, you get a PA / wedge speaker with a tiny little more emphasis on mids and upper lows and cut on highs and subs, maybe a little compression. Why is it practical to spend twice as much money on something like that with around 200W power if there is a cheaper, smaller option with 2000W power that does almost the same thing and comes with flexible tuning, designed to cut through?
              Wackor
              Ørdøg
              NecroPolo
              Diabolus in Musica
              SIDrip Alliance
              Book of Shadows
              RKH

Comment

Working...
              X