Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for amp upgrade opinion, hard rock band

Originally posted by Silas2342 View Post
    note clarity for my lead parts really lacks.
    Have you tried using an EQ pedal to shape your tone for solos?

Comment

The BBE Sonic Maxiimizer is the culprit. It takes away all the mids and note clarity. I have a 482i which I haven't used since I bought my EQ 4 years ago.

It's essentially a 2-band EQ that boosts the bass and removes all the mids. It's total junk really.

Comment

As was stated above, ditch the sonic maximizer, reduce your gain, and crank the mids. Maybe check out some good distortion pedals, balance the gain from that with your amp, and I bet you can get a kickass tone.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I don't even know why the Sonic Maximizer still exists to thsi day. It's only good until you have an EQ. Then you'll realize how much a sonic garbage you've been creating with that thing.

What I do is I keep the EQ on my amp at zero (12 o clock), and tweak my sound with the EQ and the distortion pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
            I don't even know why the Sonic Maximizer still exists to thsi day. It's only good until you have an EQ. Then you'll realize how much a sonic garbage you've been creating with that thing.

What I do is I keep the EQ on my amp at zero (12 o clock), and tweak my sound with the EQ and the distortion pedal.
            I tried two different Sonic Maximizers about 15 years ago, first a 482 and then a 362. I found myself turning them farther and farther down until I realized that they sounded best in bypass. Sold both and never looked back.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas2342 View Post
              Ok sweet... Yea I remember the XXX... Ive heard some good demos of those.
              I have a 3120(my avatar photo) which is a newer version of the XXX. It's a very versatile amp that can be had for a good price. I use low gain pre-amp tubes in mine which gives the crunch channel a nice hard rock feel. The clean channel is also great to have, something the 5150 won't give you.

Comment

Working...
              X