X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kemper - what's the point?

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    My money is on "Ace has been trolling the entire time."

Either that, or he's become a member of the Obstinate Old Man club.
    That can be said of a lot of Ace's threads, stirring the pot is sport to him, because he is an OOM.

Comment

Well, since the issue has been brought up. Not Trolling, not stodgy old geezer, just devil's advocating and counter arguing to see where it takes us. It took us 10 pages!

I wanted to generate some Kemper discussion just to see what the world thought. This thread delivered!

First - I know what a Kemper is. How can you NOT?!?!?! Seriously.
      And I have played one on more a few occasions for more than 5 minutes.

I just wanted to see what all people thought of it. As with ANY latest / greatest cat's meow piece of gear - I'm skeptical. And the Tube Tone snobs did not disappoint. While I personally thing a decent mid grade circa 2010 Boss modeling floorboard would fool most of those fools if set judiciously, I also know that the Kemper is apparently pretty damn good, and that stuff gets better all the time with technology.

And if you need 100 amps and cab combos for the studio? It's a no-brainer. For a wedding gig mega-range cover band? I guess, but again, the live sound in that bar/club whatever is more dependent on the sound guy, PA and room than any gear you could bring. Again - YMMV. Like I said, seen them a half dozen times and NEVER impressed one bit.

I still think it is even better for true experimentation a la stuff Dave would do with it. But that does not seem to be who it attracts.

Jury still out on the cloning. It does not appear that any of us have done it.

Good discussion.

And XXL, the difference between me and you is that I act like one sometimes on purpose...and when I do, it apparently generates epic and interesting discussion
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        Not Trolling, not stodgy old geezer, just devil's advocating and counter arguing to see where it takes us.

First - I know what a Kemper is. How can you NOT?!?!?! Seriously.
        And I have played one on more a few occasions for more than 5 minutes.
        Previously on "Vinnie Pees On Our Leg And Tells Us It's Raining":

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        How does that thing clone anyway? I find that suspicious. Any Youtube vids?

Comment

(Do I really care? No... it's just funny)

Comment

That's actually called 'I'm too lazy to search YouTube for a decent vid"

Comment

Okay...so I dig the Clapton tone on Crossroads - Cream...just hook up the Kemper with mics on my stereo speakers...turn the chicken knob...hit the play button...voila???do I get that sound???

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
                Okay...so I dig the Clapton tone on Crossroads - Cream...just hook up the Kemper with mics on my stereo speakers...turn the chicken knob...hit the play button...voila???do I get that sound???
                I don't think it works that way. Buy his amps, and you can get the sound of those amps.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

In this episode we profiling MY amps using the KEMPER PROFILER AMP. ****BEATO AMP PROFILES → https://flatfiv.coTHE BEATO CLUB → https://flatfiv.co/pages/beco...

^ skip to ~7:00 to see how the profiling works or is done.

Incase its not posted already earlier.

Fractal has or had a tone match feature, its different from the kemper. You can play a track & the fractal stuff selects the cloaest match for amplifier & settings. I haven't looked into it much yet, anyone got a vid of it can feel free to post it, I'm feeling lazy today lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    Almost every pro that I talk to that uses a Kemper or Fractal uses them direct to the PA. Most of the people who pair them with a tube power amp either don't perform much, or spend too much time on forums.
                    This is what interests me, plugging straight in. Sure, I dig the pants flapping stuff, but it seems that I'm only doing that to a very limited extent these days, say, the occasional party or sleazy bar. Hardly ever, actually.

I was thinking of picking up a Tech 21 Fly Rig, the "5" model (the other two are sig models). Very portable. Straight to PA. It doesn't have near the capability of what you guys are talking about, but it's portable, and I have simple tone needs anyway. If it sucks, I send it back. We'll see.

I should add that most folks in the audience can't tell the differences regarding different gear we may play is a motivating factor. As long as it then at least decent to me is all I need.
                    Last edited by Laughing Kookaburra; 05-30-2019, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
                      This is what interests me, plugging straight in. Sure, I dig the pants flapping stuff, but it seems that I'm only doing that to a very limited extent these days, say, the occasional party or sleazy bar. Hardly ever, actually.

I was thinking of picking up a Tech 21 Fly Rig, the "5" model (the other two are sig models). Very portable. Straight to PA. It doesn't have near the capability of what you guys are talking about, but it's portable, and I have simple tone needs anyway. If it sucks, I send it back. We'll see.

I should add that most folks in the audience can't tell the differences regarding different gear we may play is a motivating factor. As long as it then at least decent to me is all I need.
                      **** the audience. Most folks in the audience can't tell the difference between the guitar and bass. I think we can aim a little higher than that.

:P
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                        **** the audience. Most folks in the audience can't tell the difference between the guitar and bass. I think we can aim a little higher than that.

Couldn’t agree more. The average person wouldn’t know good music/musicianship if it slapped them across the face.
                        I tone chase first and foremost for ME.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I can take it further than that. In the 80’s I was in a TRIO. We played for 4 hours at a college gig. When I got off stage I commented to a chick how tiring the last set was. She said, “You were in the band??”

Comment

• Kemper - what's the point?

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                            I can take it further than that. In the 80’s I was in a TRIO. We played for 4 hours at a college gig. When I got off stage I commented to a chick how tiring the last set was. She said, “You were in the band??”
                            There ya go....

Plus more proof that just because somebody goes to college doesn’t mean they aren’t a dumbass.

Last edited by Gtrjunior; 05-30-2019, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post

The FlyRig5 is a solid choice. Check out the Atomic Ampli-firebox pedal, too, especially if you want a few presets and a little more control. It is smaller than the FlyRig.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

But a Fly rig is miles aways from all of the tones available to a Kemper User....not even the same ballpark as a Sansamp with US/Brit and clean/classic/modern settings....

Comment

Working...
                                X