Kemper - what's the point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kemper - what's the point?

So everyone starts getting a chub at the mention of Kemper. But I am asking a serious what is the BFD with these?

First - I have heard a number of bands and seen them in use. You know what? Not once did I go "HOLY MOTHER OF TONE &^$%" or "WHERE THE %$#$ is [insert name of famous tone god]???? HE MUST BE BEHIND A CURTAINN SOMEWHERE!!!!"

Second, I have played one on two occasions in my favorite Sam Ash - so I played long and loud enough.

OK - it'a a modeller. Sounds just fine. Same as any other modeler these days. Yeah - lots of amps and cabs, half of which all sound the same to my old shot ears. And effects - OMG; The delays sounds as good as....any delay!

Defend this over-hyped, feature bloated, ungodly expensive piece of "So what?"
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: Kemper - what's the point?

I'll agree with the expensive part, but it's arguably the best at what it does. It's light, it has incredible flexibility live/recording and it sounds great. Plus, there's huge user support behind it and people feel comfortable investing in the technology, sort of like a Tesla.

It doesn't require lugging around 200 lbs worth of amps to get tons of different tones. You can take your favorite amp or a rarity you come across, model it on the spot and take the tone with you. It sounds close enough to the "real deal" that 99% can't tell the difference and most pros feel the advantages outweigh the cons.

I think you're ultimately trying to defend your "old shot ears". If it's as good as anything else, as you say, then it's just that...as good as anything else. I certainly view it as an "upgrade" to something like my Katana, however, even though it produces plenty of great sounds.

You could drop the same amount for a Mesa Boogie or high-end Marshall to get just a few sounds and still have to shell out more for pedals, recording equipment, etc.

Comment

^Interesting. How does one take your "favorite amp or a rarity you come across, model it on the spot" with that thing? Do you record a sample of it or something and transfer it to the unit?

Comment

If you only want one tone, sure, there's no point. You'll be better off with a simple setup.

If you don't want to have to buy and maintain 100 amps and pedals, get a high-end modeler.

If you're not sure what you want or your tastes change, again, you're better off with a high-end modeler.

The Kemper, Axe FX, Helix, etc. stuff is amazing.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

again, so I'm saying Pod = Kemper.

So why Kemper? I get the "record and model something not already there". Although I highly question that...but whatever.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

It's a toaster.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Fractal in front of a tube amp is the M/fx set up that impressed me.

I always thought the Line 6 stuff M/fx in front of anything was a bit of a tone suck if you wetted the signal too much. good for light application.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Also, I've listen to all of the A/B comparisons between Kempers and Tube Amps.

Apples to Apples a Tube Amp does sound slightly better still -rounder and more dimensional, but it's not a big gap -and the fexibility a Kemper gives you makes it a clear choice for many people -so I get it. Not everyone is looking for the ultimate tone. ..but I am -so no Kemper for me!
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

thought the same about Fractal till got one and spent a whole lotta time working with it...it's like if you have to ask you'll never understand kinda deal...you have to invest the time to find the answer...

the Kemper avg actual sell price on Reverb is ~1.400...relatively small gear investment with a high probability of 90% return if you don't like it...no reason not to try it if your really curious...

Comment

A Kemper is different than a Fractal in that it is a profiler. It sounds only as good as the amp it profiles (samples). And it sounds exactly like those amps. Instead of carrying a bunch of amps around, you carry this one device. What it does is proprietary, so no other company can quite do the same thing. Fractal goes about it the other way, by making a computer model of every component in an amp. Hook them all up, it sounds like the amp. Very different technologies. I've heard both sound remarkable.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The last few posts were all excellent.

Aceman, if you have to be sold on the idea of a Kemper and still tend to think of it as a glorified POD with a higher price tag, maybe it's simply not for you.

For thousands of others who understand its uniqueness and appreciate its attributes compared to other modelers, there's really no substitute.

Comment

I think modelling stuff can sound really fantastic . . . but does anyone else find that they don't like using modelers simply because there are too many options? I seem to end up spending ages dicking around with knobs rather than playing. Much of my current setup has been pared down for simplicity to reduce the need for knob twiddling so I can sit down and immediately get the three or four sounds that I like.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                          I think modelling stuff can sound really fantastic . . . but does anyone else find that they don't like using modelers simply because there are too many options? I seem to end up spending ages dicking around with knobs rather than playing. Much of my current setup has been pared down for simplicity to reduce the need for knob twiddling so I can sit down and immediately get the three or four sounds that I like.
                          Then once you get to the gig and do a sound check the room requires completely different eq and ambiance than the presets you spent all that time building.

I also don't need any more than a few core tones. If they respond to picking dynamics and guitar knob adjustments so much the better.
                          Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 04-26-2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                            Indeed. sometimes it's wormhole. Creativity more often flows better from focused effort

Comment

Like Mincer said, it’s profiling, not modeling. It’s like a snapshot of an entire rig.

Comparing it to a POD is like saying R9 = Epiphone LP Standard.
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                              X