X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kemper - what's the point?

Weak analogy is weak Fred.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
      So your cell phone probably looks something like this???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98768[/ATTACH]

Or do you have a tube phone???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98769[/ATTACH]
      No cell, but I had a rotary phone until the phone company started charging extra for pulse dialing. :P
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        Weak analogy is weak Fred.
        Evidently, Dr. Ace, you did not understand...it was not an analogy....

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          while i think to your point -"amps taking pedals well" is a completely abused marketing strategy at this point -there are are some amps that actually don't -but they are mostly a few 50s and 60's amps that have little headroom for anything much over unity gain from a humbucker or a buffer circuit.

so I think we are 40 or 50 years past most concern for this, most amps have had ample headroom since the late 60s
          There is amps like that still. Tiny Terror?

To be honest, no 15 watt amp "takes pedals well" in practical volume levels.
          Last edited by Jacew; 06-02-2019, 01:16 AM.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I’m so old my phone is steam powered. Now get off my lawn.

IME emulators don’t take pedals really because you are not hitting an actual circuit with the pedal, but just the input of a computer with software. Hardware like pedals react with the circuit/components that come before it and come after it, and that interaction ether enhances or messes up the sound.

Comment

We are currently sitting at LULZ on the Hilarity Meter.

Comment

Ande, so, no one has asked this: How well does a Kemper take pedals?
                If you have access to the amp, you can profile it with and without the pedal.

Since it's digital, I would be concerned about overloading the input. Digital distortion usually doesn't work well.

Comment

Well if it were a old 90s mfx unit then yes OD/DST pedals would pale in front of it. However since with units like axfx ii/kemper then these take pedals like a traditional amp. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YrYInotnqVI

Comment

I successfully profiled my RK100. I needed to sell the amp, but I didn't want to lose it either... Solution? Profile it! I submitted my profiles to the Kemper Rig Exchange, then sold the RK100. I've been missing the Cornford, but getting that amp back is next to impossible. Solution? Buy another Kemper, and upload my profiles!

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                      The way your guitar amp sounds depends on the room it's in, the number of people in that room, the air density/temperature, etc. That's why exactly the same amp with exactly the same settings will sound different from place to place. I doubt that the Kemper can capture all of these variables.
                      You say that like it's a bad thing?

Comment

The way your guitar amp sounds depends on the room it's in, the number of people in that room, the air density/temperature, etc. That's why exactly the same amp with exactly the same settings will sound different from place to place. I doubt that the Kemper can capture all of these variables.
                        That statement is so stupid we should revoke your engineering degree.

The SOUND coming out of the speakers will, that which you perceive. But not the amp.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Most guitarists, unless they are using iem's, and even then it depends on the mix being sent to them, have no clue as to how they sound to the front of the house. In the end, maybe it's better that way.
                          That's why a good sound engineer is so valuable.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

That statement is so stupid we should revoke your engineering degree.

The SOUND coming out of the speakers will, that which you perceive. But not the amp.
                            Yes, that was kinda the point of my post.

Perception is pretty important in acoustics, and it changes very easily. The sound you hear is going to change, even if your amp is profiled perfectly . . . so if you think that a Kemper will reliably give you exactly a particular sound, you're likely wrong. You might have a perfect profile but it won't sound right the next day, not due to a problem with the Kemper, but because one of those other variables has changed.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Yes, that was kinda the point of my post.

Perception is pretty important in acoustics, and it changes very easily. The sound you hear is going to change, even if your amp is profiled perfectly . . . so if you think that a Kemper will reliably give you exactly a particular sound, you're likely wrong. You might have a perfect profile but it won't sound right the next day, not due to a problem with the Kemper, but because one of those other variables has changed.
                              The real question: does that really matter that much in a day to day live situation for a working musician?

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                                The real question: does that really matter that much in a day to day live situation for a working musician?

Hell no! That was also part of my argument. A skilled player can make just about any amp work . . . which is why the whole 'I need exact toanz for the wedding cover band gigs I play, hence Kemper' didn't make any sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X