X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amplifier shock absorbers

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    Good point.
    I have also noticed that the vast majority of bumps and bruises my gear sustains is due to transport
    Yeah, agreed -if you transport an amp in a car with s stiff suspension or bad struts and shocks you can really do a number on your amp over time. Anytime I ship expensive amplifier and vintage studio equipment -I specify carriers with air ride truck suspensions or a "white gloves" shipper who specializes in this. Otherwise, they will get beat to hell. I used to haul amps across the country and back in 3-8 hr rides between each gig -thats when it really gets bad.

Though tubes are not the only components that die over time from vibration -they potted into solid state all of the Apollo capsule components for a reason -too much vibration or hits are bad -especially caps and solder points on perf.

Also -putting an amp on it's side or back where the tubes are horizontal is bad -because gravity is making the upper sockets which are away from the fulcrum point pull down and out at a different angle from the lower pins being pushed in -at the fulcrum point -which over time in a long ride with normal jolts in the car/truck cause the socket to open very slightly -not to mention creates deflection on the pins -which over a long time creates issues. Pulling tubes is a great practice -but I get that it's not practical for regular daily practice.

If you are going to a gig, stand your amp on a small block of foam or even a blanket in a pinch or in the seat, if you want to better mitigate long term wear. -Anything to de-couple the tubes from the bumps and jolts of the car chassis.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Also OP, your AMP being on your head during a gig is actually decoupling the vibration from the PA and Drum Set -which are a bigger issue if your head is directly on the stage (depending on the stage of course) -If anything you want your head on your Amp rather than on the stage directly -or on something else on the stage and not direct -your guitar amp vibrations are likely no the source of all your issues -the drums and sound reinforcement present a larger risk in many ways.

Buy some memory foam and put a few inches between your amp and head feet or buy some turntable feet isolation pads on Amazon and set your amp on those.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Sorbothane isolators may help.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
          Sorbothane isolators may help.
          Those look great

Comment

Has anyone suggested a road case yet?

I second the whole "check your bias" thing.
            Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
              Has anyone suggested a road case yet?

I second the whole "check your bias" thing.
              I always use a road case for transport to gigs.
              Yes, they are heavy and bulky but it beats the alternative(s).

Comment

Ace hardware has these rubber bumpers, pretty cool.

Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Not much, at this point although that is likely to change.

I think what we have been experiencing is a combination of issues. Older amps with problems in some cases, sketchy cabs in others, bad tubes. Maybe made worse by playing too loud at low frequency.

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                  i have lots of experience with these issues.

First I would suggest that the more likely culprit is amplifier transport -because bumps in the road that jolt the element in a tube is 1000x worse than your amp being on the head.

How often and how do your transport you amps?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X