DIY Amp Kit Preferences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Amp Kit Preferences

I'm kind of torn... Basically looking for something single channel, with good headroom against loud drummers, that can take pedals well. My plan is to build whatever circuit I settle on into a head to use with my 120 watt WGS loaded 212 cab. There will be some high gain happening here as I'll be running my BE-OD clone into it for my gain sound. But the clean I would like to have it just before that "edge of breakup" where the notes develop a little more character, but still don't get gritty on a 7K-10K pickup.

I have had my sights set on MojoTone's 5F8-A HP Tweed Twin small parts kit for a bit. Get the PT and choke through Mojo as well, then get the OT from Classic Tone. This seems like a more high quality build when it's all said and done, and might be more straightforward for me as I'm kind of new to the whole amp building scene. But I have concerns of the headroom not being what I need. I suppose I could always figure out a master volume for it, but not really sure how well that'd work.

Other options catching my eye now are the Weber kits for the 6O100 (Orange Or100) and the more preferred option from Weber, the 6S100 (Sunn 100S). But these seem to be slightly cheaper components and I heard something about the OT for the 6S100 not being correct for the 2x KT88 configuration on the Sunn Clone. And when I started shopping around for a different OT, my options were slim and pricey.

I'm currently working on a 5F11 kit from Mojo that I'm enjoying building. It's just been a slow process because it really won't serve a purpose for my rig, so there's no fire under my ass to get it done. It's going to be more for fun/low volume jamming purposes.

If anyone could offer insight on the kits I have mentioned here, another good option I've yet overlooked, or even a good resource to put the parts together myself, I'd be grateful.

Re: DIY Amp Kit Preferences

Originally posted by MrClark6 View Post
    I'm kind of torn... Basically looking for something single channel, with good headroom against loud drummers, that can take pedals well. My plan is to build whatever circuit I settle on into a head to use with my 120 watt WGS loaded 212 cab. There will be some high gain happening here as I'll be running my BE-OD clone into it for my gain sound. But the clean I would like to have it just before that "edge of breakup" where the notes develop a little more character, but still don't get gritty on a 7K-10K pickup.
    Might consider a Hiwatt build for this.

Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 05-01-2019, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
      Beat me to it.

Comment

Ugh,Yeah that was something else I'd considered, but I'm a little ignorant on Hiwatt tone other than knowing that Gilmour is a pretty big user. This is definitely a jump up in price too. But, I am trying to build my amp to rule them all.

Any suggested listening to get an idea what a good loud CLEAN Hiwatt sounds like?

Would the 50 watt be enough to stay clean and punchy with a loud drummer, or should I go right for the 100 watt?
        Last edited by MrClark6; 05-01-2019, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Weber JTM45...

https://www.tedweber.com/6m45-c-kt

without the cabinet about 450....

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
            +1

Originally posted by justFred View Post
            Weber JTM45...

https://www.tedweber.com/6m45-c-kt

without the cabinet about 450....
            My brother has a Weber JTM45 and the kits are quite affordable, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a clean pedal amp. It's a great amp with a really rich clean tone, but it runs out of headroom pretty quickly. Up against a loud drummer something like a Hiwatt or one of the larger Fenders would be a much better bet.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Lots of great Robert Fripp/King Crimson clean tones came from HiWatts as well. For the dirt, he used a Foxey Lady pedal.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

After some more research yesterday, I'm definitely leaning more in the direction Ceriatone's Hiwatt DR103 clone.

I already have tubes and all I need to build the cab, so just the needed small parts, chassis, and transformers are $385 before shipping.

That's pretty enticing...

Comment

Originally posted by MrClark6 View Post
                  After some more research yesterday, I'm definitely leaning more in the direction Ceriatone's Hiwatt DR103 clone.

I already have tubes and all I need to build the cab, so just the needed small parts, chassis, and transformers are $385 before shipping.

That's pretty enticing...
                  Ceriatone has a US distributor too (assuming you are in the US)
                  Guitar Amps USA is the number one US reseller of Ceriatone amplifiers and professional overdrive pedals, providing custom, hand-built, point-to-point hand-wired amps from Ceriatone Amplification exclusively.

Not sure if that makes a difference In Shipping costs but it’s worth looking into.

Comment

JTM-45 clone.

Comment

Working...
                    X