Beginner Tube Amp Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beginner Tube Amp Suggestions

I am hobbying, although I might use it for a gig at some point, but that is pretty doubtful. I was planning on using it for fun, practice, and home studio recording.

Since it'll stay in my home studio 99% of the time, weight and size are not really issues, although a combo would be probably be more space efficient than a head + stack. Longevity depends on if sitting in a temperate room and never crazy stress tested will negatively affect it, which I doubt almost regardless of what I get.

Comment

I can’t get over how much I love my POD XT Live running through an old Fender Super Reverb. Don’t be afraid of combining that POD with something tubey.

As far as straight tubes, Mesa DC series is awesome.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
        I am hobbying, although I might use it for a gig at some point, but that is pretty doubtful. I was planning on using it for fun, practice, and home studio recording.

Since it'll stay in my home studio 99% of the time, weight and size are not really issues, although a combo would be probably be more space efficient than a head + stack. Longevity depends on if sitting in a temperate room and never crazy stress tested will negatively affect it, which I doubt almost regardless of what I get.
        In this case, I think you would do best with a low wattage head (no more than about 20 watts) and a 2x12 speaker cab:
        - It's very portable should the need arise
        - if you stand the cab on it's side it takes up no more room than a 1x12 combo
        - two 12 inch speakers will spread the sound around your room more
        - you can mix two different speakers and then mic one or the other up to get different tones while recording
        - 12 inch speakers tend to sound better to me than most 10 and 15 inch speakers for guitar amps
        - you should be able to crank a low wattage head for recording purposes without going deaf, but it should be just loud enough to hang with a drummer and bassist for jams if you don't care about super clean tones.

Which particular amp, cab, and speakers you choose will of course be up to your personal tastes. If unsure, I'd try out something Fenderish, something Marshally, and something Voxish and pick the one of the three that sounded best to my ears.
        Last edited by GuitarStv; 05-02-2019, 07:38 PM.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Marshall DSL 40 for great dirt and cleans
          Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for all around coolness
          Peavey Classic 30
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

A Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Deluxe Reverb, or Bassbreaker is probably an amp you will never sell no mater where music takes you. its something you will keep for a lifetime.

I pick an AC15 over a 30 for a 1x12 arrangement. less features and less versatile than the Fenders but that one thing it does is magic.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Laney IRT60-212 fits your requirements perfectly and well under 1000 dollars. It does everything a Mesa and an AC30 does.

Comment

Couple of other options...
                Egnater Rebel 30 or Tweaker 40
                Orange Rocker 15
                Supro Blues King
                sigpic
                Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Working...
                X