Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fender Amps

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
    Unfortunately most of the best Fender amps are no longer being made by Fender anymore so you either have to look for something vintage or a clone. Not that there’s anything wrong with they’re reissued models, they sound great! However if I’m going to drop a $1000+ on a new Fender style amplifier I’d much rather buy a really nice point to point hand wired 5E3 Tweed Deluxe clone & a good reverb pedal over a new 65 D.R.R.I. or 68 Custom...

Cathode biased, easily worked on, great tube breakup as well as being great pedal platforms, & tone for days!!!

Actually I got my J. Chester 5F6 4X10 Bassman clone built to my specks, with no expense spared, for about the same price as a new 68 Deluxe or Tremolux. No reverb but another well spent $80-$150 will get you a reverb pedal that’ll basically sound just as good as anything you’d get from the amplifier itself...
    That's always cool route, but that's literally been the case since the 60s, there is ALWAYS a boutique manufacturer willing to source and build faithful versions of whatever Fender -that Fender can't because they are supplying 20,000 units in a year. I mean that was Mesa's whole business after the Bassman supply dried up on the West Coast.

I don't think that's a reason to not to buy a Fender if it falls in the right functional and price range -A quality Fender Deluxe Reissue is 850.00 at Christmas -Whereas a competing more boutique Deluxe starts at 1500.00 to 2000.00 (starting!), and a build your own parts only kit is 600 starting but with NO LABOR -so that's a cost as well -to you (but a super fun way to get into a higher end unit) Plus if you gig and tour heavily, a boutique amp is often not the best choice for a host of reasons.

Although, on principle I support your notion.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

One of the things about the reissues is the cab:
      The old fenders were most often pine,
      The reissues most often birch except some of the pricey hand wired reissues.
      Especially with the small combos like the Princeton where the cab resonance is sort of part of the overdrive tone, it makes a difference in things like what the cab and baffle are made of and how they're mounted. Makes a difference in the amount of cab rattle too.
      But still thanks fender for making affordable "90% the way there" reissue the stuff that's affordable and accessable. I like my 68 CPR more than a blues Jr and it wasn't much more money. The supersonic 22 is underrated.
      Those custom 68 deluxe reverb are fun as well
      I had a DRRI and it was good, especially after a new speaker and tubes. It blew a screen grid resistor and the tech commented that they should have used better stuff there. But with vintage stuff if you crank it you will probably also have to see a tech for maintenance a few times.
      But that old point to point stuff is better in that case as well.
      So really go vintage if you can afford...
      If you can't it's not so bad

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by smitty302 View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]98105[/ATTACH]

Would I be better buying something like this used for blues, classic rock or buying a something new like the bassbreaker 30r?
        You will need overdrive pedals with the deluxe reverb I bet
        Not sure about the 30R but I would say most people would want some kinda pedal for classic rock
        The deluxe is more my taste
        Some people find the blackface stuff a little thin and mid scooped though
        That is probably the biggest thing: what flavor of fender do you want?
        The deluxe you can re sell all day for $700 if you don't like it
        Not sure what the used market is like in bass breaker and if you'd take more of a hit if you didn't like it down the line

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
          You will need overdrive pedals with the deluxe reverb I bet
          Not sure about the 30R but I would say most people would want some kinda pedal for classic rock
          The deluxe is more my taste
          Some people find the blackface stuff a little thin and mid scooped though
          That is probably the biggest thing: what flavor of fender do you want?
          The deluxe you can re sell all day for $700 if you don't like it
          Not sure what the used market is like in bass breaker and if you'd take more of a hit if you didn't like it down the line

Agreed, you are going to want a overdrive/boost/distortion something on the front end for another gain stage. Nothin' fancy required but essential if you want to drive the amp and get aggro sounds.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by smitty302 View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]98105[/ATTACH]

Would I be better buying something like this used for blues, classic rock or buying a something new like the bassbreaker 30r?
            Send me the money quick before someone else snags it. I can run over and snag it for you. Don't worry if you can't make it down here for, you know . . . a year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
              This is an original '66 (blackface) Deluxe with original NOS tubes cranked to the max; using a Strat with Callaham H/SRV single coils (bridge only):

that was full up? my '66 dr is dirtier than that with vintage output singles when cranked. tone is great there though. i have a weber recone g12h30-55 on a celestion v30 in mine at the moment so that might be part of it

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              Also TS

The magic six setting on any Blackface/Silverface 1965 and 1968 or similar reissues is real -and magical . -try it in a store if you travel sometime and if you don't buy one -I dare you

most players don't drive a non master Fender at 6 -more often 3 or 4 -but they are missing out -especially for recording

I played a giant venue in Nashville this year -and even I couldn't get my Deluxe to 6 without the other players being pissed...

for my dr, i think the magic setting is vol 6, treble 6, bass 4, reverb 3. a super reverb sounds amazing with vol 9, treble 8, mid 7, bass 3, reverb 3. its loud as hell though

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                that was full up? my '66 dr is dirtier than that with vintage output singles when cranked. tone is great there though. i have a weber recone g12h30-55 on a celestion v30 in mine at the moment so that might be part of it

for my dr, i think the magic setting is vol 6, treble 6, bass 4, reverb 3. a super reverb sounds amazing with vol 9, treble 8, mid 7, bass 3, reverb 3. its loud as hell though
                9... Hell yeah!

Comment

Working...
                X