Do solid state amps need maintenance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do solid state amps need maintenance?

I have a peavey vypyr vip 3 solid state amp does it need maintenance like a tube amp? i know removing dust is one thing lol but anything else i need to know? like should i replace the speaker every year? etc... thank you

Re: Do solid state amps need maintenance?

Not regular maintenance or health checks like a tube amp.

The 1/4" jacks should be cleaned every year or two with De-oxit or similar electronic connector cleaner -or Isopropyl alcohol and maybe the fuse swapped after many years, but unless it's making noise from aging caps etc, I'd say there's not much to do -maybe clean the grill cloth, maybe gently clear the speaker of dust build up after years, check the speaker connections. I don't believe their are any analog pots on the face either, just digital controllers -so no pots to clean either.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Hell yeah.

Checking / changing crackling pots, switches, jack slots, suspicious condensers and cracks on the mainboard e.t.c. They are less of a headache and break less frequently in my experience but still require some care to run long and happy.
      Wackor
      Ørdøg
      NecroPolo
      Diabolus in Musica
      SIDrip Alliance
      Book of Shadows
      RKH

Comment

I'd say that they would need slightly more care than a pedal. Just make sure it is clean, the pots aren't scratchy, and the speaker doesn't rot out.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

They Only need maintenance after I use em....
          Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

For the record, your amp would be considered digital, not solid state.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I always view amp scheduled maintenance like this. A solid state amp is like a clock-radio. A tube amp is like an automobile.
              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

The shared parts between tube and solid state amps can have the same problems on both types. Obviously tube amps have parts that solid state amps do not have, and these parts need periodic replacement; that doesn't really exist in solid state amps. But you do still have to worry about standard upkeep of the components of the amp. E.g. jacks, pots, etc. That stuff can crap out on any type of "actual" (i.e. not "virtual") amp.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Dusting off?
                  I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

OP, People are overthinking this becuase they aren't realizing the amp you have. It's a composite digital/solid state amp -the knobs are encoder knobs not audio pots -so refer to my original post. Literally the only maintenance until something fails or the amp is getting noisy is cleaning the grill cloth and exterior tolex and cleaning the 1/4" jacks with isopropyl alcohol or de-oxit once a year

trust me -that's it -for what you have. no worries!

Have a blast -you have a cool little amp.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

well, the other thing is to regularly check for firmware updates.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Unplug it during storms
                        It could be damaged by lightning and such
                        It could be damaged by low voltage as well like brown outs

The speaker is designed for a modeling amp
                        And swapping the speaker may not have the desired effect

Dont hose it down like you would an automobile

Take care.when riding it down wheelchair ramps on its casters

Ok I'm just trying to think of all the ways I've seen solid state amps fail
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          well, the other thing is to regularly check for firmware updates.
                          This is pretty damn good point.

Comment

I bought a Peavey Bandit 75 brand new in 1987, it was my first amp. I've never done one thing to it despite years of total abuse. It's been loaned out countless times. One time I found out a guy used it for a bass amp at a gig because his amp blew, I was pissed. But it still sounds just like it did 32 year's ago.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty302 View Post
                              I bought a Peavey Bandit 75 brand new in 1987, it was my first amp. I've never done one thing to it despite years of total abuse. It's been loaned out countless times. One time I found out a guy used it for a bass amp at a gig because his amp blew, I was pissed. But it still sounds just like it did 32 year's ago.
                              +1

Unless it breaks, leave it alone. You're more likely to break it doing "maintenance" than actually help anything.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X