NAD MT15 is HERE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD MT15 is HERE!

Arrived today and got a huge surprise. This one was supposed to be a shop demo amp open box as I paid just under $500 flat for it shipped. It wasn't!! Fully sealed boxes bags all the knob's at zero this one was brand new everything was never opened!!
    First impressions.
    First off how the heck is this thing just rated at 15 watts?? Side by side on the same cab or even with the Mesa 50 watt DC 5 on a 2/12 loaded with WGS Retro 30's and the MT5 on a 1/12 loaded with the same speaker the MT5 keeps up with the Boogie!! Heck of a LOUD amp when you crank it here!! Can easily gig out with it just like I can with both the Carvin X50 and the Boogie DC 5
    secondly tones.
    Cleans are fantastic probably the best of the 3 heads. Both the Bogie and the Carvin are very good but a little to clean for my taste. The little PRS has a little more of hat old Fender sponge to it just big rich and very friendly feeling.
    Crunch side .
    First off it's a real fire breather with a LOT of gain on tap. However is very organic and touch sensitive. Really responds well to volume roll off and touch. As well maybe as my prized Zinky does and is more dynamic in that respect than both the Carvin and the DC5 are.
    Just giving my ears a bit of a break and haven't worked with the loop yet. Has just a bit if light hiss at gain but not bad at all.
    Also loves these Retro 30 loaded cabs sounds massive through the open back 1/12 which works out great because that makes for a small portable rig that absolutely KILLS in tone!!
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: NAD MT15 is HERE!

If only it wasn't named after that poseur Tremonti....

Seriously, PRS has the weirdest taste in endorsers.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Glad you like the amp Ascension! Sounds like it sounds great and has more than enough volume.

I'm sure he says the same about you Adieu. Oh wait, no, no he doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
        Glad you like the amp Ascension! Sounds like it sounds great and has more than enough volume.
        The volume thing was one I wanted to address . Many see 15 watts and think it's going to sound like a EL 84 amp with the lack of bottom and headroom. Nope it really sounds and feels more like a 50 watt 6L6 amp just like the little 20 watt EL34 Marshalls do. Don't discount these lower wattage big bottle amps as lacking untill you play one at volume!
        With a little more time with her one thing I will say it is a much more forgiving easier to play amp than my DC 5 is. Need to get it in a band mix to really see how it sitts in a mix but here it sounds bigger fuller and richer across the spectrum than the DC 5.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

man..read reviews on this MT 15 and every single on is rave up...LOUD and beautiful tone...they love this thing...but many are perplexed as I....2 6L6s usually go 50 to 65 watts...PRS must have tuned this thing way down or conservative in the 15w claim...maybe a little of both...

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
            man..read reviews on this MT 15 and every single on is rave up...LOUD and beautiful tone...they love this thing...but many are perplexed as I....2 6L6s usually go 50 to 65 watts...PRS must have tuned this thing way down or conservative in the 15w claim...maybe a little of both...
            It's a type of power scaling, but instead a knob that turns it down continuously, it's preset to steps at say 20, 15, 5 watts. The Soldano Hotrod 25 uses two 5881s. The Marshall 20 watt minis are cathode biased so you can use any octal tube. I think its a better idea than using EL84s, because the amps sound much like the big amps they are modeled on, but you can turn them up more than their big brothers. EL84s I think would have changed them into something else entirely, not that it might not have been a good result. Now using 6V6s in the Fender Supersonic 22 makes sense because of the Deluxe Reverb legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
              They are doing the Low plate voltage thing. Same thing that Van Halen did with his "brown" sound Marshall where he ran the amp on low voltage. The feel is of a much higher wattage amp cranked but at lower volumes. Marshall is doing the same thing with EL34's in their 20 watt heads and so is Soldano with the Hot Rod 25.
              I suspect that the power tube life will also be very long in these amps.
              Tone for days seems very well built and in this small package really digging this little amp!! This thing is what I had hoped the Jet City JCA22H Custom head I had would be but wasn't!!
              Last edited by Ascension; 05-07-2019, 09:48 PM.
              Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                If only it wasn't named after that poseur Tremonti....

Seriously, PRS has the weirdest taste in endorsers.
                Really?
                Tremonti is a monster guitar player.
                He’s no poseur...not by a long shot.

Comment

Congrats! Any chance we get to hear some clips?

How does it do at low volumes?

If I must be totally honest, I'm not very keen on the Tremonti association either, but I'm GASing horribly for one of those amps. The clips make it sound sooooooo juicy. Like a beefed up Archon with a little Uber and Recto thrown in.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                    Congrats! Any chance we get to hear some clips?

How does it do at low volumes?

If I must be totally honest, I'm not very keen on the Tremonti association either, but I'm GASing horribly for one of those amps. The clips make it sound sooooooo juicy. Like a beefed up Archon with a little Uber and Recto thrown in.
                    On clips still getting used to it and have not had a chance to work with the loop yet for verb and delay. It may be a few days before I can get alone with her when my wife's not around. When I do get to clips I will run dry and wet clean and crunch.
                    It can get low volume tone but at full power it's pretty touchy on the crunch side. The taper on the master pot seems to be the issue as it jumps up quickly at the start.
                    It's much easier to control on the low power side but looses some of the richness in the bottom.
                    They do feel much like a Rec but are more touch sensitive and clean up better with the volume control. They don't have as much bottom as say a triple Rec but are more balanced tone wise. A baby Archon is a good take. The cleans are very Fenderish and are very good for an amp of this type.
                    Last edited by Ascension; 05-07-2019, 09:42 PM.
                    Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                      Really?
                      Tremonti is a monster guitar player.
                      He’s no poseur...not by a long shot.
                      Creed was meh... did he mature surprisingly well since or something?

Comment

Creed was meh... did he mature surprisingly well since or something?
                        You tell me--
                        Last edited by Ascension; 05-08-2019, 01:29 AM.
                        Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                          You tell me--
                          Symphonic CountryCore?

Huh...

Comment

Tremontis solo stuff with him on vocals.
                            Last edited by Ascension; 05-08-2019, 01:50 AM.
                            Guitars

Comment

Symphonic CountryCore?

Huh...
                              Studio Version same song. I didn't buy the amp because of anything to to do with Tremonti BTW I know personally better players than he will ever be but he is far from a poser.
                              I simply wanted a big sounding small amp that ran big bottle tubes was portable had a good loop and sounded great. Bought a Jet City JCA 22H Custom first but it just wasn't what I was looking for tone wise. This one is!

Guitars

Comment

Working...
                              X