Mixing speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing speakers

So I have an old jcm 800 slant cab that came with 2 v30s and 2 greenbacks in an X pattern. I didnt really care for that setup because it sounded so different depending on which side of the cab you were standing on. So I moved them to a top/bottom setup and it's much better. So my question is this. I prefer a straight cab to a slant cab and I'm pickup up an old Marshall 4x12. It has the g12-75s in it and I hate those speakers. I would like to swap out the speakers from my jcm cab into this cab. Seeing as they will all be on the same plane will it matter if they are in an X or top/bottom. I realize that I could swap them around a see for myself. But that's kind of a hassle. So I though I would let the internet tell me what I should do with my stuff. 😄
    Insert witty signature here so people on the internet will think I'm cool....

Re: Mixing speakers

I’ve never tried but I’d assume that you would still hear it similarly to what you’ve noticed in your slant cab.
    The possible exception being that the top speakers wouldn’t be angled up toward your head so whichever you have there would seem slightly more attenuated. (Which might not be a bad thing if you’ve got the V30’s up top.)

Comment

I’d X them. If not, put the Greenbacks on top.
      I have a vertical 2x12 with a Greenback on
      top and a V30 under it. I like the combination
      of those 2 speakers. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

if you didnt like the x in the slant, i doubt youll like it in the straight. if it was me, id put greenbacks on top and v30 on the bottom

Comment

the speaker you stand closest to will be the one you hear
          make sure the top speaker you stand nearest to is the one you like

you could probably just flip the X pattern and achieved the same improvement

anyone standing in the audience area wouldn't notice

this is my opinion
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            the speaker you stand closest to will be the one you hear
            make sure the top speaker you stand nearest to is the one you like

you could probably just flip the X pattern and achieved the same improvement

anyone standing in the audience area wouldn't notice

this is my opinion
            Right. I tend to agree with you and in the slant cab I moved them to the greenbacks on top and the v30s on bottom. My practice space isn't big enough to get far enough away from the cab to really gear the full mix if the speakers.

Comment

I have that exact X pattern V30/greenback combo in my 1960TV Marshall Slant Cabinet which is a little creamier and smoother than a 1960a style typically and love it -but the TV cab makes the Greenbacks less angry that a regular 1960a -so you are probably having a different experience than me
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                I have that exact X pattern V30/greenback combo in my 1960TV Marshall Slant Cabinet which is a little creamier and smoother than a 1960a style typically and love it -but the TV cab makes the Greenbacks less angry that a regular 1960a -so you are probably having a different experience than me
                Yeah foe me the v30s are the angry ones and the greenbacks are much smoother and mellowed out which I like.

Comment

I currently rock a slant Marshall cab with g12 t 75's and v30's in an x. I think it's the best sounding complementing combo ever. Just my take.

I've owned 3 other cabs, with the same speakers.
                  And 1 with swamp thangs and Texas heats.

I love the g12 75s , they help round out the mix with the bright 30's by adding a little darkness.
                  Last edited by 80's_Metal; 05-09-2019, 11:31 PM.
                  Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Mixing speakers

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                    I currently rock a slant Marshall cab with g12 t 75's and v30's in an x. I think it's the best sounding complementing combo ever. Just my take.

I've owned 3 other cabs, with the same speakers.
                    And 1 with swamp thangs and Texas heats.

I love the g12 75s , they help round out the mix with the bright 30's by adding a little darkness.
                    The G12t’s get a bad rap on the internet but I’ve got them in 2 2x12 cabs paired with a Splawn Small Block (greenback flavored) and I think they sound great. They carry the low end extremely well and the Small Blocks smooth out the overall tone.
                    Last edited by Gtrjunior; 05-10-2019, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jr_vw2 View Post
                      Yeah foe me the v30s are the angry ones and the greenbacks are much smoother and mellowed out which I like.
                      my Greenbacks are like mid range chainsaw at times..
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

i love the g12m, mine is 20+ years old so well broken in, but while it is very middy/upper middy the top end is nice and smooth, never harsh. granted it depends on the amp a lot as well

Comment

Working...
                        X