banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone try one of the new Marshall Origin 50 heads yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone try one of the new Marshall Origin 50 heads yet?

Originally posted by BenPerkins View Post
    Are these heads cathode biased? Thank you
    The 20 watt ones are. The 50 watt ones are fixed (adjustable) bias.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
      I get the same feeling with my 2007 JVM. It’s a shame when built quality gets squeezed out. Durability is part of having truly nice things.
      My JVM hasn't crapped out on me in the almost 10 years I've owned it.
      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Had a little test run of the 20W head. It sounded sweet through a Greenback cab. The response reminded me of a Plexi rather than a JCM800. I'd say if you're into the Marshall thing, for the money it is rather hard to find a better and more authentic Marshall sounding amp.
        Wackor
        Ørdøg
        NecroPolo
        Diabolus in Musica
        SIDrip Alliance
        Book of Shadows
        RKH

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
          Had a little test run of the 20W head. It sounded sweet through a Greenback cab. The response reminded me of a Plexi rather than a JCM800. I'd say if you're into the Marshall thing, for the money it is rather hard to find a better and more authentic Marshall sounding amp.
          I agree with you. I ran one of the 20 watters side by side with both a PRS MT15 and the little 20 watt JCM800. Like the Origin but it was a one trick pony. The crunch tones were nice and very Plexi like, not super high gain but the amp was very dynamic and touch sensitive. It did seem quite lightweight and fragile in comparison to the JCM 800 and the MT 15 in build quality though.
          Last edited by Ascension; 05-14-2019, 11:31 AM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Just found out there's a 20 watts DSL head. I think I'd go with that instead.
            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
              The 20 watt ones are. The 50 watt ones are fixed (adjustable) bias.
              Awesome. It uses EL34s - are KT66s a suitable replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

LPB has run KT66s in his Mini Jubilee, so I don't see why they wouldn't work in either the JCM800 or DSL since they all use essentially the same power section.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

The 50 watt or the 20 watt Origin?

KT66 can be used in place of an existing EL34 as long they physically fit in the head shell, and in the case of fixed bias (the 50 watt Origin) if the bias pot has enough range to adjust the bias.

The EL34 already consumes slightly more heater current than KT66, and in most cases already uses a larger screen grid resistor than required by KT66.

With KT66 it doesn't matter if the tube socket has pins 8 and 1 externally jumpered or not. It usually must be with EL34.

With the 20 watt being cathode biased the bias is not something you need to worry about. Just plug em in and go.

The KT66 will not be quite as loud as EL34s

With both, bear trap style tube retainers usually don't work with KT66 because the bases are too big and often tapered. Some reissues use metal bases and that certainly won't work with bear traps. These are easily removed with a screw driver though. Additionally, most KT66s are just physically much taller and fatter than EL34s. The Chinesse KT66 is even taller than the Russian and JJ KT66 reissues.

Comment

Working...
                  X