banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Tubes for 1970 Bassman

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best Tubes for 1970 Bassman

    Anyone have any recommendations for NOS or current production tubes?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • #2
    Re: Best Tubes for 1970 Bassman

    ive liked the tab 6l6wgc-str in my dual showman, if you can get some old ge glass they are great but also expensive

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Best Tubes for 1970 Bassman

      Depends what you want:
      big cleans---7581A or STR series, nice round tones---5881 or RCA blackplates. There are NOS and new production versions of all these 6L6 variants.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Best Tubes for 1970 Bassman

        6L6’s or 5881’s if you’re feeling frisky....


        Lol, sorry... I’m pretty impressed with the Tung-Sol big bottle reissues that came with my Bassman however if you have a head there may be clearance issues with those? If that’s the case their regular 6L6’s are also pretty great! My next favorite as far as new production 6L6’s would probably Mullard’s....
        I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Best Tubes for 1970 Bassman

          I ended up reading a bunch of reviews and am thinking to get the tad 6l6


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Best Tubes for 1970 Bassman

            which? there are two. the 6l6wgc and 6l6gc. kinda ge vs rca style

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Best Tubes for 1970 Bassman

              Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              which? there are two. the 6l6wgc and 6l6gc. kinda ge vs rca style
              I did WGC for the extra mids, now Iím thinking about if the master volume mod would be worth it. This sucka is super loud...


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Best Tubes for 1970 Bassman

                Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
                6L6ís or 5881ís if youíre feeling frisky....


                Lol, sorry... Iím pretty impressed with the Tung-Sol big bottle reissues that came with my Bassman however if you have a head there may be clearance issues with those? If thatís the case their regular 6L6ís are also pretty great! My next favorite as far as new production 6L6ís would probably Mullardís....
                What's the difference, tone wise, between 6L6 and 5881?

                Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Best Tubes for 1970 Bassman

                  Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                  What's the difference, tone wise, between 6L6 and 5881?

                  Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                  6L6GB = 5881 = more mids, less headroom, earlier breakup. Shorter fat bottle. A true 5881 should not be used if the plate and screen voltage is much more than around 400. Used in Tweeds

                  6L6GC = more scooped, more bass and treble, more headroom, late break up. But handles 450+ voltage. Should be biased hotter than 5881. Big tall bottle.

                  6L6WGC Handles GC voltage but gives a more 5881 type response. In between 5881 and 6L6GC. Short bottle.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Best Tubes for 1970 Bassman

                    Ok, that matches my experience with them. Just checking my ear.

                    Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Best Tubes for 1970 Bassman

                      Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                      6L6GB = 5881 = more mids, less headroom, earlier breakup. Shorter fat bottle. A true 5881 should not be used if the plate and screen voltage is much more than around 400. Used in Tweeds

                      6L6GC = more scooped, more bass and treble, more headroom, late break up. But handles 450+ voltage. Should be biased hotter than 5881. Big tall bottle.

                      6L6WGC Handles GC voltage but gives a more 5881 type response. In between 5881 and 6L6GC. Short bottle.
                      Wow thatís great, 2 things I wanted: more mids and earlier breakup. Perfect


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X