New cab day......warning mojo overload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cab day......warning mojo overload

This cab just oozes mojo goodness. Best I can tell it is a 1972. hand signed in pencil by Jim Marshall and someone else. Sounds super sweet and looks even better

Last edited by Jr_vw2; 05-12-2019, 03:54 PM.
    Insert witty signature here so people on the internet will think I'm cool....

Re: New cab day......warning mojo overload

Cool man!!! What speakers were in it or did you get it unloaded?
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
      Cool man!!! What speakers were in it or did you get it unloaded?
      Celestion g12 75

Comment

Originally posted by Jr_vw2 View Post
        Celestion g12 75
        Definitely not stock speakers then.

How are you dating it to '72, and what does the back panel look like?
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Wicked cool!
          Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
            Definitely not stock speakers then.

How are you dating it to '72, and what does the back panel look like?
            Back panel is partical board. I tried to follow this chart along with the chart on celsstions website for dating speakers. But I may have gotten thr date code wrong on the speakers apparently. I was seeing the first of the code on the speaker as EM. But I see now that could also go as dec 1995
            But I am also taking all this into account of the seller saying it was an early 70s cab. but I'm not sure how he knew either.

Last edited by Jr_vw2; 05-13-2019, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jr_vw2 View Post
              Back panel is partical board. I tried to follow this chart along with the chart on celsstions website for dating speakers. But I may have gotten thr date code wrong on the speakers apparently. I was seeing the first of the code on the speaker as EM. But I see now that could also go as dec 1995
              But I am also taking all this into account of the seller saying it was an early 70s cab. but I'm not sure how he knew either.

https://www.celestion.com/speakerwor...peaker_Built?/
              I was asking for a picture of the back panel because the location of the jack and badge (if any) would offer further clues regarding when the cab was built.
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I'll have to take one. Jack is located at the bottom and there is no badge anywhere.

Comment

I did have one on my phone I guess

Comment

That back panel is definitely a 70s cab and not a later reissue. It also has a 9" logo and large checkerboard, which could be as early as mid/late '72 or as late as early/mid '76. Unfortunately without the original speakers it may not be possible to narrow it down further.

Edit: I have a similar cab, but the jack panel, grillcloth, and logo have all been replaced. The speakers are original G12Hs and the other specs date it to either '77 or '78. I don't remember the date codes on the speakers; one of these years I'll have to open it and look again. Either way it sounds amazing, I just wish it wasn't so f***ing heavy!
                    Last edited by dystrust; 05-13-2019, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                      That back panel is definitely a 70s cab and not a later reissue. It also has a 9" logo and large checkerboard, which could be as early as mid/late '72 or as late as early/mid '76. Unfortunately without the original speakers it may not be possible to narrow it down further.

Edit: I have a similar cab, but the jack panel, grillcloth, and logo have all been replaced. The speakers are original G12Hs and the other specs date it to either '77 or '78. I don't remember the date codes on the speakers; one of these years I'll have to open it and look again. Either way it sounds amazing, I just wish it wasn't so f***ing heavy
                      Awesome man. Very informative. Thank you. I've never been a fan of these speakers and I'd like to load it with v30's.

Comment

Cool, it’s great to see a nice, well used old Marshall... looks great!

I bought my son an older angled 4 x 12 unloaded a few years ago and I think that was the same era. I put 2 old G30H’s and 2 old G65’s I bought off UK blues-rock man Aynsley Lister.... as already stated great but Heavy as f@&£.

Enjoy yours!

Comment

Working...
                        X