Laney IRT 60 for metal.. tubescreamer is the answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney IRT 60 for metal.. tubescreamer is the answer

Hi guys... Ive seen some posts reguarding tube amp and people wishing they had a tad more gain. Often looking into different tubes ect... I recently picked up a Laney IRT 60. Its freakin awesome.. I did however need just a tad more gain for harmonics and nice chugs. Using the lead channel, roll back the gain a little, like to 8. Hit it with a tubescreamer with drive on like 1 or 2. Very low. You can really adjust tone through the pedal also. And wha la... rippin freakin awesome nastiness.

Re: Laney IRT 60 for metal.. tubescreamer is the answer

A friend of mine has a Laney IRT60. With a Les Paul and Super Distortions, the last thing I thought of it was "it needs more gain". I thought it had ungodly amounts of gain as it is and I definitely backed it off quite a bit.

Could you share any clips?
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

A lot of people who use tube screamers use them not so much for the gain as for the tightening, particularly in metal. I have an IRT-Studio, and with mine I find the noise goes up too high past a certain point in the gain, so I could see stacking dirt to get more usable gain.

Gain 0-2, tone to taste, volume 7 or higher is a pretty standard setting range for the Tube Screamer for overdrive and tightening bass cut. Adjusting where the bass clips (or doesn't) and where it's cut or boosted really alters behavior with distortion.

On the IRT, play with the EQ pull shifts and the Dynamics control in the power amp. Lower Dynamics is tighter low end, higher dynamics is bassier. A bit like a power amp Depth control, really affects character of the power amp and speaker interaction. I found, at least in the EL-84 IRT-Studio, low Dynamics were more Marshally, high more Fender. At least with my speaker cab.

Comment

Tubescreamer’s usually are the best answer!!!

�� LOL...
        I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

I have an IRT 60, and I think the lead channels sucks. It has that fizz sound on the backgorund that I just can't get rid of regardless of the setting. And I think the gain is kinda short

My solution is using the clean channel with my trusty Roctron Distortion.

Lest we forget, the push/pull EQ is BS.

Actually I am kinda disappointed with the IRT60 but since I got it brand new with 30% discount, I can't complain...lol.

I wonder if I would be far better with a Blackstar HT60.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
            I have an IRT 60, and I think the lead channels sucks. It has that fizz sound on the backgorund that I just can't get rid of regardless of the setting. And I think the gain is kinda short

My solution is using the clean channel with my trusty Roctron Distortion.

Lest we forget, the push/pull EQ is BS.

Actually I am kinda disappointed with the IRT60 but since I got it brand new with 30% discount, I can't complain...lol.

I wonder if I would be far better with a Blackstar HT60.
            Fully sharing the sentiment here. The EQ is never quite right and it's a pain to get the fizz out. No meat in the mids, no sag, kind of a dead sounding amplifier to me.

By far my least favorite metal-oriented tube amp I've ever tried. You'd definitely be better with an HT60. I'd even take an Orange Crush 120 happily over it. That thing's got BALLS.
            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Despair View Post
              A lot of people who use tube screamers use them not so much for the gain as for the tightening, particularly in metal. I have an IRT-Studio, and with mine I find the noise goes up too high past a certain point in the gain, so I could see stacking dirt to get more usable gain.

Gain 0-2, tone to taste, volume 7 or higher is a pretty standard setting range for the Tube Screamer for overdrive and tightening bass cut. Adjusting where the bass clips (or doesn't) and where it's cut or boosted really alters behavior with distortion.

On the IRT, play with the EQ pull shifts and the Dynamics control in the power amp. Lower Dynamics is tighter low end, higher dynamics is bassier. A bit like a power amp Depth control, really affects character of the power amp and speaker interaction. I found, at least in the EL-84 IRT-Studio, low Dynamics were more Marshally, high more Fender. At least with my speaker cab.
              Ok sweet. I definitely will. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                Fully sharing the sentiment here. The EQ is never quite right and it's a pain to get the fizz out. No meat in the mids, no sag, kind of a dead sounding amplifier to me.

By far my least favorite metal-oriented tube amp I've ever tried. You'd definitely be better with an HT60. I'd even take an Orange Crush 120 happily over it. That thing's got BALLS.
                I know what you mean with fizz, thats why I backed down the gain a bit and use tubescreamer to handle that but of top end. Sorry you dont like it, but I did find a sweet spot. Im a hard rock player, so the distortion were looking for may be a little different

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                  A friend of mine has a Laney IRT60. With a Les Paul and Super Distortions, the last thing I thought of it was "it needs more gain". I thought it had ungodly amounts of gain as it is and I definitely backed it off quite a bit.

Could you share any clips?
                  I've got one, and it's not necessarily that it needs more gain, but rather that it needs more saturation. It's so dry and uncompressed, and a TS helps make it a bit smoother.

@ the people having problems with fizz and midrange voicing, play around more with the volume and dynamics knobs. Volume is a really critical part of the voicing on this amp, use the "watts" knob to control how loud it is. Both Volume and Dynamics need to be high for the amp to sound right IME, but once you get it right, it can sound amazing.

Comment

Working...
                  X