banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small Amp vs Big Amp (15W EL84 vs 60W 6L6)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Amp vs Big Amp (15W EL84 vs 60W 6L6)

Hey guys,

I'm a huge fan of the laney Ironheart amps.
    They sound HUGE!
    I love how raw the upper midrange and treble frequencies sound in combination with those fat lows.
    The clean tones are really great too!

I've been wanting to make a couple 'Small Amp VS Big Amp' videos for a while and I decided to make a Laney one first.
    This one is all about the Laney IRT Studio which is a 15W amp with an EL84 power section versus the Ironheart 60W head with a 6L6 power section.
    Opinions on the sonic differences vary quite a bit so this should be the ultimate test!
    After watching this video, what is your opinion on the difference in tone?
    Which one functions better in the mix?

I would love to hear your thoughts!
    I'm also going to do one for my EVH LBX and 5150 III EL34 50W.

Last edited by Guitarjon; 05-17-2019, 06:53 AM.
    Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Re: Small Amp vs Big Amp (15W EL84 vs 60W 6L6)

I'm back with another comparison.
    This one is all about the EVH lbx vs the 5150III 50W EL34.
    The LBX is quite small with it's EL84 15W power amp but it sounds absolutely HUGE!
    The 5150 III 50W EL34 is quite a bit bigger and heavier but does it also sound bigger?
    Both sound great imho and just as with my recent Laney IRT Studio vs Ironheart 60 comparison you'll notice that the smaller amp has a little bit more mids but the differences are small on the red channel.

The blue channel is known for being a bit looser than the other blue channels of the EVH amps but I quite like having this option.
    It reminds me a lot of a Mesa Recto or Soldano.
    Because of this the blue channel on the LBX sounds a little bit tighter and mid focused.
    The LBX has no clean channel so I chose to just go with a low gain blue channel part for that bit.

What do you guys think?

Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Comment

Re: Small Amp vs Big Amp (15W EL84 vs 60W 6L6) EVH and Laney content

Great video! This is a little off topic. Just recently picked up the IRT 60..Love it!! Played my first gig with it and recieved a lot of compliments on my tone. I am new to this amp and had a couple questions. I see there is 2 6L6 tubes in there. There is a switch that chooses EL34, but I dont see EL34 tubes, is that referring to pre amp tubes? Those are power tubes though, correct? And one more question, I see quite a few configurations for speaker outputs. Im using a Marshall 1960a cab which is a 4 ohlm. I have another 4ohlm cab I would like to use, but dont see an option for 2 4olm outputs. I get confused with series and parellel stuff a little, but I know tube amps you do not want to mess up on this. Wonderi g if you could help. Thank you for reading.
      Last edited by Silas2342; 05-20-2019, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X